PDA

View Full Version : Using ID CS3

BobRoosth
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Working on a new project in ID. Lots of multipage, two column articles. I don't know autoflow because it insists on placing one column frames. Is there any way to convince it to use two column frames? How about CS4 or CS5?

Howard Allen
09-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Why not make two-column master pages? Then just add as many new pages (or new spreads) as you need, and flow into those.

BobRoosth
09-16-2010, 05:00 PM
The pages are two column. But autoflow insists on placing two frames per page.

Robin Springall
09-17-2010, 02:18 PM
I can flow text across a number of two-column frames in CS2. (Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?)

BobRoosth
09-17-2010, 03:43 PM
If the linked frames already existed, that works, but Shift-Clicking with a loaded text cursor on an empty underlying page, yields one frame per each column. I find it easier to work with frames that are the width of all the columns and internally divided into columns.

Robin Springall
09-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Ah, I see what you mean (sorry, bit dim...) ID CS4 works in the way you describe; dunno about CS5, but Adobe were trumpeting about how they've improved column handling so you might want to download the trial version.

BobRoosth
09-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Installed the trial. I see one or two things I like, but no change to Autoflow that I can see. I think the changes to Photoshop and the 64 bit code might make the upgrade worth while. Have to review finances first.... Every Adobe upgrade is pricey.

Howard Allen
09-20-2010, 04:27 PM
The pages are two column. But autoflow insists on placing two frames per page.

OK, I see what you mean. Weird. After trying innumerable combinations and permutations, the only thing I can figure out that will do what you want is to create your master pages with included text frames, already set up in two columns. The quickest way to do this is to check the "Master Text Frame" box in the New Document dialog. Otherwise, you'll have to create a two-column text frame (Object/Text Frame Options...) and stick it on the master page(s) yourself; that way, every time you insert a new page into the document, it will have the two-column frame pre-made, and text will autoflow into it in two columns.

BobRoosth
09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Exactly what I want. Thanks. Unfortunately, I did not select that when I created the document and it is not a modifiable option...... 80 pages into this this, I doubt it is worth trying this year's book. Next year is a different story....

Howard Allen
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Bob--

You could just duplicate whatever master page you've been using up to this point, then change the duplicate by including a two-column text frame. Then, start applying your subsequent new pages to that master, instead of to the old one. This would leave the already laid-out pages as they are.

BobRoosth
09-20-2010, 06:37 PM
I think that will work. I actually tried something like that a couple of days ago, but did not get all the steps right. Thanks for the help.