PDA

View Full Version : Hint of Fontographer’s fate

ktinkel
05-03-2005, 06:45 AM
On the Type Design mail list (http://type-design.p90.net/),* Adobe’s David Lemon dropped this tantalizing snippet:
The minute I heard about the Macromedia plans, I started thinking about Fontographer too. But my thoughts proved moot; it seems that FOG is going elsewhere.
Someone else asked where it is going, but so far no response.

ElyseC
05-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Oo! It's going somewhere other than the scrap heap, sounds to me!

ktinkel
05-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Oo! It's going somewhere other than the scrap heap, sounds to me!Dunno. David did go on to make some gloomy predictions.

The discussion on the list is getting a bit heated now. Interesting, too.

Mike Wickham
05-08-2005, 10:35 AM
On another list, someone brought up the hope of future development of Fontographer with its new home at Adobe. Dov Isaacs of Adobe posted a reply about how Fontographer would be useless without a complete rewrite from the ground up. Though he didn't come right out and say it, the tone I read from the message was more one of Adobe never doing anything with Fontographer than of it taking the time to rewrite from scratch.

Mike

ktinkel
05-08-2005, 12:11 PM
On another list, someone brought up the hope of future development of Fontographer with its new home at Adobe. Dov Isaacs of Adobe posted a reply about how Fontographer would be useless without a complete rewrite from the ground up. Though he didn't come right out and say it, the tone I read from the message was more one of Adobe never doing anything with Fontographer than of it taking the time to rewrite from scratch.I think David Lemon (also of Adobe, from the type group) said that Fontographer is not part of the package, so it appears that it will not be for Adobe to do anything with it.

Sure wish we knew where it went. There was some discussion that FontLab would acquire it, but the two philosophies are so divergent that I wonder what they would do with it. (I know FL cannot read .FOG files, which would help Fontographer users migrate to FontLab.)

Ah, well, we will probably learn about this in the fullness of time!

donmcc
05-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Ah, well, we will probably learn about this in the fullness of time!

How prophetic.

Don McCahill

Eric Ladner
05-15-2005, 05:41 PM
What does Adobe use? Proprietary, I'm sure, but any hope of a public version? Tom Phinney, are you listening?

--Eric

ktinkel
05-15-2005, 05:46 PM
What does Adobe use? Proprietary, I'm sure, but any hope of a public version? Tom Phinney, are you listening?Tom could certainly tell us what they use today. But when I visited there eons ago, Carol Twombley was using FontStudio (aka Fred Font Editor). Then she would move the outlines into Adobe’s proprietary software.

When I met Rob Slimbach, all I could see was pen-and-ink squiggles — he opened a drawer and I saw thousands of characters, most of which ended up in Poetica. Not sure what came after the drawer full of calligraphed characters, though!

donmcc
05-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Without taking any of Thomas' thunder, he has mentioned on the Adobe typography forum that they use FontShop, some proprietary software, and other tools (sorry I can't remember them ... I am just mentioning this in case it is a few days before he checks back in here.)

Don McCahill

ktinkel
05-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Without taking any of Thomas' thunder, he has mentioned on the Adobe typography forum that they use FontShop, some proprietary software, and other tools (sorry I can't remember them ... I am just mentioning this in case it is a few days before he checks back in here.)FontShop is a retailer/foundry. I suspect you mean FontLab (unless someone is still using FontStudio, but that hasn’t been updated so far as I know since, oh, 1995 or perhaps even earlier. I do know that Carol Twombly liked it, but that was eons ago (in computer time).

Adobe had its own proprietary Type 1 font program, and I think they finished all their fonts with that, no matter where they started. It’s been years since I’ve heard about that, though, and I’m not sure whether they have updated it for OpenType.

Maybe Thomas will tell us.

donmcc
05-16-2005, 03:15 PM
My bad. Of course I meant FontLab.

ktinkel
05-16-2005, 05:09 PM
My bad. Of course I meant FontLab.Off-topic, I know. But where did “my bad” come from (assuming you know)?

donmcc
05-16-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure. I think it is from "My mistake." Probably started in the black community, maybe rap, and picked up from there. That is only a guess ... I don't know for a fact.

Don

don Arnoldy
05-16-2005, 08:55 PM
But where did “my bad” come from (assuming you know)?A comedian, I think--maybe on Saturday Night Live.

--don

ElyseC
05-16-2005, 10:24 PM
A comedian, I think--maybe on Saturday Night Live.
David Spade, perhaps?

ktinkel
05-17-2005, 06:16 AM
A comedian, I think--maybe on Saturday Night Live.
That sounds about right. Seems to me it was an entertainment thing, like “Well, exCUSEEEE me!”

It is always interesting the way some expressions just take off like that.

marlene
05-17-2005, 10:58 PM
I first heard "my bad" many years (at least 7 or 8) ago from a client. He said it was a basketball term.

According to this site, Don M. was on the right track.

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20000111

I found several other sites that concurred with the origin of the term.

mxh

donmcc
05-19-2005, 07:48 AM
I suspect that the comedian mentioned just popularized what was already an urban rap/gang/whatever term.

Don McCahill