PDA

View Full Version : Help?!?!?!

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
01-30-2005, 01:58 PM
I posted a response message twice in a the guitar thread. Have no idea how to correct the problem. Have no idea how to deal with this format. Have no idea where to go for for help.

HELP!!!!

(Why isn't Bookman one of the available fonts?)

I'm used to getting email links to click on to take me to Forum messages!

annc
01-30-2005, 02:30 PM
I posted a response message twice in a the guitar thread. Have no idea how to correct the problem. Have no idea how to deal with this format. Have no idea where to go for for help.

HELP!!!!I'll hunt down your duplicate post and get rid of it for you.

(Why isn't Bookman one of the available fonts?)We can't control those fonts; they're part of the forum software interface.

I'm used to getting email links to click on to take me to Forum messages!When you post in a discussion, you're automatically subscribed to it and will get the e-mail reminders unless you turn the option off in your User Control Pane (User CP). You can subscribe to other threads by clicking on the Thread Tools link in the navigation bar.

Welcome to our new home!

Andrew B.
01-30-2005, 02:33 PM
There should be an "Edit" button on your message. You can go into this interface and delete your message.

Paul
01-30-2005, 03:51 PM
(Why isn't Bookman one of the available fonts?)

I was going to say that it is because the designers of the software have taste and discretion. But I see that Book Antiqua is available, so I am not so sure about that - why not use Palatino Linotype?

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
01-31-2005, 04:19 AM
I'll hunt down your duplicate post and get rid of it for you.

We can't control those fonts; they're part of t\0\05{\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0interface.

When you post in a discussion, you're automatically subscribed to it and will get the e-mail reminders unless you turn the option off in your User Control Pane (User CP). You can subscribe to other threads by clicking on the Thread Tools link in the navigation bar.

Welcome to our new home!

Thanks, Anne--This is going to take some getting used to!

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
01-31-2005, 04:22 AM
I don't see an "Edit" button--and it's going to take me a while to get used to all of the stuff! Ah well, yet another "learning experience"!

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
01-31-2005, 04:23 AM
I was going to say that it is because the designers of the software have taste and discretion.

LOL! (Thanks)

ktinkel
01-31-2005, 05:21 AM
It’s great to see you here, Carol. Thanks for (re)joining us.

ktinkel
01-31-2005, 05:23 AM
I don't see an "Edit" button …It should appear at the bottom of the messages as you read them. If not, let us know, as something may be broken.

What display mode are you using? Threaded, Hybrid, Flat? (Perhaps that affects it.)

Bob the Beta Tester
01-31-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't see an "Edit" button--and it's going to take me a while to get used to all of the stuff! Ah well, yet another "learning experience"!

The Edit button only appears when you are viewing your own message. It will appear in the lower right corner of your message. Using this, you will be able to edit or delete your message. The exception to this is if your message is a thread-starter, and removing it would kill a thread. In those cases you can only modify it. A staff member would have to remove it.

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-01-2005, 04:16 AM
Thanks for (re)joining us.

Actually, I'm bewildered by this place! I see that you've asked me some questions in another message, so maybe I can focus better there.

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-01-2005, 04:27 AM
It should appear at the bottom of the messages as you read them. If not, let us know, as something may be broken.

What display mode are you using? Threaded, Hybrid, Flat? (Perhaps that affects it.)

Okay. I _am_ getting a edit message button on messages I've already posted, which I didn't realize yesterday.

But I have no idea at all about what display mode I'm using! I'm also not using the quote button successfully--that is, how do you quote back only part of a post?

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-01-2005, 04:28 AM
There should be an "Edit" button on your message. You can go into this interface and delete your message.

Thanks. The button appears only after I post, though.

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-01-2005, 04:30 AM
The Edit button only appears when you are viewing your own message. It will appear in the lower right corner of your message. Using this, you will be able to edit or delete your message. The exception to this is if your message is a thread-starter, and removing it would kill a thread. In those cases you can only modify it. A staff member would have to remove it.

Yes, thanks. I discovered that this morning.

ktinkel
02-01-2005, 05:43 AM
… I have no idea at all about what display mode I'm using! The Display Mode option is available at top right whenever you’re reading messages. It disappears in Reply, however.

I'm also not using the quote button successfully--that is, how do you quote back only part of a post?When you want to reply, click on the Quote option beneath the message. That places the entire message within the quote and /quote codes.

You can delete any text you want, so long as you leave the /quote at the end.

If you want to break the quote up, as I have here, end the first bit with /quote, enter your comment, and then type in the quote=blahblah (in square brackets, of course — just as the forum software would do) before the next quoted bit.

It does take effort, but it gets easier once you are confident of the result!

ktinkel
02-01-2005, 05:47 AM
Actually, I'm bewildered by this place! I see that you've asked me some questions in another message, so maybe I can focus better there.I am sorry it is bewildering. I found these forum systems confusing myself, but now that we have tested four or five of them (and this one extensively) I find that it seems normal. Well, normal-ish.

As time goes on we will try to make it more and more old-CIS-like (not ASCII, of course; but organized sensibly so that less quoting is required and better labeled so that options are clear).

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-01-2005, 08:12 AM
I am sorry it is bewildering. .

I'm not. It gives some measure of the current distance between "writer" and "audience", that is [i.e.], in this cyberage, the "posters" and the "lurkers".

It took a hunk of time (keystrokes) to be able to condense to this sequence of questions:

1. How do I change my Screen Name to Sturmella Carol Beaumont?

2. I am going to continue receiving email at Sturmella@cs.com; it is helpful to have that click-on link available. The email notices arriving at that address currently require a c&p, eventual arrival at sign in door, etc, i.e. aggravation. Suggestion?

ktinkel
02-01-2005, 08:23 AM
1. How do I change my Screen Name to Sturmella Carol Beaumont?I am not sure. But I will find out. Worst case would be to rejoin with the name you want; then we could delete the earlier one. But let me find out if you can do something simpler.

