PDA

View Full Version : Lamentations on our old home

Anne Wright
05-16-2005, 12:21 PM
INETPUB is helpful, though.

Thanks for the kind words about our forum. We are helpful too. :-)
Kathleen, I am getting to the point that I want to convince the Internet Publishing folks to move off CS and onto vBulletin or some other forum software! Not only is it painful to go back to the Prospero software after reading messages here and on the new Pets Forums (http://www.thepetsforums.com/forums/index.php?)vBulletin forums, but it seems Compuserve is sinking to tabloid levels or lower with their promotions.

Yesterday I complained about the promotion of a thread from the new Dog Lovers Forum about dissecting live dogs - why are they promoting sickness and perversions?

It is so much more civilized here!
Anne

terrie
05-16-2005, 12:40 PM
>>annew: Yesterday I complained about the promotion of a thread from the new Dog Lovers Forum about dissecting live dogs - why are they promoting sickness and perversions?

Their "takeover" of the old Animals' forums is just disgusting! They are also censoring any post that mentions the new Petsforum on VB...it's very sad to see what the cserve forums have degnerated to...

>>It is so much more civilized here!

Indeed...'-}

Terrie

ktinkel
05-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Yesterday I complained about the promotion of a thread from the new Dog Lovers Forum about dissecting live dogs - why are they promoting sickness and perversions?Beats me. It is hard to imagine a human being — especially an animal lover — doing such a thing on purpose.

Anne Wright
05-16-2005, 09:50 PM
>>annew: Yesterday I complained about the promotion of a thread from the new Dog Lovers Forum about dissecting live dogs - why are they promoting sickness and perversions?

Their "takeover" of the old Animals' forums is just disgusting! They are also censoring any post that mentions the new Petsforum on VB...it's very sad to see what the cserve forums have degnerated to...

>>It is so much more civilized here!

Indeed...'-}

Terrie

Terrie, Here is my current avatar on P-CIS - sort of an indication I'm on the way out. I am down to seven forums that I frequent and two have very little traffic. In fact the only forum that regularly has a lot of traffic is the Democratic Forum. And since I "Ignore" the most annoying posters, that one reads pretty fast ;-)
Anne

Anne Wright
05-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Kathleen, I just can't see what the criteria for the promos is - unless it is to appeal to the lowest common denominator....
Anne

ktinkel
05-17-2005, 05:21 AM
… unless it is to appeal to the lowest common denominator....Gee — ya think? :-(

annc
05-17-2005, 01:20 PM
the only forum that regularly has a lot of traffic is the Democratic Forum. Gardening is still fairly busy by modern CIS standards.

terrie
05-17-2005, 03:16 PM
>>annew:sort of an indication I'm on the way out.

I love it...'-}}

Terrie

Steve Rindsberg
05-17-2005, 06:47 PM
They're PROMOTING a thread about vivisection???

I wonder if anyone's forwarded links to PETA.

Anne Wright
05-17-2005, 07:52 PM
They're PROMOTING a thread about vivisection???

I wonder if anyone's forwarded links to PETA.

Steve, Probably. Nothing would drive up forum traffic like a good controversial subject with extremists on both sides....
Anne

Anne Wright
05-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Ann, Yes, that's true, though the traffic has been down there a little. Fran just got back from her trip, so maybe it will pick back up?
Anne

Anne Wright
05-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Terrie, I used to not go a day without contributing a message in every one of the twenty or so forums I kept track of. Now, I can go a week or more without posting a message at all on the seven forums left on my list. It just does not seem worth dealing with that horrible software most of the time.

Plus several times recently in the middle of a session in the forums, I lose the connection to Compuserve's servers (or should I say Prospero's servers?) and cannot get back in for hours or days. No other site I visist drops off the internet like they do so frequently. Not a great way to build "community".

Anne

Molly/CA
05-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Gardening is busy enough, but if BC had persisted in his demand that we quit "operating in stealth mode" and all display our gavels, and if gavels followed sysops from forum to forum, you would see very few posts without sledgehammers. (does this tell you something about the mindset? We retorted that we think of it as "friendly" mode--) I think this is becoming more and more true of more and more forums -- most of the old members have voted for PeeCis with their feet, the very occasional new face seldom stays for more than one post --unless a keeping-the-faith sysop in some other forum and forced onto CS while their forum lives. Like DTP, GARDEN offers such marvelous information and fun babble (shameless plug) that people make a great effort to put up with the new software and the disgusting ads (sexy lingerie for old lady gardeners! Well, it's a thought... for a cartoon...) and dubious links.

