PDA

View Full Version : Managing fonts in XP

marlene
05-20-2005, 09:48 PM
This is prompted by a minor problem I'm having in QuarkXPress (v. 5). If I've got the Type 1 version of the Symbol font installed, Quark can't see it. So I have to uninstall the Type 1 and install the TrueType.

I prefer not to use TrueType, but can't figure this out. I use FontNav to manage my fonts, but I suspect XP is doing font things that I don't understand.

How can I wrest control of my fonts from XP and put it squarely on the shoulders of FontNav where it belongs?

Dunno if this would solve the Quark/Symbol problem, but I guess it's a good place to start.

mxh

John Spragens
05-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Looks like the TT version of Symbol is one of the fonts installed with XP. (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/product.aspx?PID=135)

That may mean it's difficult (or impossible?) to remove it from the main fonts folder. It may be one of those system things that XP tries to "fix" if it "breaks."

But ... the first step would be trying to take the TT version out of the main fonts folder before activating your T1 version.

Are you doing that already?

(Example: I have most of my fonts in C:\ttfonts and C:\psfonts, as appropriate, and my font manager puts shortcuts in the Windows font directory as needed.)

marlene
05-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Well, I am able to delete the TT Symbol (I do have a ttfonts folder on my D drive, where I also keep my psfonts folder) and install the Type 1 Symbol, but even after a reboot, the Type 1 Symbol font will not show up in Quark.

It does show up in other programs, so it looks like the problem is Quark. I guess I need to smack it around some.

mxh

Michael Rowley
05-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Marlene:

it looks like the problem is Quark

Windows XP does insist on Symbol's being available in the WinNT\Fonts folder, and presumably it is Symbol.TTF that it looks for.

There seem to be more fonts that Windows puts in WinNT\Fonts than is generally acknowledged: I've purged that folder lots of times, but some fonts always creep back after being deleted.