2. I am going to continue receiving email at Sturmella@cs.com; it is helpful to have that click-on link available. The email notices arriving at that address currently require a c&p, eventual arrival at sign in door, etc, i.e. aggravation. Suggestion?I’m not sure I understand the question, exactly. Do you mean that when you receive e-mail notification of a message and click on the link, that this forum declines to recognize you and makes you log in? If so, I’ll try to find out about that too.

Seems I don’t know much. Yet, anyway.

Andrew B.
02-01-2005, 04:27 PM
The button appears only after I post, though.

Right. It is there so you can go back in and make changes after you post.

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Do you mean that when you receive e-mail notification of a message and click on the link, that this forum declines to recognize you and makes you log in?

No, I mean that when I receive e-mail notification of a message there is no link so I need to cut and paste into the Go Line, which takes me to the messages but does not allow me to post until I sign in.

And I'm not sure whether to thank you or go stand in the corner for the name change <g>. Quite a shock!

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-02-2005, 05:07 AM
The Display Mode option is available at top right whenever you’re reading messages. It disappears in Reply, however.

Okay. I found it.

If you want to break the quote up . . .

This works, too. Thanks!

ktinkel
02-02-2005, 05:42 AM
No, I mean that when I receive e-mail notification of a message there is no link so I need to cut and paste into the Go Line, which takes me to the messages but does not allow me to post until I sign in.Hmmm. I thought it was working better than that. I just set this thread to notify me when there is a reply so I can see what I get.

And I'm not sure whether to thank you or go stand in the corner for the name change <g>. Quite a shock!I suspect one of the other sysops fixed it for you; I wasn’t smart enough to think of it myself! <g>

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-03-2005, 03:48 AM
Hmmm. I thought it was working better than that. I just set this thread to notify me when there is a reply so I can see what I get.

How did this work out for you? The cut and paste took me to your message, but when I attempted to answer it I was redirected to the sign-in page AGAIN.

ktinkel
02-03-2005, 05:04 AM
How did this work out for you? The cut and paste took me to your message, but when I attempted to answer it I was redirected to the sign-in page AGAIN.Clicking on the link that followed “This thread is located at:” near the top of the message brought me directly to your message, with no stop at the sign-in.

I almost never log out. (In fact, I just leave a browser window or tab open here.) Are you logging out between visits? That might explain things.

You could test it by leaving however you normally do, then entering the forum URL to see if that also makes you sign in.

Andrew B.
02-03-2005, 04:36 PM
How did this work out for you? The cut and paste took me to your message, but when I attempted to answer it I was redirected to the sign-in page AGAIN.

How are you set up in terms of entering the forum. Do you allow cookies in your browser? Do you log out every time you leave here?

Andrew B.
02-03-2005, 09:13 PM
I almost never log out. (In fact, I just leave a browser window or tab open here.) Are you logging out between visits? That might explain things.I've been logging out lately. And I just clicked on an email link and got to the thread. Clicked "Quote" and was asked to log in. But considering that I was logged out, this makes sense. So I guess the thing do for instant access is to not log out, but instead, simply close the browser window.

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-04-2005, 03:01 AM
Clicking on the link that followed “This thread is located at:” near the top of the message brought me directly to your message, with no stop at the sign-in.

I get my email at a CompuServe address, and there is no link to click. A copy and paste into the GO line got me to this message, but an attempt to respond took me to the sign-in page again.

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-04-2005, 03:25 AM
How are you set up in terms of entering the forum. Do you allow cookies in your browser? Do you log out every time you leave here?

I am not logging out, and I have never understood cookies and therefore have no idea what to do or not to do about them.

As for entering the forum, I'm using the tried-and-true c&p method and putting up with expending the keystrokes to type my current user name at each entry . . . not a complaint, just an answer to your question.

It's snowing here right now, and I am unexpectedly having a nostalgia attack for my beloved trusty Olympia typewriter, lost in a fire more than twenty-five years ago!

Andrew B.
02-05-2005, 08:30 AM
I have never understood cookies and therefore have no idea what to do or not to do about them.

If you are not familiar with cookies, chances are you have the default browser setting, which should allow for cookies to be written correctly. OTOH, if you did know how to deal with cookies, I'd suggest deleting them for this forum and letting them start fresh.

Which browser are you using? And what type of computer (Mac, PC, etc.)

BTW, a few days ago I started letting my Opera Browser log me in with its Wand feature. This way I don't have to deal with logins anymore. But this might not be a suitable solution for many people.

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Which browser are you using? And what type of computer (Mac, PC, etc.)

I've got an iMac running system X version 2.8 (except when it kicks into system 9 if I'm using Microsoft Office 2001 for Word, sigh!) The browser for getting to this Forum is whatever compuserve uses to get me here. I do have Mozilla installed and was using it for a while, but I don't get e-mail notifications if I post from there.

Meaning, I suppose, I appear to be willing to put up with the hassle of signing in rather than make a browser change. Ah, well!

Andrew B.
02-10-2005, 08:48 PM
The browser for getting to this Forum is whatever compuserve uses to get me here. I do have Mozilla installed and was using it for a while, but I don't get e-mail notifications if I post from there.

This is an odd pattern, because email is sent by the forum, and should not depend on your browser. Also, the only way I can see your email being stripped of the links (as you mentioned before) is if some program down the line is removing them.

You mention that you are using whatever CompuServe uses to get you here. I have no idea what that is. Are you using software that CompuServe supplies to interface with CompuServe, and it is that same software you are using to browse here?