PDA

View Full Version : Help with InDesign (CS3)

ktinkel
12-17-2010, 01:50 PM
I haven’t laid hands on this program since version CS1 or maybe 2. Now I am trying to typeset a poetry pamphlet for a friend, and am going nuts. In fact, I went to an old machine and set it up in PageMaker 6.5 first, then had ID open it — that’s how inept I have become!

Most urgently: Where the heck do I find the Master?

I had hairlines in the top margin in the PageMaker original, set to show on all inside pages. But only occasional hairlines show in ID (or maybe they’re showing only on right-hand pages). I cannot find a command to Show Master items on the pages, nor can I find the Master itself to see if it is set up correctly. I know it must be right in front of my nose, but I sure am stumped. And I need to set up folios on the Master. If only I could find the thing!

terrie
12-17-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm not your best source but from the ID Help ("master pages" > "creating") on a pc, it's an option off the Palette menu--you know that hard to see little right-pointing arrow on the Palette menu that has a fly-out set of options...

Hope that helps...'-}}

Terrie

Howard Allen
12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Kathleen--

You can get at the master in (at least) two different places:

1) in the Pages panel, in the upper right of the screen (see attached screenshot). Just double-click the Master page icon.

2) In the pages popup menu in the lower left of the screen (see screenshot). Click the popup menu, scroll to the bottom, and there are your masters.

Cheers,

ktinkel
12-17-2010, 05:52 PM
You can get at the master in (at least) two different places:

1) in the Pages panel, in the upper right of the screen (see attached screenshot). Just double-click the Master page icon.

2) In the pages popup menu in the lower left of the screen (see screenshot). Click the popup menu, scroll to the bottom, and there are your masters.Aha! Merci beaucoups!

I saw the pages popup at lower left, but it is marked with a circle crossed diagonally, and doesn’t seem accessible.

But the upper right of the Pages panel seems to work. Although I do not see whether I have done anything. That is, I created a text box with a # sign in it, but the regular pages just show the symbol, not folios.

Groan. Thanks. I will poke around.

ktinkel
12-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks. Not sure — I haven’t got it yet, but will persevere in the morning.

I was an ace with PageMaker; but this is a dog. :(

Shane Stanley
12-17-2010, 06:54 PM
I created a text box with a # sign in it, but the regular pages just show the symbol, not folios.

It sounds like you haven't added the page Number. Control-click and choose Insert Special Character -> Markers, and choose current page number.

Howard Allen
12-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Aha! Merci beaucoups!

Murky buckups yourself!

Shane beat me to it re: "folios" (page numbers, I gather--sorry, you have me at a disadvantage with the lingo: I had to look that one up! :o ) I will only add that you can also insert pa... folios from the "Type" menu.

Dunno what the # symbol is about--maybe that came from the Pagemaker import? Or did you type that yourself? InDesign's page number place holders are upper case characters that correspond to the Master in question ("A" for A-Master, "B" for B-Master, etc.)

I've never done a PageMaker import (or used PM at all), sorry.

Not sure why you're getting the diagonally crossed circle symbol when you try the page number popup in the lower left--the only way I can get that is to mouse-over one of the page arrows (first, previous, next, last) on either side of the popup menu when they're greyed-out because there's only one master... are you trying to click the wrong button?

I was an ace with PageMaker; but this is a dog. :(

Stiff upper lip, Kathleen! It'll grow on you. I remember how much I loathed FreeHand 9 when I moved over from MacDraw Pro. I grew to love FH9; then I transferred my loathing to Illustrator. FWIW (nothing), I looooooove InDesign.

Cheers,

ktinkel
12-18-2010, 09:01 AM
It sounds like you haven't added the page Number. Control-click and choose Insert Special Character -> Markers, and choose current page number.Oh, duh. Thanks.

It has been a while since I went in for this stuff, and I never got used to ID’s ways.

ktinkel
12-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the useful tidbits. You and Shane may regret sticking your heads up! <g>