PDA

View Full Version : Dog days!

ktinkel
05-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Someone at another site posted this link, and I couldn’t resist.

What kind of dog are you (http://www.gone2thedogs.com/)? (Click that item over on the right.)

annc
05-01-2005, 07:01 PM

What kind of dog are you (http://www.gone2thedogs.com/)? (Click that item over on the right.)Hmmm, it seems I'm a French Bulldog.

What are you?

Franca
05-01-2005, 08:49 PM

What kind of dog are you (http://www.gone2thedogs.com/)? (Click that item over on the right.)Cool, I'm a Sheltie! (Shetland Sheepdog) Not what I expected I'd be at all.

annc
05-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Cool, I'm a Sheltie! (Shetland Sheepdog) Not what I expected I'd be at all.Ooh, I think that's quite good, actually. Sort of suits you. <g>

Franca
05-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Why, thank you! Since I like Shelties I'll be flattered. <g> Have never had one but have had three Collies. Still love Collies but my other half can't imagine having anything but a German Shepherd. I also adore German Shepherds - I think they're the smartest, most trainable, loyal dog that won't drive you nuts if they're not given huge amounts of exercise - but am already wondering who's going to be lifting our next dog when it gets too old to navigate around under its own power. I sort of think the next dog should weigh about half what our GSDs weigh, but I don't know if we'd be able to agree on what to get. Might have to build a hoist for our future GSD. ;-)

annc
05-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Why, thank you! Since I like Shelties I'll be flattered. <g> Have never had one but have had three Collies. Still love Collies but my other half can't imagine having anything but a German Shepherd. I also adore German Shepherds - I think they're the smartest, most trainable, loyal dog that won't drive you nuts if they're not given huge amounts of exercise - but am already wondering who's going to be lifting our next dog when it gets too old to navigate around under its own power. I sort of think the next dog should weigh about half what our GSDs weigh, but I don't know if we'd be able to agree on what to get. Might have to build a hoist for our future GSD. ;-)Yes, it is a bit of a worry, when you contemplate ageing at the same time as your dogs. <g>

My blue heeler/kelpie cross is happy to lie around at my feet all day, and has never been destructive, even when I was going out most days. But at 14 she still does several laps of the yard when she thinks I might be going to take her out in the car. I love the enthusiasm and trainability. And the shadow bit. Don't love the hair everywhere. <g>

ktinkel
05-02-2005, 05:40 AM
Hmmm, it seems I'm a French Bulldog.

What are you?A Welsh Corgi (like one of the Queen’s dogs!).

In a pig’s eye, that’s all I can say! I wanted to be a Malamute or Samoyed, or at least some sort of real dog.

Anne Wright
05-02-2005, 07:41 AM
What kind of dog are you (http://www.gone2thedogs.com/)? (Click that item over on the right.)

I'm a breed I never heard of - a Black Russian Terrier!
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/blackrussianterrier.htm

Sort of weird looking, too... One part they have wrong for me though it was not covered in the questionaire is that the Black Russian Terrier was selected to be adaptable to a wide range of climates - I would never be able to adapt to most of the climates in Russia or the old Soviet Union!

Anne

Anne Wright
05-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Kathleen, This seems to be the day for dog stuff. My cousin just sent me this video of the "Coolest Dog EVER (http://scottrope.typepad.com/scott_rope/files/coolestdogEVER.wmv)." (Windows Media Video format file, but small.)

Anne

ElyseC
05-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Hmmm, it seems I'm a French Bulldog.

What are you?Hey! Me, too! My owner has to get used to my snuffling, eh? ;-)

Mike
05-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Cool, I'm a Sheltie! (Shetland Sheepdog) Not what I expected I'd be at all.

Audrey turned out to be a Sheltie.

I was some sort of French pointer (can't remember the name of the breed).

annc
05-02-2005, 11:56 AM
A Welsh Corgi (like one of the Queen’s dogs!).

In a pig’s eye, that’s all I can say! I wanted to be a Malamute or Samoyed, or at least some sort of real dog.Maybe if you gave an appropriate height and build at the start you'd get one of those.

I did some playing with it and got all small dogs, no matter what I said in the personal characteristics.

annc
05-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Hey! Me, too! My owner has to get used to my snuffling, eh? ;-)Goodness! I thought your height would get you a greyhound or something.

ktinkel
05-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Kathleen, This seems to be the day for dog stuff. My cousin just sent me this video of the "Coolest Dog EVER (http://scottrope.typepad.com/scott_rope/files/coolestdogEVER.wmv)." (Windows Media Video format file, but small.)Hmmm. For some reason, the downloaded file goes poof on my system — just disappears. And when I downloaded the Windows Media doohickey, when it expands it too goes poof. (I of course do not know the file names of either thing, so searching comes up empty. I did try anything logical, but no go.)