A person --outside member, clearly-- complained in Hardware (PCHW) that he'd followed a link that was supposed to clean up his computer and make it run faster and it only led to a page with a mixed up bunch of junk on it and does PCHW know what it's doing. This may be my last day on CS as I was so saddened and dismayed by the necessarily soft answers from the forum people that I let loose a real blast. I've been threatened for far less. I'm sure the poor sucker had clicked on one of the (increasingly tacky) "hot search" ad links that are formatted to look like part of the forum, on my screen a light brown rather than the light yellow of the actual forum panels and at the top of the left panel just above real forum windows.

It seems to me that the more run of the mill forums like GARDEN, PETS and so on, interests that are well served in several and more places on the web, need to realize that to survive they need to gather together under one umbrella. SimPilot and a couple others are making efforts in this direction now but most the forums seem to think they'd rather go their own way. The common workaround of having a forum free with a few ads and often somewhat or more than somewhat limited posting and even viewing privileges, or with a fee and no ads and all amenities, can work as well for a conglomerate (cartel??!!) as for a lone forum.

Fortunately, this forum is at once so targeted, covers such a wide range of skills, and has such awesomely knowledgeable people that we should keep growing and doing OK. I learn an incredible amount even though by comparison I'm the rankest of dilettante beginners and always will be.

Censored how, PETS PCIS? Any chance we can drop in and pee-kay (phonetic for piqu-accentaigue"e", though anyone who's read Power of One may see another possibility) them a little? I have really had it with Nazi rule.

Steve Rindsberg
05-18-2005, 07:45 PM
According to my mom, the big uproar in Alabama is Dog/Hog fights. Unbelievable ....

Here's hoping CIS doesn't get wind of that one.

annc
05-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Ann, Yes, that's true, though the traffic has been down there a little. Fran just got back from her trip, so maybe it will pick back up?I've been busy lately, and only going into CIS once a day at most, and mostly twice or three times a week, but every time I look in My Stuff, the Gardening new posts are way ahead of the other forums I visit. They seem to be around 100 a day still, which is pretty good for CIS these days.

I remember when DTP had more than 300 messages a day, most days...

Molly/CA
05-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Those "new posts" figures seem to me to be very specious --as they seem to have locked me out of logging into all of Compuserve for saying (seven ways from Sunday) that I didn't like their ads, I can't go and count, but I know I arrived at the conclusion that they had set the stats up to make PCIS look good, not to count anything, by counting!

While playing around to see if there were any back doors yesterday, I visited both the Compuserve Home and the Forum Home and and believe me, if you were a sysop in Pets and had any sense at all you wouldn't want the people their "promotions" will attract within a thousand miles of the forum! Or yourself. I think it was cloning, yesterday. Anything to look sensational and attract the kind of people who will click on ad links presented as content to Horoscopes, Sexy Lingerie, three varieties of sex chat, Vegas deals, celebrity diets, and my favorite: "Brazil Celebrates Orgasm Day."

ElyseC
05-19-2005, 07:39 PM
and my favorite: "Brazil Celebrates Orgasm Day."!!!!! Had I not caught myself immediately after reading that, I'd have had some nice malbec wine to wipe off my screen and keyboard! What on EARTH???

First class brand, now gutted and crammed into the toilet with the tabloids. Very sad.

annc
05-19-2005, 08:09 PM
"Brazil Celebrates Orgasm Day."We obviously left CIS at the wrong time. Just think how we could have enhanced our reputation and gathered more , desirable members with links like that?

ElyseC
05-20-2005, 08:23 AM
We obviously left CIS at the wrong time. Just think how we could have enhanced our reputation and gathered more , desirable members with links like that?<snort! guffaw! choke!>

terrie
05-20-2005, 02:27 PM
>>annew: Now, I can go a week or more without posting a message at all on the seven forums left on my list. It just does not seem worth dealing with that horrible software most of the time.

That's my experience too...very sad...

Terrie

terrie
05-20-2005, 02:38 PM
>>molly: Censored how, PETS PCIS? Any chance we can drop in and pee-kay (phonetic for piqu-accentaigue"e", though anyone who's read Power of One may see another possibility) them a little? I have really had it with Nazi rule.

I tried to go to the Animals forum to read the Horses section and was dumped into this bizarro "new" All Animals [sic] Community...stumbled from there into the Cat Lovers forum and asked what happened to the Horses section.

When I went back a couple of days later, I'd by then received an email from the new Pets Forum ( http://www.thepetsforums.com/ ) about their move from cserve.

Soooo...I went back to the Cat Lovers forum where I now I had a reply to my original post basically telling me nothing and suggesting that perhaps I'd want to ask to have a Horse forum created (not telling me how to do that mind you)...

Being the pissy sort that I am, I posted a reply saying that I'd found the Horses section at the new PetsForum giving the url...

My reply never made it to the board...still hasn't and it's been at least a week and a half...

Tacky...very tacky...

Terrie