PDA

View Full Version : Color Management Question

In conthext
11-21-2008, 12:19 AM
I am laying out a magazine that will have a 'four color' front and back page while the inside pages will be of 'one color'. The 'four color/one color' description I have given here is a translation from Thai to English.

With one color for the inside, does it necessarily follow that the pages must be black and white?

I have been trying to get a handle on all of the aspects associated with DTP (esp. InDesign), learning by doing and tutorial, but have yet to solve the colour issue above.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

don Arnoldy
11-21-2008, 01:14 AM
With one color for the inside, does it necessarily follow that the pages must be black and white?No, but it is customary that they are.

4-color &1-color are the proper terminology in English also, but you must remember that when printers say "color," they mean "ink." A 1-color page, printed in black ink can have a whole range of shades of grey. A 4-color page, printed in process colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black) can produce the full-color pages that you see in most printed material.

The printer could clean out the press and put any color of ink in it, then all of your inside pages would be printed in that color. It just not often done. You would be charged extra for such a request—it takes some time to clean a press for an ink change.

annc
11-21-2008, 01:51 AM
No, but it is customary that they are.

4-color &1-color are the proper terminology in English also, but you must remember that when printers say "color," they mean "ink." A 1-color page, printed in black ink can have a whole range of shades of grey. A 4-color page, printed in process colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black) can produce the full-color pages that you see in most printed material.

The printer could clean out the press and put any color of ink in it, then all of your inside pages would be printed in that color. It just not often done. You would be charged extra for such a request—it takes some time to clean a press for an ink change.Nicely explained, Don!

However, it does depend on the press, which is why it's so important to select the printer early in the design process and confer often.

The printer I'm currently sending all my work to is a largeish plant with two large presses, I think 6 and 8 colour. They run all colours all the time, 24 hours a day, and still quote competitively. So a one colour job specified with black as the only colour goes on the same press, with all the inks activated, as a four colour job, with the paper the only difference. My clients love it because for magazine work, they can incorporate colour photographs anywhere on the inside pages with no difference in cost.

And the prepress software the printer uses performs close to miracles on the poor quality photos I often have to include...

OTOH, one of the smaller printers I used to use would run black/white work Monday to Thursday and any colour work on Friday. It worked well for me for 10 years or so.

Howard Allen
11-22-2008, 09:24 AM
So a one colour job specified with black as the only colour goes on the same press, with all the inks activated, as a four colour job, with the paper the only difference.

Huh? Could you clarify that a bit? I don't understand how "the paper" can dictate which colour gets printed on it. Do you mean the paper only gets run through the black rollers, and bypasses the other colours?

annc
11-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Huh? Could you clarify that a bit? I don't understand how "the paper" can dictate which colour gets printed on it. Do you mean the paper only gets run through the black rollers, and bypasses the other colours?Sorry. What I meant was that for a magazine, for example, with one colour for inside and four for outside, the six or eight inks are all on the press for the whole job, but the paper is different for the inside pages, which are one colour (usually black) only.

PeterArnel
11-22-2008, 02:12 PM
The simple answer to your question is yes - when printers quote one colour inside it will always mean black as that is one of the process colours - a special colour can be printed but it will usually cost extra
Peter
Anne - I am sure you know - but for others - when you wrote about 8 colour presses using different inks - these presses will be 4 colour perfectors and print CMYK on the front of the sheet - turning the sheet over and printing CMYK on the reverse

ktinkel
11-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Anne - I am sure you know - but for others - when you wrote about 8 colour presses using different inks - these presses will be 4 colour perfectors and print CMYK on the front of the sheet - turning the sheet over and printing CMYK on the reverseAre there no 8-color presses? I thought there were.

I have had jobs printed on 6-color presses, anyway. The extra fountains had Pantone colors, metallics, or varnishes. Or was that also most likely a turning process?

PeterArnel
12-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Oh I am a bit late sorry.
You are right in what you say and I have a six colour press which prints six colours in straight mode CMYK and 2 specials - and you can put 8 colour 10 colour or 12 colour presses in straight mode as well - but these presses are really designed as perfectors to print 16 page sections in either 4 col or 5 col + seal - they compete against short run web presses - a lot now feed reels of paper (saving 20% on paper cost) and sheet it as it goes into the press

Have a good Christmas

Peter

Benwiggy
01-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Perhaps it is less confusing to talk about a 6 "unit" press, rather than a 6 "colour" press. You can have a 4-unit press printing Black, followed by a perfecter, which turns the paper, followed by another Black unit that prints the other side, followed by a varnish or set-off spray.

PeterArnel
01-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Perhaps it is less confusing to talk about a 6 "unit" press, rather than a 6 "colour" press. You can have a 4-unit press printing Black, followed by a perfecter, which turns the paper, followed by another Black unit that prints the other side, followed by a varnish or set-off spray.
Now that has really confused everyone and I have never seen a press in that configuration.
A six colour press will usualy print KMCY and either two specials - or one special and a varnish. Only in very special markets - one being greetings cards will you print the inside in one colour and then turn the sheet over and put CMYK on the front

Peter