PDA

View Full Version : New Saddle!

Franca
04-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Some of you may know that I ordered a saddle last Fall and have been waiting and waiting ... and waiting for it to arrive. Well, it's finally here and I'm happy to say that it was worth the wait! The longer it took the more nervous I got about whether or not it would fit me and my horse, but it's wonderful! Shouldn't have worried at all.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAAeAzUW6lQ%21%21LNuNTK4raCURHwKhvXgUWLd75hiNikD3 JdUv4ZmOBU9WzmoEQsWdc3o10QTnRGHCBXKBzbL9Rwlc45XUfb *%21hRadeuHtxdoE2IZiyde%21w/NewSaddle-02.jpg

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADvAjQWq1Q%21%21LNuNTK4rVpaoEaJwjStxR0xXjutBHEJv vDfXfFYXTJr0hkO3KGVo24vX6IIYZM3ko5%21Sxm2Ilg1HTn2f E6ZQA%21vu9qpQsujAfu%21mwWOKQ/NewSaddle-01.jpg

Richard Hunt
04-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Franca

I've no ide at all, what does something like that cost?

Richard

Franca
04-29-2005, 02:00 PM
I've no idea at all, what does something like that cost?As with most equine items that aren't mass-produced ... $$$! This one actually wasn't too bad at $2295. You can easily pay twice as much for a custom western saddle, depending on who makes it and how much tooling you get on it. The saddle maker actually put more carving on it than I ordered and didn't charge me any extra, so in a way it's already worth a couple of hundred dollars more than I paid for it. ;-) Good western saddles don't depreciate much, if at all, and if you take care of them they last practically forever. I shouldn't have to buy another one; I'm planning on using this one for as long as I can still ride. Or for as long as I can lift it ... I may need to have my husband build me a hoist some day, LOL!

ElyseC
04-29-2005, 04:21 PM
As with most equine items that aren't mass-produced ... $$$! This one actually wasn't too bad at $2295.I was going to guess $2000-3000, so I came pretty close!

It's a beaut!

Anne Wright
04-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Franca, What a beautiful saddle! Who made it? Doe sit fit your horse, too?

My favorite saddle has been retired for twenty years since it is too narrow in the forks to fit my wide whithered QHs. I've only found one Western type saddle since that is even close to that comfortable to ride and I hate the way it looks....
Anne

Franca
04-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Thanks, Anne! It fits Seven really nicely - I was a little afraid I might have to pad it or shim it , but it seems perfect for her and has plenty of clearance for those TB withers. It was made by Dave Genadek, "Black Rhino" saddles, at AbouttheHorse.com.

I've been to one of his saddle fitting clinics - didn't take a horse because Seven wasn't ready for a saddle yet - but his talk was excellent, and after the talk I liked how he worked to fit everybody's own saddle to their horse as best he could without trying to sell his own saddles. Even when he had to tell folks that their saddles really, truly didn't fit their horses at all well, he didn't push his own saddles - just showed them where their own didn't fit and told them what to look for when trying other saddles on their horses. I also have his saddle fit video which is similar to the talks he gives at his clinics, full of good information.

He's very meticulous about materials with his own saddles and I think he takes a lot of pride in his work. You can't be in a hurry to get a saddle from him; he's terminally behind! But the saddles are worth the wait, IMO. I know a few people who thought about ordering from him and decided against it on account of the long wait, but I borrowed a western saddle from a friend till it finally arrived.

It's really nice to have a saddle that is comfortable, fits your horse, and is good looking to boot - not so easy to get all three attributes together in one saddle. In fact, somebody on another board posted a link to a Web site proudly displaying photos of about 35 "high-quality" western saddles someone had owned. I'm sure some of them were very valuable saddles. There was a lot of fancy tooling and other nice workmanship, but I could not imagine actually riding in a single one of them for more than about five minutes - ouch! If the saddle doesn't fit the rider or the horse, all that beauty is going to be languishing in the living room or gathering dust in the tack room. I'll trade "pretty" for "comfy" any day and feel very fortunate that my saddle turned out so well. But take heart - it is possible to have both!

Franca
04-29-2005, 10:03 PM
I was going to guess $2000-3000, so I came pretty close!Yes, you were right in the ballpark. I'm happy it was at the lower end of that particular ballpark. <g>

It's a beaut!Thanks! It's not so often these days that something you order turns out to be even better than you expected, but that was certainly the case with my saddle.

Richard Hunt
04-30-2005, 12:53 AM
.. if you take care of them they last practically forever.

That's the main thing In fact, they probably get better with regular use.

Richard

Cristen Gillespie
04-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Egads, shows my ignorance, but outside of the Rose Parade, I thought beauties like this were kept behind glass, under lock and key. It's hard to imagine being willing to hang it in a tack room, let alone risk having a rivet on your riding jeans scrape against it. What a lovely thing!

Franca
04-30-2005, 10:28 AM
The first scratch may cause a bit of a pang, it's true. But, as with a new car, the pleasure is in using it for what it was meant to do! And good leather cleans up nicely - just gets more "character" as you use it. In between cleanings when it's all dusty I can look at these pictures to remind myself what it's like underneath. <bg>

Franca
04-30-2005, 10:30 AM
That's the main thing. In fact, they probably get better with regular use.It's true! I'm having a bit of a problem with "regular use" at the moment. My mare is a wee bit lame but I expect her to be back to normal within the week.