PDA

View Full Version : TYPO No. 14, Czech type mag, just out

ktinkel
04-25-2005, 06:28 PM
If you haven’t looked into the Czech type magazine TYPO, you have another chance. The 14th issue has just been released. If you were a subscriber, you would shortly receive a print copy. But the rest of us can download a non-printable, non-copyable PDF (http://www.magtypo.cz/english.html) for free (root around on the site for the download).

The Czechs have a stunningly original take on type and typography. Their isolation during the Cold War era may actually have helped them retain their identity; it also kept their fonts out of the main stream in the West (although most of them seem to have been designed for the kern-less Linotype equipment). For whatever reason, the rest of us have long been deprived of the Czech sensibility in type.

If you are a P22 fan, several of its fonts have Czech roots.

My very favorite book on type, A Book of Type and Design, by Oldrich Hlavsa, is from Czechoslovakia. And some of my other favorites, Typographica 2 and Typographica 3 are also Czech.

As it happens, this new issue of TYPO includes an article on Czech type designer Vojtěch Preissig. Take a look.

Franca
04-25-2005, 11:26 PM
What a great magazine! Thanks for the link, Kathleen!

Mike
04-26-2005, 01:17 AM
But the rest of us can download a non-printable, non-copyable PDF (http://www.magtypo.cz/english.html) for free (root around on the site for the download).

Looks interesting. The pdf seems to print OK.

ktinkel
04-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Looks interesting. The pdf seems to print OK.Really? I haven’t picked up this issue yet, but Acrobat wouldn’t print the last two. Maybe I should try opening the PDFs with Preview.

Michael Rowley
04-26-2005, 08:45 AM
KT:

Acrobat wouldn’t print the last two

According to the 'Properties' in Acrobat, printing is allowed, although copying is not.

ktinkel
04-26-2005, 12:55 PM
According to the 'Properties' in Acrobat, printing is allowed, although copying is not.I think this is a change from the past. I was able to print this issue from Preview (haven’t tried Acrobat yet), but got an alert that said I could print only a low-res version unless I had a password (presumably obtained by subscribing. So I printed out a low-res version.

My problem with not being able to print in the past was that I simply cannot read those pages on-screen, except by zooming in and out repeatedly, and that definitely diminishes the pleasure!

Michael Rowley
04-26-2005, 01:33 PM
KT:

zooming in and out repeatedly, and that definitely diminishes the pleasure

There's no doubt about that! Unfortunately, I haven't got a colour printer, so I have to view on-screen, for the design certainly calls for colour. I don't like layouts in two languages though: the magazine needs to be in Czech or English, but not both.

The magazine has a number of faults, but they seem to be common to all design magazines.

annc
04-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I was able to print this issue from Preview (haven’t tried Acrobat yet), but got an alert that said I could print only a low-res version unless I had a password (presumably obtained by subscribing. So I printed out a low-res version.That's the standard first level of security for PDFs. It stops you changing anything in the file.

Michael Rowley
04-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Anne:

That's the standard first level of security for PDFs

How does that work? I've never noticed anything in the security settings about printing only at low resolution: I've just seen 'Printing allowed' and 'Printing not allowed'.

fhaber
04-26-2005, 07:47 PM
For the very first time, I *needed* to spin my flat panel to vertical, then hit the hotkey to spin the image clockwise. Then I could read it fine -- except for the Czech and the Fraktur (g).

Don't I remember a Mac with a mercury switch that did this in one swell foop, once upon a time (Apple Portrait, perhaps?)?

Good-looking rag, that.

annc
04-26-2005, 10:50 PM
For the very first time, I *needed* to spin my flat panel to vertical, then hit the hotkey to spin the image clockwise. Then I could read it fine -- except for the Czech and the Fraktur (g).

Don't I remember a Mac with a mercury switch that did this in one swell foop, once upon a time (Apple Portrait, perhaps?)?

Good-looking rag, that.No, the Apple Portrait, while a superb monitor, was fixed solidly in portrait mode. I had two of them, and took both to the dump only twelve months ago, when the second finally stopped working.

I think you're remembering the Radius Pivot, which was brilliant, but black and white, whereas the portrait monitor was greyscale.