PDA

View Full Version : Printing black

bigbluebox
11-05-2008, 02:00 AM
Hi,

I am having difficulties with Indesign and printing black! I have a company logo in the shape of a triangle as a eps file, and when placed on a black background it looks great both in Indesign and pdf format. However, when printed, the logo is surrounded by a sort of transparent box.

Does anyone know of this, and if so a solution? Just so you know, the preferences are currently set as in the attached file. I am using CS3 on Windows.

Thanks in advance! :)

Robin Springall
11-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Better start by changing those prefs to display and output as accurate black instead of rich black. If you send me the PDF that's causing the problem, I'll see if I can spot anything else: pcgraphics@rpmuk.com

bigbluebox
11-06-2008, 02:27 AM
Better start by changing those prefs to display and output as accurate black instead of rich black. If you send me the PDF that's causing the problem, I'll see if I can spot anything else: pcgraphics@rpmuk.com
I've done that, but the same thing happened is. Since I posted yesterday I've realised it's got something to do with the drop shadow; the image is overlapping another object therefore looks good with drop shadow, but where it's not overlapping the box appears!

Bo Aakerstrom
11-06-2008, 04:12 AM
I've done that, but the same thing happened is. Since I posted yesterday I've realised it's got something to do with the drop shadow; the image is overlapping another object therefore looks good with drop shadow, but where it's not overlapping the box appears!

Which application was used to create the logo?
How was the drop shadow applied?

bigbluebox
11-06-2008, 04:16 AM
The logo is an eps file created in Illustrator, and the drop shadow was applied using Effects in Indesign...

Robin Springall
11-06-2008, 07:27 AM
I've realised it's got something to do with the drop shadow; the image is overlapping another object therefore looks good with drop shadow, but where it's not overlapping the box appears!Perhaps check the separations of the drop shadow and the black background in Acrobat Pro: they might be the cause of the prob.