PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop black

Robin Springall
09-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Is there a way to place a black and white object in a CMYK Photoshop document without the program converting it to rich black?

Cristen Gillespie
09-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Is there a way to place a black and white object in a CMYK Photoshop document without the program converting it to rich black?

How about creating a swatch with O,O,O,100K and apply that? As long as the document is in CMYK mode, it should stick.

Robin Springall
09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
This is weird: it works now on my PC at home, but when I tried it earlier on the Mac at the studio, Photoshop converted the black object to rich black. Both computers are running CS4.

Time to go to bed, I reckon, and try it again in the morning!

Mike
09-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Must be a preferences setting somewhere?

Or maybe not. Maybe some programmer just thought rich black looked nicer. Maybe it looks better on the Mac's glossy screen or something. After all, who cares about printing documents these days?

Benwiggy
09-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Or maybe not. Maybe some programmer just thought rich black looked nicer. Maybe it looks better on the Mac's glossy screen or something. After all, who cares about printing documents these days?
Snow Leopard changes the default screen gamma from 1.8 to 2.2.
So, farewell, DTP....

ktinkel
09-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Snow Leopard changes the default screen gamma from 1.8 to 2.2.
So, farewell, DTP....It is only the default, right? Unlike the glossy screens on recent Macs, you can easily change it!

Apple has had a love-hate relationship with the graphics market that has loyally supported the company for its entire history. Sigh.

Franca
09-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Apple has had a love-hate relationship with the graphics market that has loyally supported the company for its entire history. Sigh.Doesn't seem fair, does it?

ktinkel
09-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Doesn't seem fair, does it?I guess I have to quote my late father-in-law, who taught in a NYC trade school for 48 years: “Life is not a fair machine!” (Or, sometimes, “So who promised you fair?” )

You have to imagine the New York accent yourself.