PDA

View Full Version : Font Article in May 16 NY Times

Gerry Kowarsky
05-16-2005, 07:56 AM
There is in interesting Critic's Notebook in today's New York Times entitled, "Arial, Mon Amour, and Other Font Passions (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/16/arts/design/16typo.html?ex=1116388800&en=6a09e1d6050e56de&ei=5070)." Perpaps even more interesting is that the article is currenly number 9 on the Web site's list of most e-mailed articles.

Michael Rowley
05-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Gerry:

There is in interesting Critic's Notebook in today's New York Times

Especially interesting is the opening para:

'The Internet is a nice place for font wonks to hang out. They can laugh at other people's typographic blunders, swap alphabets, snipe at famous designers and ban fonts they hate.'

ktinkel
05-16-2005, 08:11 AM
There is in interesting Critic's Notebook in today's New York Times entitled, "Arial, Mon Amour, and Other Font Passions (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/16/arts/design/16typo.html?ex=1116388800&en=6a09e1d6050e56de&ei=5070)." Perpaps even more interesting is that the article is currenly number 9 on the Web site's list of most e-mailed articles.Nice publicity for Mark Simonson (once a member of the DTP forum).

The tone of the piece annoys me, along with bits of confusion here and there, but I always like to see font articles in the Grey Lady and other mainstream publications.

Thanks for the link.

Gerry Kowarsky
05-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Gerry:

There is in interesting Critic's Notebook in today's New York Times

'The Internet is a nice place for font wonks to hang out. They can laugh at other people's typographic blunders, swap alphabets, snipe at famous designers and ban fonts they hate.'

Remind you of any place we know? <g>

Gerry Kowarsky
05-16-2005, 08:13 AM
The tone of the piece annoys me, along with bits of confusion here and there, but I always like to see font articles in the Grey Lady and other mainstream publications.

Right. The existence of the article makes up for the annoyances.

ktinkel
05-16-2005, 08:14 AM

'The Internet is a nice place for font wonks to hang out. They can laugh at other people's typographic blunders, swap alphabets, snipe at famous designers and ban fonts they hate.'There certainly is a lot of that going on (well, not the banning part — people can try, but …).

However, many of the typography e-mail lists, blogs, and forums are full of the other stuff.