PDA

View Full Version : Membership database software?

Steve Rindsberg
04-20-2005, 12:37 PM
I'm working with a volunteer group that puts on an annual bicycle ride to raise money for the local branch of the Sierra Club.

www.morninggloryride.org in case you're curious

I've ended up working with the group's lists of volunteers, registrants and so on, mostly cleaning them up so we can do snail and emailings, phone trees and so on.

All told, we're not talking about more than 2000 records and that's allowing room for a bit of expansion.

I'm vaguely looking for some (cheap! must be cheap!) software I can buy the group to maintain this stuff. Easy to use so I can hand it off to a volunteer for data entry; able to do at least minimal validation ("No, please put the State abbreviation in the State field, not with the city, thank you"), and allow me to categorize the records (and enter sub-sets of data ideally, depending on the category chosen ...ie, enter a new volunteer, get a form that asks for t-shirt size).

And cheap.

As long as it can import/export TAB or CSV data, I don't care if it does the mailings or not. I can do that w/ other software. Extra points if it can remove dupes.

Did I mention "cheap"?

annc
04-20-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm working with a volunteer group that puts on an annual bicycle ride to raise money for the local branch of the Sierra Club.

www.morninggloryride.org (http://www.morninggloryride.org) in case you're curious

I've ended up working with the group's lists of volunteers, registrants and so on, mostly cleaning them up so we can do snail and emailings, phone trees and so on.

All told, we're not talking about more than 2000 records and that's allowing room for a bit of expansion.

I'm vaguely looking for some (cheap! must be cheap!) software I can buy the group to maintain this stuff. Easy to use so I can hand it off to a volunteer for data entry; able to do at least minimal validation ("No, please put the State abbreviation in the State field, not with the city, thank you"), and allow me to categorize the records (and enter sub-sets of data ideally, depending on the category chosen ...ie, enter a new volunteer, get a form that asks for t-shirt size).

And cheap.

As long as it can import/export TAB or CSV data, I don't care if it does the mailings or not. I can do that w/ other software. Extra points if it can remove dupes.

Did I mention "cheap"?I've got a membership database that could be modified to do the specific things you want, but it's got our date formats, and they drive Americans crazy.

However, I could write you one from scratch, by setting the date format on my PC to match yours before I create the files.What you would get would be a FileMaker Pro runtime. The date format problem is a little quirk FileMaker has. I do these for lots of people, and they're very stable. It will even do the e-mails from within the database. I can set it up for mailing labels if you tell me the Avery number. And I'm cheap, and I accept PayPal. <g>

If nobody here can offer anything local and already able to do everything you want, let's take it to e-mail.

Steve Rindsberg
04-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Ann, I somehow thought that might get your attention. <g>

Hmmm. Filemaker Pro does a runtime, eh? Interesting. Out of curiosity, how large are these? I ask because I've toyed with doing something in Access ... because it's there, is why. <g> And because I'm working on a project with an Access developer and figure I ought to learn more about it. And would if I had the time. But the runtime's a huge thing, as I understand it. And now you know why I ask.

Hey, why not start here: how much trouble would it be to shoot me one that you've got done already? I'd like to see one of these little fellas in action anyhow.

annc
04-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Ann, I somehow thought that might get your attention. <g>

Hmmm. Filemaker Pro does a runtime, eh? Interesting. Out of curiosity, how large are these? I ask because I've toyed with doing something in Access ... because it's there, is why. <g> And because I'm working on a project with an Access developer and figure I ought to learn more about it. And would if I had the time. But the runtime's a huge thing, as I understand it. And now you know why I ask.

Hey, why not start here: how much trouble would it be to shoot me one that you've got done already? I'd like to see one of these little fellas in action anyhow.FileMaker files generally come down to something fairly small when zipped. They also don't go within a country mile of the Registry, storing all the .dll files in the parent directory. This makes them really easy to uninstall or delete - you just drag the parent folder to the trash (oops, recycle bin!)

I can send you the current version of my membership database, which has never been tidied up for general distribution, so is presented warts and all. I've got a copy of the Windows runtime here on the Mac, but have been opening it in FileMaker itself (a general indication of its good neighbourliness) so will need to do a new runtime for you on my PC. I can send it to you as a createinstall file, or just as a zip file that will work anywhere when unzipped into its folder. FileMaker won't care either way, but of course if I send you the zip file, you will need to remove it by trashing the folder, cos Window won't know about it unless you unzip it into the Program Files folder, which is easy enough to do. Whatever, I can get FileMaker to do what you want to do. I'm not using the current version because it requires later versions of Windows than some of my clients use. The current version is table-based, unlike the version I'm using. But my version will do just what you need.

Steve Rindsberg
04-21-2005, 07:21 PM
FileMaker files generally come down to something fairly small when zipped. They also don't go within a country mile of the Registry, storing all the .dll files in the parent directory. This makes them really easy to uninstall or delete - you just drag the parent folder to the trash (oops, recycle bin!)

I can send you the current version of my membership database, which has never been tidied up for general distribution, so is presented warts and all. I've got a copy of the Windows runtime here on the Mac, but have been opening it in FileMaker itself (a general indication of its good neighbourliness) so will need to do a new runtime for you on my PC. I can send it to you as a createinstall file, or just as a zip file that will work anywhere when unzipped into its folder. FileMaker won't care either way, but of course if I send you the zip file, you will need to remove it by trashing the folder, cos Window won't know about it unless you unzip it into the Program Files folder, which is easy enough to do. Whatever, I can get FileMaker to do what you want to do. I'm not using the current version because it requires later versions of Windows than some of my clients use. The current version is table-based, unlike the version I'm using. But my version will do just what you need.
Ann,

A zip would be just fine, and I won't let the warts upset me <g>. Heck, I picked up something called My MailingList Deluxe today to try out. It's cheap and while it's not really a serious database, it promised to do most of what I want WITH the data once it's whipped into shape. Found one killer bug almost immediately and another stupid, annoying but bearable one w/in ten minutes. I really do have a black thumb where software's concerned. <g>

IAC, if it's not much trouble, I'd like to see what you've done. Email to steve at-sign steverindsberg dot com would be fine, or if you want to post it someplace, I'll go grab it. Whichever's simplest. Thanks!