PDA

View Full Version : How Does one go about learning DTP?

TooLoose_LeTrek
06-22-2009, 06:32 AM
I know the obvious answer here is school. That's not an option, and I went to college decades ago! I'd like to learn about DTP and design graphics in my spare time. As an independent business person, I have need of such knowledge in making flyers, business cards, and whatever else I might need.

I thought design graphics might be a good start, getting me thinking on this topic as it relates to layout, paste-up, or whatever you call it. I picked up a nice looking book over the weekend called Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual by Timothy Samara. I'll go through that in my spare time. And I have some other recommendations from forum members on another thread I had going about software I needed. I thought if I broke out this topic on its own, I might attract some comments from people who would not have noticed my software thread.

Thanks.

Benwiggy
06-22-2009, 06:44 AM
"DTP" is using computers to produce printed work. It combines several disciplines including, but not limited to:
graphic design and typography: "The science and art of the printed page"
Print Production: the technical methods by which print is produced, and how computers control them
Software: what the software you use can do, and how to get the most out of it.

Yes, read books on all these subjects; but also carefully study the works themselves: e.g. books and other printed matter that you admire.

Andrew B.
07-15-2009, 11:00 AM
My background is a non-designer who ended up doing DTP in a business setting. The books I found most helpful were Looking Good in Print, Non-Designer's Design Book, and The Elements of Typographic Style. That was quite a few years ago, and it is possible the design examples in the first two books are dated, even with revised editions. But maybe you can check them out from a library and see if they are helpful. As for the typography book, I would guess that it is still worthwhile.