PDA

View Full Version : Table Titles in Long Documents

CRoley
09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
In our office there is a controversy about where the word 'continued' goes when a Word table spans several pages. Some people say it should go on the first page and all continuing pages except for the last page. Others say it should start on the second page of the table. Any comments as to what is correct?

terrie
09-13-2010, 11:39 AM
croley: In our office there is a controversy about where the word 'continued' goes when a Word table spans several pages. Some people say it should go on the first page and all continuing pages except for the last page. Others say it should start on the second page of the table. It's unclear from your description where the "continued" would be on the first page. If it's at the bottom of the first page, then, yes, I'd put it on the first page and any successive pages (except the last). If "continued" is at the top of the page, then I'd put it starting on the second page--and each successive page except the last.

Welcome to the forum!

Terrie

CRoley
09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
In our office there is a controversy about where the word 'continued' goes when a Word table spans several pages. Some people say it should go on the first page and all continuing pages except for the last page. Others say it should start on the second page of the table. Any comments as to what is correct?

Thanks Terrie. Actually they are talking about putting the word 'continued' after the caption. Ex: Table 4. Blah Blah (continued). Doing it this way I would think it should be on the second and following pages and not on the first page.

sky4forums
09-13-2010, 01:28 PM
If "continued" is at the top of the page, then I'd put it starting on the second page--and each successive page except the last.
Why not on the last page?

CRoley
09-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Because it is the last page and it is not continued anymore.

terrie
09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
croley: Ex: Table 4. Blah Blah (continued). Doing it this way I would think it should be on the second and following pages and not on the first page.I agree. I think it would be confusing if I saw "continued" on the first page because I would think that I'm missing part of the table...

Terrie

PS...I've moved the thread to the Print Design section...'-}}

terrie
09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
croley: Because it is the last page and it is not continued anymore.Exactly...'-}}

Terrie

CRoley
09-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Okay, I'm new at this and didn't know where to put it. Thanks

terrie
09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
croley: Okay, I'm new at this and didn't know where to put it.
No big deal as threads are very easy to move around...'-}}

>>Thanks

You're welcome...

Terrie

ktinkel
09-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi — and welcome to the forum.

I’m not sure there is an officially correct approach (although I did not check the Chicago Manual or other authority). I believe the only important rule is to avoid confusing the reader.

For that reason, I might suggest “page 1 of 5,” “page 2 of 5,” etc. on each page. It might be best at the top, bottom-aligned with the last line of the title, but in smaller type, set flush right. You could repeat that at the bottom of each page as well.

Just using the word continued alone is, as you have noted, somewhat ambiguous: Is the table to be continued? Or is it a continuation?

Steve Rindsberg
09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
If you want to be kind to your readers, consider putting "Continued on Page xx" or "Continued ..." at the bottom of the first page and every subsequent page but the last.

And start every continuation page with "Continued from ..."

annc
09-14-2010, 01:02 AM
If you want to be kind to your readers, consider putting "Continued on Page xx" or "Continued ..." at the bottom of the first page and every subsequent page but the last.

And start every continuation page with "Continued from ..."That's what I usually do.

Steve Rindsberg
09-14-2010, 06:26 AM
That's what I usually do.
Kind, as always. ;-)

Susie
09-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks Terrie. Actually they are talking about putting the word 'continued' after the caption. Ex: Table 4. Blah Blah (continued). Doing it this way I would think it should be on the second and following pages and not on the first page.

AI agree that it should not occur before the second page.

Susie
09-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Exactly...'-}}

I agree, too.

LoisWakeman
09-16-2010, 02:17 AM
Information Mapping (TM) is a technique quite widely used for presenting technical info clearly. One of the key points is that you should tell people what is going to happen next so they know what's coming, or can decide where to go next.

So, in your case, the logical thing is to tell them that the table hasn't finished yet - on every page except the last*. Assuming they are reading in the normal order, they will know the table is continued when they get to the next page as they have already seen the previous one. There's no harm in having continued in the subsequent headers, though to me it seems like overkill.

*Actually, I think it's only needed on every right-hand page except the last, since a two-page spread is self-evident - that is, unless you have lots of very similar-looking tables and they might get confused, in which case the header hint is also useful.