PDA

View Full Version : Get your authentic Indian name!

djb
05-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Many of you will not be familiar with the CBC Radio show "The Dead Dog Café". But don't despair!

You too can have your very own Authentic Indian Name!

Just visit http://www.aspalta.cbc.ca/deaddog_asp/aininfo.asp and Spin Those Wheels!

Yours,

Johnson Stately Beak

don Arnoldy
05-02-2005, 04:48 PM
You too can have your very own Authentic Indian Name!I got one for somebody else-- I think it fits <G>

djb
05-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Nice one, Thomas Bonsai Moods!

Anne Wright
05-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Ookay... If i use my regular signature, Anne E. Wright, I am Irmagard Vigilant Eagle. But if I just use first and last names, I am Geraldine Flannel Chunks.

Somehow, I think I'd rather be a Vigilant Eagle than Flannel Chunks

Oh! I made a mistake - Irmagard only comes up if I do not use a period after the E. Anne E. Wrigh actually comes up as Yvonne Breakable Horse - I like that one best!

ktinkel
05-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Many of you will not be familiar with the CBC Radio show "The Dead Dog Café". But don't despair!

Just visit http://www.aspalta.cbc.ca/deaddog_asp/aininfo.asp and Spin Those Wheels!

Yours,

Johnson Stately BeakOh, my! Whoever knew?

— Yours faithfully,
Louisa Exotic Ragweed
aka …

djb
05-02-2005, 05:45 PM
The wheel specifically says first name and last name only, Ms. Flannel Chunks.

Anne Wright
05-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Yeah, but I almost never use just first and last name. Plus if I put in my name as I normally use it, I come up with Yvonne Breakable Horse which is totally appropriate given my love of horses and my tendacy towards accidents

djb
05-02-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry Ms Flannel Chunks, but the wheels are never wrong.

Johnson Statley Beak.

Anne Wright
05-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Oh NOOOOO! I'm stuck with Flannel Chunks!!!!

AAAARRRGGGGHHHhhhhhhh.......

djb
05-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Oh NOOOOO! I'm stuck with Flannel Chunks!!!!

AAAARRRGGGGHHHhhhhhhh.......

Stay Calm... Be Brave... Wait for the Signs...

annc
05-02-2005, 07:17 PM
I got one for somebody else-- I think it fits <G>Platypus??? In North America?????

annc
05-02-2005, 07:21 PM

Please don't tell any of my enemies what my authentic Indan name is:

Loretta Muted Rat

djb
05-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Platypus??? In North America?????

The aboriginal persons committee for politically correct thought condemns you as a speciest.

The platypus has as much right to exist in North America as any other monotreme. How dare you deny its right as an original species.

Johnson Stately Beak

annc
05-02-2005, 07:38 PM
The aboriginal persons committee for politically correct thought condemns you as a speciest.

The platypus has as much right to exist in North America as any other monotreme. How dare you deny its right as an original species.

Johnson Stately BeakIn that case, I'd like to be a squirrel.

Loretta Muted Rat

ElyseC
05-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Hm. Growing up I always had a doll (or two) named Sally (for some unknown reason that name particularly charmed me back then), but the rest? I think I'll stick to the combo I regularly use. <g>

Sally Subtle Goat
a.k.a.

djb
05-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Yeah, and I'd like to be a stately something else...

;-)

Johnson Stately Beak

djb
05-02-2005, 09:04 PM
At this point, eec, you're the leader in the DJB Memorial Best Authentic Indian Name Award ceremony. If there's ever been a subtle goat, you're the one.

;-)

Now, here's a contest for y'all (and she's gonna kill me when she figures this one out)...

Who of the DTP Forum alumni has the authentic Indian name of "Irene Highbrow Cougar"?

Johnson Stately Beak

Franca
05-02-2005, 11:20 PM
If I use my full name I get:

Cassandra Turkish Cranberry

Franca
05-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Who of the DTP Forum alumni has the authentic Indian name of "Irene Highbrow Cougar"?I know who it is....

ktinkel
05-03-2005, 05:29 AM
Please don't tell any of my enemies what my authentic Indan name is:

Loretta Muted RatAw, they’d never believe that anyway. Muted? Hah! :-)

ElyseC
05-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, it's not Marlene, but I'm jealous -- I want hers!

