PDA

View Full Version : Macros in InDesign CS3?

Eric Ladner
12-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Does InDesign CS3 have a facility for recording frequently-used key combinations? Say, for example, you always need em dashes to be surrounded by thin spaces; assigning the sequence to an F key or a keypad number would be a real stroke saver.

I don't have an actual InDesign manual, but I haven't found anything so far either in Adobe Help or in my One-on-One book.

Many thanks!
--Eric

Michael Beloved
12-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't know if this will be of any help but you may try using the autocorrect feature.
Click Edit, then Preferences, then autocorrect . Then click add on the bottom of the box which opens.
The Add to Autocorrect list box will come up. In that list you can type some thing which you want to use, say for example XX in the misspelled Word area. Then put in your em dashes and spaces as the correction area.
In that way anytime you type XX, the system will substitute your em dashes etc.

You have to try it out. Let me know if it works.

Howard Allen
12-03-2008, 09:30 PM
If you demand instant gratification, Michael's suggestion would probably work for you. Of course, you could always just type em-dashes normally, then use the Find/Replace dialog, and get them all in one fell swoop, which is what I'd do.

annc
12-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Say, for example, you always need em dashes to be surrounded by thin spaces; assigning the sequence to an F key or a keypad number would be a real stroke saver.That particular combination is easy to type:

Shift-Option-Command-m
Shift-Option-underline
Shift-Option-Command-m

But if, like me, most of your InDesign input is from Word users, some of whom use hyphens that need to be replaced by this combination, some of whom use en-dashes, and some who use either hyphens or en-dashes surrounded by ordinary spaces, multiple S&R in the Find dialogue box is required. I never do a Replace All, because most people who supply these files don't know the rules for the use of hyphens and em- and en-dashes, or when to use additional space and when not to.

Mike
12-04-2008, 01:40 AM
If you're importing stuff from Word then you can use InDesign's FindChangeByList script to automatically change a whole set of things. It comes with a standard list (substituting double hyphens for m-dashes, getting rid of multiple spaces and tabs, etc) but it's easy to add to the list using any text processor. Gets all your tidying-up edit done in one go.

annc
12-04-2008, 11:32 AM
If you're importing stuff from Word then you can use InDesign's FindChangeByList script to automatically change a whole set of things. It comes with a standard list (substituting double hyphens for m-dashes, getting rid of multiple spaces and tabs, etc) but it's easy to add to the list using any text processor. Gets all your tidying-up edit done in one go.Thanks - I didn't know that one existed.

Howard Allen
12-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Way cool! Thanks for that, Mike! You don't know how long I've wished such a thing existed, and there it was all the time, right under my nose! Who knew?

I always keep a big "search-and-destroy" list as a text file, then go through it manually, one item at a time, at the end of a project--a tedious exercise. This is just the ticket!

Cheers,

Michael Rowley
12-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Mike:

If you're importing stuff from Word then you can use InDesign's FindChangeByList scriptHow does that compare with doing the same thing on the Word file with VBA?

Mike
12-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Mike:

How does that compare with doing the same thing on the Word file with VBA?

No idea. All I know is that the InDesign script allows all the find-and-change options available in InDesign - character search, grep search, formatting searches, and that sort of thing.

Mike
12-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Thanks - I didn't know that one existed.

There's an article in a recent InDesign Magazine - which is how I discovered it. It comes with a ready set up list file which also contains useful instructions.

In fact there's a whole wodge of scripts available and a pdf document describing them. It's called 'InDesign CS3 Sample Scripts Read Me.pdf'. I must get around to reading it.

annc
12-05-2008, 02:17 AM
There's an article in a recent InDesign Magazine - which is how I discovered it. Well there you go. I've never subscribed to the full version...

Serves me right, I suppose.

Mike
12-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I've subscribed to it for a year but never got around to reading it till last week.

Your method is cheaper.