PDA

View Full Version : King's English

marlene
05-16-2005, 09:43 PM
pants to that!

That's a new one on me! The meaning is pretty obvious, but what's the origin?

mxh

Robin Springall
05-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Dunno where it came from, but I like it! It conveys the meaning without being offensive. The other one I like is "gonads to that!"

marlene
05-17-2005, 09:46 PM
I was hoping "pants to that" was derived from some clever bit of rhyming slang or something. <g>

mxh

Robin Springall
05-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I had this bloke in the other week, like: dead dodgy geezer if you ask me, straight from the East End, 'e was. Anyways, I could 'ardly make aht a bloomin' word 'e was sayin' coz everyfink was Cockney rhymin' slank. How many DVDs could 'e get for a monkey, he says, so I asks 'im to fill aht a copywite declaration and 'e looks at me zif I've got a screw loose and 'e starts havin' a go baht 'ow 'e'll cough up all in cash, mind, so no paperwork and none of yer funny stuff know wot I mean, eh? EH? Now, I fought monkeys didn't eat hay, aninanycase the missus would create sommat rotten if I came 'ome wiv one, like, so I says to 'im I says: "Sod orff" a bit sharp, like, so 'e gets the message, y'see. Anididanorl.

ktinkel
05-18-2005, 04:31 PM
… dead dodgy geezer… I could 'ardly make aht a bloomin' word 'e was sayin' coz everyfink was Cockney rhymin' slank. How many DVDs could 'e get for a monkey, he says, so I asks 'im to fill aht a copywite declaration and 'e looks at me zif I've got a screw loose and 'e starts havin' a go baht 'ow 'e'll cough up all in cash … I fought monkeys didn't eat hay, aninanycase the missus would create sommat rotten if I came 'ome wiv one, like … Anididanorl.Oy. What did you say? <g>

marlene
05-20-2005, 09:13 PM
An' wot's the monkey's name when it's at 'ome?

marlene
05-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Didn't you know? In England, monkeys can be used as legal tender and bartered for goods, such as DVDs. The exchange rate varies, though, so the number of DVDs per monkey is subject to change.

mxh

Robin Springall
05-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Five 'undred quid, love!

marlene
05-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Strewth! I did some Googling, and couldn't find anyfink definitive about the origin, but found this:

"... it is suggested by some that the association derives from Indian rupee banknotes featuring the animal."

mxh

Robin Springall
05-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Ah, but strewth isn't English, y'know... <gg>

Michael Rowley
05-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Robin:

strewth isn't English

You would prefer a more literal representation? Try ’s truth.

marlene
05-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Stalking strine, was I?

My bad. <LOL>

mxh