ElyseC
05-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Sandee Cohen has a rather nifty one: Amy Snowy Paintbrush

Franca
05-03-2005, 09:59 AM
Well, it's not Marlene, but I'm jealous -- I want hers!Oh, me, too! That's a great one!

ElyseC
05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
OK, I just spun for my maiden name and got a much better one: Roxanne Velvety Hare.

Franca
05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
My friend Judith has the most 'Indian' sounding one so far, I think:

Daisy Meanering Antelope

Pretty cool, she'd like it.

Franca
05-03-2005, 10:12 AM
I like that one. Should have been mine! My mother had two nicknames for me when I was little: "Velvet" and "Miss Bunny".

Guess what I found out? George W. Bush and Martha Stewart are related. LOL!!!

(I entered George W. Bush because it was important to distinguish between him and his father....)

ElyseC
05-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Yes, should've been yours!

Michael Rowley
05-03-2005, 11:00 AM
DJB:

So that's what Indian corn is!

annc
05-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Aw, they’d never believe that anyway. Muted? Hah! :-)Yeah. They'd believe the Rat bit, but not the rest.

Jonathan
05-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah, and I'd like to be a stately something else...

;-)

Johnson Stately Beak
Something like my Edwin Lanky Lovebird?

This is very wierd, because my father's name was Edwin, and he was 6'6" (2 meters). I also suspect that he was quite the ladies' man in his early days...

djb
05-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Something like my Edwin Lanky Lovebird?

This is very wierd, because my father's name was Edwin, and he was 6'6" (2 meters). I also suspect that he was quite the ladies' man in his early days...
The wheels never lie...

Susie
05-03-2005, 06:18 PM
I like that name. Mine's not nearly as exotic.

Corinne Inimitable Chickadee

Franca
05-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Oh, but it's very cute! One of the better ones, really.

Susie
05-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, it's certainly different!

Susie

JVegVT
05-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Mine is Tatiana Glandular Hawk, which must qualify for some sort of prize.<g>
--Judy M.

ElyseC
05-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Mine is Tatiana Glandular Hawk, which must qualify for some sort of prize.<g>Hey, I'd give it one! The mental image it instantly conjured up here was of a brown hawk with a massive goiter, so it flew, with effort, and with a pronounced list to one side. <g>

I decided I'd try my maiden name and like the result much better, so if you have any other name options, maybe they'll fare better with the wheel. <g>

Jonathan
05-05-2005, 05:36 PM
One of my daughters cam up as Beatrice Freeform Pants, while the other one is Lucy Glum Bunny.

I'm not telling either of them <g>.

djb
05-05-2005, 05:46 PM
One of my daughters cam up as Beatrice Freeform Pants, while the other one is Lucy Glum Bunny.
I'm not telling either of them <g>.

In my family we have:
Daniellle Cheesecloth Pants aka SWMBO;
Coralee Chromatic Barnstormer aka DD;
and Edward Checkered Jigsaw aka Nick

The wheels are never wrong.

Johnson Stately Beak

ElyseC
05-05-2005, 06:46 PM

I'm not telling either of them <g>.<snort, guffaw, cough, cough>

Were that my family, we not only would've been told immediately by the relative who did the spinning, but the whole rest of the family would've also been notified - perhaps even before telling the name bearer. Said moniker would then on be used at every possible opportunity, instead of the given name -- no one would ever let it be forgotten. Ever. <weg>

djb
05-05-2005, 06:59 PM
There was an old Indian belief that by making love on the hide of
their favorite animal, one could guarantee the health and prosperity
of the offspring conceived thereupon. And so it goes that one Indian
couple made love on a buffalo hide. Nine months later, they were
blessed with a healthy baby son. Yet another couple huddled together
on the hide of a deer and they too were blessed with a very healthy
baby son. But a third couple, whose favorite animal was a hippopotamus,
were blessed with not one, but TWO very healthy baby sons at the conclusion
of the nine month interval. All of which proves the old theorem that:
The sons of the squaw of the hippopotamus are equal to the sons of
the squaws of the other two hides.

ElyseC
05-05-2005, 07:21 PM
<GROAN>

Franca
05-05-2005, 08:57 PM
My sister is Amy Singular Lips. <g>

annc
05-05-2005, 09:37 PM

I'm not telling either of them <g>.Were they appropriate?

ElyseC
05-06-2005, 01:49 PM
My sister is Amy Singular Lips. <g>Heh!