So I think I will just take your word for it. :-)

annc
05-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Hmmm. For some reason, the downloaded file goes poof on my system — just disappears. And when I downloaded the Windows Media doohickey, when it expands it too goes poof. (I of course do not know the file names of either thing, so searching comes up empty. I did try anything logical, but no go.)

So I think I will just take your word for it. :-)It didn't work for me in Firefox, but I pasted the URL into Safari and it did work. Just took a long time for the window to appear.

Franca
05-02-2005, 02:01 PM
I wondered about that ... I suspect you're right. There probably was no way I'd have come out as a large dog, no matter what the personality and temperament.

Franca
05-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Ugh. Don't talk to me about hair everywhere. I swear there can't be a person alive with more dog hair around right now than we've got. I brushed them out in the yard last night for ten minutes and still there was a ton of it still on the dogs - just barely - ready to fall out the minute they set foot back in the house. And you should have seen me afterwards. That tee shirt went right into the laundry basket.

Your dog does sound like a wonderful companion. I've enjoyed hearing about her over the years. :-)

Now that we've had two dogs again I think we will always choose to have a pair, so perhaps my husband and I can compromise next time around - one German Shepherd and one smaller dog. I think I can choose a smaller dog that he will end up adoring once I've brought it home and there's nothing he can do about it. ;-) It will have to be a dog that can get along with cats, which is why I lean towards Collie/Sheltie in spite of the hair. There are some other smaller breeds that appeal to me but I'm afraid some of them would consider cats to be prey.

On the hair issue, now that we've had German Shepherds I realize that Collie hair wasn't so bad. There was a lot of it, but it only came out in quantity for relatively short periods twice a year.

ktinkel
05-02-2005, 04:13 PM
It didn't work for me in Firefox, but I pasted the URL into Safari and it did work. Just took a long time for the window to appear.In my case, Safari was quite willing to download it, but I cannot find the Windows software to present it.

Phooey. Let me know the best bits, okay? <g>

ElyseC
05-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Goodness! I thought your height would get you a greyhound or something.Pretty hilarious, no? <g>

ElyseC
05-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Ugh. Don't talk to me about hair everywhere. I swear there can't be a person alive with more dog hair around right now than we've got. I brushed them out in the yard last night for ten minutes and still there was a ton of it still on the dogs - just barely - ready to fall out the minute they set foot back in the house. And you should have seen me afterwards. That tee shirt went right into the laundry basket.Sounds like me after we "shedded" the cats when we lived out in CA summer heat. Now the cats (not to mention we) have proper air-conditioning to enjoy and the one long-hair (Persian/Balinese mix - her body looks Himalayan) stays groomed in the "lion cut" year round. No more serious issues with fur around our place, certainly not what we had in CA and not what you describe!

BTW, by "shedding" I mean we used a comb-thingie, really a leather-handled, u-shaped, metal blade with teeth that I believe is a miniature version of a horse curry comb (?) and it's made just for small animals like cats and little dogs. Works a treat, but we had a job holding the cats down for the process. <g>

Anne Wright
05-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Kathleen, It is a really neat video of a dog riding a skate board. Not only does he push himself off, you can see him lean to turn the board and he stops it before it hits the curb. Then he turns around and rides back the other direction - twice!
Anne

ktinkel
05-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Kathleen, It is a really neat video of a dog riding a skate board. Not only does he push himself off, you can see him lean to turn the board and he stops it before it hits the curb. Then he turns around and rides back the other direction - twice!
AnneThanks.

Does sound cute.

Anne Wright
05-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Kathleen, I converted the video into a Quicktime MOV and zipped it - here it is. Small but still viewable.
Anne

annc
05-02-2005, 07:12 PM
On the hair issue, now that we've had German Shepherds I realize that Collie hair wasn't so bad. There was a lot of it, but it only came out in quantity for relatively short periods twice a year.

Yes, I imagine you could live with that. <g>

Before Caddie, I had miniature poodles. Don't laugh. They were terrific dogs. While I had them, every photo I took of the horses had a bit of poodle in it, usually the tail. I used to clip them short all over with the horse clippers because of ticks, and they were great country dogs. I'd love to have a standard poodle one day.

ElyseC
05-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Kathleen, I converted the video into a Quicktime MOV and zipped it - here it is. Small but still viewable.
AnneGeez! He is one cool -- and talented -- dog!

Thanks very much for converting it to Quicktime!

ElyseC
05-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Yes, I imagine you could live with that. <g>

Before Caddie, I had miniature poodles. Don't laugh. They were terrific dogs. While I had them, every photo I took of the horses had a bit of poodle in it, usually the tail. I used to clip them short all over with the horse clippers because of ticks, and they were great country dogs. I'd love to have a standard poodle one day.They are great dogs. We had them when I was growing up and ours weren't nervous, yappy or any other thing people think they'll be.

JVegVT
05-04-2005, 06:55 PM
I was a flat-coated Retriever.
--Judy M.

Franca
05-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Very nice. <g>