PDA

View Full Version : Where's your towel?

djb
05-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Darling Daughter and I are about to leave on this dreary, grey, rainy, long dark teatime of the soul Saturday to finally see the HHGTTG movie.

And me with this pain in the diodes all down my left side...

annc
05-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Darling Daughter and I are about to leave on this dreary, grey, rainy, long dark teatime of the soul Saturday to finally see the HHGTTG movie.

And me with this pain in the diodes all down my left side...Make sure you report back. I've got my babelfish inserted.

djb
05-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Make sure you report back. I've got my babelfish inserted.

The review is:

Mostly harmless.

annc
05-21-2005, 01:34 PM
The review is:

Mostly harmless.Sounds insipid.

djb
05-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Sounds insipid.

Oh, it was a good bit of fun. About half the film was true to the book(s) and half was a total divergence.

Hard to say what someone who had never heard the original radio series, watched the TV series or read the books would think.

Certainly worth seeing at matinee prices. <s>

annc
05-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Hard to say what someone who had never heard the original radio series, watched the TV series or read the books would think.Or played the Infocom game?

djb
05-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Or played the Infocom game?

Heh.

If you sit through the credits, the story of the invading fleet being eaten by a small dog is told toward the end...

annc
05-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Heh.

If you sit through the credits, the story of the invading fleet being eaten by a small dog is told toward the end...Interesting. Did most people say for the credits? I find it irritating when people push past me while I'm trying to watch them.

djb
05-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Interesting. Did most people say for the credits? I find it irritating when people push past me while I'm trying to watch them.
More than half stayed. Four of us.

;-)

It was not a busy theatre. When we came out, though, there was a huge lineup for Star Wars.

annc
05-21-2005, 06:33 PM
More than half stayed. Four of us.Oh, well, at least you won't have had problems reading the credits!

It was not a busy theatre. When we came out, though, there was a huge lineup for Star Wars.Mosty of whom would miss the point of most of theTHHGTTG

Franca
05-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Interesting. Did most people say for the credits? I find it irritating when people push past me while I'm trying to watch them.Me, too - I always watch the credits. Doesn't anyone care? I think they're interesting. And I have been most unamused with the current TV trend of squeezing movie credits down to microscopic size in order to use most of the screen for advertising upcoming shows while the credits roll illegibly past. And they're talking over whatever music might be playing while the credits are running so you can't hear that, either.

Especially these days, lots of folks are seeing these movies for the first time on TV - what makes the networks assume everyone's already seen the credits or doesn't want to see them? If I were any the folks in the credits I'd be ticked off at such treatment. The most disappointing thing about this practice is that the first place I saw it used was on public television years ago and nearly ever other channel and/or network has since adopted it.

annc
05-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Me, too - I always watch the credits. Doesn't anyone care? I think they're interesting. And I have been most unamused with the current TV trend of squeezing movie credits down to microscopic size in order to use most of the screen for advertising upcoming shows while the credits roll illegibly past. And they're talking over whatever music might be playing while the credits are running so you can't hear that, either.

Especially these days, lots of folks are seeing these movies for the first time on TV - what makes the networks assume everyone's already seen the credits or doesn't want to see them? If I were any the folks in the credits I'd be ticked off at such treatment. The most disappointing thing about this practice is that the first place I saw it used was on public television years ago and nearly ever other channel and/or network has since adopted it.Hmm, I don't watch movies on TV here, because they're on the commercial channels and I can't stand the ads all the way through. They also tend to finish after my bedtime. <g>

JVegVT
05-24-2005, 04:40 PM
>> And I have been most unamused with the current TV trend of squeezing movie credits down to microscopic size in order to use most of the screen for advertising upcoming shows while the credits roll illegibly past. >>

I've thought this for a long time. It's very annoying. Sometimes I've wondered about the name of an actor and figured I'd find out in the credits--but no! They're too small to read.

>> what makes the networks assume everyone's already seen the credits or doesn't want to see them? >>

It's probably true that most don't want to see them. But so what? Put it out there and if they don't want to see them, that's their choice. No need to be an accomplice!
--Judy M.

djb
05-25-2005, 06:55 AM
It's probably true that most don't want to see them. But so what? Put it out there and if they don't want to see them, that's their choice. No need to be an accomplice!
--Judy M.

No, the reason they do it is quite different.

If the crediits are running split-screen and the network does promo over top, it doesn't count as advertising minutes, it counts as broadcast time. That leaves them even more time for paid ads.