If I go with our maiden name, my three sisters come up as:

Lorraine Supine Orangutan
Katie Silent Jumper
Joan Pointless Head

If I go with their (current) married names:

Daisy Perfunctory Orangutan
Agnes Pineboard Ragweed
Glynis Bubbling Paintbrush

Let's see...Mother is:

Rosemary Regional Elderberry (maiden name)
or
Laura Telepathic Buffalo (married name)

She'd enjoy the second one much more. <gg>

Jonathan
05-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Were they appropriate?Yup.

Jonathan
05-07-2005, 09:03 PM
<snort, guffaw, cough, cough>

Were that my family, we not only would've been told immediately by the relative who did the spinning, but the whole rest of the family would've also been notified - perhaps even before telling the name bearer. Said moniker would then on be used at every possible opportunity, instead of the given name -- no one would ever let it be forgotten. Ever. <weg>One of them (the Glum one, I might add) is only just barely speaking to me at this point in her adolescence. I'm working hard at not adding any fuel to her fire, as we've all been burned a bit too often lately.

Hopefully, her sense of humor will return at some point before leaving home.

Or not...

annc
05-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Yup.<g>

I am very pleased not to have adolescent offspring.

djb
05-08-2005, 09:17 AM
<g>

I am very pleased not to have adolescent offspring.
I can state unequivocally that you would be very pleased with my Coralee Chromatic Barnstormer. She took a gold at the music festival yesterday in the Solo Snare Drum category. Scored an 87 and it would have been higher had she nailed the left-hand rim shots at the end of the piece.

As the judge said, though, with rim shots practice only improves the odds of not missing them.

annc
05-08-2005, 12:25 PM
I can state unequivocally that you would be very pleased with my Coralee Chromatic Barnstormer. She took a gold at the music festival yesterday in the Solo Snare Drum category. Scored an 87 and it would have been higher had she nailed the left-hand rim shots at the end of the piece.

As the judge said, though, with rim shots practice only improves the odds of not missing them.Congratulations to Coralee Chromatic Barnstormer. Did she ever take up Xylophone? I remember a thread a few years ago where you were looking for female role models for her, and a few of us mentioned Evelyn Glennie.

djb
05-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Congratulations to Coralee Chromatic Barnstormer. Did she ever take up Xylophone? I remember a thread a few years ago where you were looking for female role models for her, and a few of us mentioned Evelyn Glennie.

She hasn't taken up xylo or vibes as yet, but the fellow she's studying with (Roy Sidhya, principle percussionist with the Saskatoon Symphony) has the vibes in his studio, so it's a possibility. She's really blossomed in the last year since she started with Roy, it's amazing.

She still wears shoes, though. ;-)

She also plays flute in band, and is in the school handbell choir. I've definitely grown to love the sound of hand bells.

Jonathan
05-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I've definitely grown to love the sound of hand bells.Both Beatrice Freeform Pants and Lucy Glum Bunny play in a handbell choir too, and I also love hearing them perform.

The two of them played a bell duet (with piano accompaniment) last Christmas, playing 19 bells total between them, often four-in-hand, with some challenging mid-phrase handoffs.

It was almost as much fun to watch as to listen to.

djb
05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Both Beatrice Freeform Pants and Lucy Glum Bunny play in a handbell choir too, and I also love hearing them perform.

The two of them played a bell duet (with piano accompaniment) last Christmas, playing 19 bells total between them, often four-in-hand, with some challenging mid-phrase handoffs.

It was almost as much fun to watch as to listen to.

Oh, my goodness! I can imagine!

Molly/CA
05-20-2005, 05:27 PM
If you want to get serious about this, go to

http://homepage.mac.com/whump/ujname.html

but be sure to follow the link to Jon Carrol's column!

marlene
05-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Well, it's not Marlene, but I'm jealous -- I want hers!

Mine was Susan Dandy Jellyfish, which I didn't care for. Too ordinary. Not silly enough. But I just added my fake middle initial X and got Lucille Marching Ant, which I think is much better.

mxh

djb
05-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Adding a fake name may apppease you , but the wheels are never wrong, Susan Dandy Jellyfish.

Did you ever consider that perhaps you *ARE* ordinary?

I'm just saying...

Franca
05-20-2005, 11:43 PM
I don't think Dandy Jellyfish are ordinary. <g>

Jonathan
05-21-2005, 07:30 PM
If you want to get serious about thisHmmm. I seem to have the charming cognomen The Gatling Gun of Loving Kindness.