PDA

View Full Version : Logo placement

pubber
10-18-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm just about ready to publish my first publication, a nostalgia type publication. The facing page has the title of the publication and a photograph that is relevant to the publication.
I plan to publish other, fairly similar publications in future, so this publication will be part of a series. The series will be called `Skegness Revisited.'
I would like to include something like: `Part of the Skegness Revisited series of publications' somewhere on the facing page.
Obviously it isn't actually part of the Skegness Revisited series of publications at all, there are no other publications so far, but this `logo' might create a good impression. On the other hand it might be rather deceptive.
Does anyone have any views about this?
Also, I wondered where anyone else would place this `logo', if they were in the same situation. Would they place it prominently, over the title of the publication, or at the bottom, below the photograph? Would they have the title in colour and the logo in mono or vice-versa, etc. (it will be a two colour publication)
I'd post a pic of the facing page or a link to the site but it might seem spammy.

ktinkel
10-18-2008, 09:00 AM
It is common to have flags for columns or other regular items in a magazine, so your logo sounds appropriate to me. Then you do have to keep it up, of course — sometimes readers become fond of particular pieces like that and like to turn to them first thing.

It should be small, probably fitting within a single column (even though it might sometimes belong to more than one column. You could use color, but I usually use a tint of black (i.e., grey) to make it recede somewhat. It is a guide to the reader, not really content.

Feel free to provide a link to your page; or just attach a screen shot, which keeps the image available. Seeing something does help us understand what you are talking about.

Michael Beloved
10-18-2008, 01:17 PM
It is hard to advise if one does not see the page where the logos will appear. Placement has to be in harmony with the rest of the page, and the logos should be color adaptable unless you are going to always create the rest of the page to match the logos.
To be fair, I think you would have to provide a link or file with logos and page and then you can get advice.
I did a logo and a sticker for some books of mine, with an artist. We put the logo on the right bottom of the cover and the left bottom of the back cover, but it was colored in such a way to be color neutral and we also have the option of adjusting the colors of the logo itself.
Michael B.

annc
10-18-2008, 01:39 PM
<librarianmode>Do you plan to get ISBNs for this series and thus deposit copies in the British Library and wherever else you are required to do so in the UK?

If so, it is a good idea to have the series statement, however you produce it, either on the title page or opposite it, so that the cataloguers include it in the catalogue entry.</librarianmode>

pubber
10-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for responding everyone, hope you're having a good weekend.
I've published the proposed facing page of the publication as a pic on the home page of my Skegness Revisited (http://www.skegnessrevisited.com)website. It's (pretty obviously) the pic with the title `Skegness in the 1880's' and a photo of a girl in a Victorian outfit with a Victorian steam thresher (at least I think that's what it is) behind her.
The publication will be A5, by the way.
I tried to post the pic here in my reply but it didn't work, when I previewed it I just got an icon. I'll take another shot at it in a minute.
I took the photo for a local newspaper so it's a modern photograph rather than an authentic pic from the 1880's. I have some pics from this period but they are pretty terrible, photography in its infancy etc. I can't remember what the typeface for the title is, I just looked for an old-fashioned typeface in Photoshop.
Ann, yes I will be applying for an ISBN number, I plan to put it on the back outer cover, as other similar publications have placed their ISBN numbers there.
I'll also deposit a copy of the publication with the British Library, apparently this is a legal requirement.
Regards to all, Paul
Here's my attempt at posting the screenshot in my post: http://www.skegnessrevisited.com/images/Skegness-nostalgia-publication-screenshot.jpeg

Michael Beloved
10-18-2008, 02:52 PM
To me Skegness website looks good. Regarding the photos since this is depicting the 1880's and onwards, it would actually enhance the site if some of the old photos were presented without alternations or with very little of it. One other method would be to present the old photos and then present the digitally enhanced ones side by side. Some persons would appreciate the old prints as is, perhaps for nostalgia sake.
As soon as you mention 1880, there is the curiosity to see what the photos from that period captured and one does not get that by viewing the enhanced prints.
I am waiting to see the pic.
Looks great and has an authentic feel to it.
Michael B.

annc
10-18-2008, 02:58 PM
yes I will be applying for an ISBN number, I plan to put it on the back outer cover, as other similar publications have placed their ISBN numbers there.
I'll also deposit a copy of the publication with the British Library, apparently this is a legal requirement.http://www.skegnessrevisited.com/images/Skegness-nostalgia-publication-screenshot.jpegThe ISBN barcode goes on the back cover. It was the information about the series that I suggested you put either on the title page or on the page facing the title page, so that the cataloguers would note in the MARC record that it is part of a series. :)

terrie
10-19-2008, 02:15 PM
pubber: I tried to post the pic here in my reply but it didn't workWhat was the file type? How big was it--file size?

Terrie

pubber
10-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks Micheal. I've published some original Victorian photos in the pages of the publication and have tried to enhance them but the results aren't great.
There's an argument for publishing the pictures as they are, that it might be preferable to publish them complete with their technical limitations, because this is more authentic, it enhances the Victorian atmosphere.
It's an interesting argument - whether its `right', whether its ethical, desirable, to impose our modern view of photography, our view of how photographs should look, on a historical period which didn't share this view of photography.
Terrie, I uploaded the pic of the facing page at size 313px x 457px.

ktinkel
10-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Is this a book? Or a periodical?

If the latter, I think you want an ISSN (http://www.issn.org/2-22635-What-is-an-ISSN.php) rather than ISBN; it would the case in the U.S., but you should be able to find out what England wants.

The question of whether to enhance antique photos: it depends. An old sepia print is interesting because it is brownish and old, but only if it is viewable. Cracked or faded photos, in which the subject is hard (or painful) to see, but with a useful or interesting subject, is likely to benefit from tonal (or other) adjustments. You could show the fixed version at good size but include the old one in miniature beside it.

Michael Rowley
10-20-2008, 09:06 AM
KT:

If the latter, I think you want an ISSN (http://www.issn.org/2-22635-What-is-an-ISSN.php) rather than ISBN; it would the case in the U.S., but you should be able to find out what England wants. ISSN for periodicals in the UK too.

Bo Aakerstrom
10-20-2008, 10:13 AM
And do not over do any corrections, keep them to a minimum. Part of what makes an old photo intresting is that it is and looks old.

annc
10-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Is this a book? Or a periodical?

If the latter, I think you want an ISSN (http://www.issn.org/2-22635-What-is-an-ISSN.php) rather than ISBN; it would the case in the U.S., but you should be able to find out what England wants.It sounds to me like a monographic series, which would require an ISBN, rather than an ISSN.

ktinkel
10-20-2008, 12:55 PM
It sounds to me like a monographic series, which would require an ISBN, rather than an ISSN.Ah, okay. I was lazy and didn’t look at the start of the thread. That’s why I asked the question. :)