PDA

View Full Version : Gold colour

Robin Springall
05-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Any suggestions for a nice, rich gold colour in CMYK? Feels like I'm banging my head against a wall trying to get it right...

donmcc
05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
It is hard to get Gold without a metallic. Gold is really just a dirty yellow. Try something between yellow and brown.

ktinkel
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Try something like .5/20/100/0. Looks tolerable when printed from my CMYK laser printer. I was trying to match a tape measure that is a pretty goldenrod color, and it comes close.

That assumes you meant that sort of “gold” and not the metal. I think metal is impossible without using metallic inks.

terrie
05-27-2010, 04:33 PM
robin: Any suggestions for a nice, rich gold colour in CMYK? Feels like I'm banging my head against a wall trying to get it right...Gold is really tricky...

I don't work in CMYK but I've attached the image I use to sign my artwork--normally, the background is transparent and the gold edge has had a number of different layer effects applied...

The RGB color is: 223/172/72 and also take a look at 221/161/78

Hope that helps...

Terrie

Bo Aakerstrom
05-27-2010, 06:03 PM
A gradient might be an option. Even so, the end result could be on the dull side, depending on what it is printed on.

Benwiggy
05-28-2010, 12:39 AM
I'd agree with Bo.
You can't get "teh shiney" without putting in some shading. A single block of colour is never going to recreate it.

Robin Springall
05-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Gadzooks, Bo - I think you've got it! Since the client's budget can't stretch to gold foil blocking (which I've used before to great effect), and Pantone Gold just isn't worth the money, a gradient such as yours might well work.

Bo Aakerstrom
05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
The example is a Canvas standard gradient, perhaps something more on the subtle side might be advisable though...

Howard Allen
05-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Interesting thing about gold. It's very easy to make convincing photos of gold, and these photos when printed are using CMYK, so you wouldn't think it should be that hard. Bo's hit the nail on the head with gradients.

If you study photos of gold (e.g. attached, taken from here (http://www.jazzhostels.com/blog/29-10-cool-historic-buildings-in-new-york-city/)), you realize that it's never solid colour, it's always a combination of gradients of yellow, orange, brown, etc. all at different angles, and it's the gradients that give it the metallic look.

Robin Springall
06-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Thank you everyone. I've passed on your comments to el cliente, and he's decided to do the thing properly and go for gold foil blocking. We've done it before and it looks amazing, though the price is pretty hair-raising!

Bo Aakerstrom
06-07-2010, 03:57 AM
It really is the best option, you can't get the effect of real reflections using gradients as it becomes a static illusion at best.

If you put your hat on it will keep the hair down.:)