PDA

View Full Version : Logo upgrade?

ktinkel
09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Our big supermarket, Stop&Shop, is redoing its brand: new logo, colors, typefaces, the whole look.

The attachments show three generations of their logos:

In the upper-left corner of the big square image is a partial view of the original, dating back to the 1980s.

A revision is shown in the narrow attachment, from some time in the 1990s.

The new one just being introduced is the main portion of the larger attachment.

If you were a marketing director which would you pick? How come (I really do not understand).

Edit: Found a copy of the original (I think) logo, ca. 1970s or 80s

annc
09-02-2008, 12:57 PM
From what I can see of the original, I would pick that for a supermarket. The latest is too fussy, and I can't see the point of the colours and dots in the middle one.

But I'm not a shopper, and consider supermarket places where I buy basic essentials for living at a basic price.

My ideal shopping centre would have a supermarket, a good fruit shop, a good butcher, a good deli and a good bottle shop.

Franca
09-02-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm in Stop&Shop territory once every year or two. The original is the one I remember (not that I particularly liked it). The 1990s revision obviously made no impression on me whatsoever! Apparently the marketing department would like to forget about it, too. The latest is, I think, an improvement over the 90s version but honestly ... complete brand revisions are seldom a good idea, IMO. They probably should have stuck with the original, but it's too late now! The new one will look good on white plastic bags....

terrie
09-02-2008, 03:32 PM
This is also the new Giant logo (Giant and Stop & Shop are part of Royal Ahold--or as I like to think of them, Royal A**hole for the damage they've done to Giant a longtime Washington, DC homegrown one time family-owned supermarket (I'm sure Izzy Cohen is spinning in his grave)...

I stopped shopping at Giant when they unilaterally closed the one in the shopping center across from my condo complex. The new logo will not tempt me into shopping there again.

The logo has been compared to the old Partridge Family TV show logo by one of the local newspaper columnist...'-}}

Terrie

John Spragens
09-02-2008, 09:13 PM
The dots look like a traffic light to me -- red and green -- stop and go (go shopping, what else!).

I don't think any of the three is particularly distinguished. The newest is pretty and colorful. But I don't get the point of the colorful semicircles.

Cristen Gillespie
09-03-2008, 06:26 AM
The colorful semicircles look to me as if they're in the hospitality fruit basket business, although if I didn't know Stop&Shop sold food, I'm not sure I'd see that.

ktinkel
09-03-2008, 07:18 AM
The dots look like a traffic light to me -- red and green -- stop and go (go shopping, what else!).

I don't think any of the three is particularly distinguished. The newest is pretty and colorful. But I don't get the point of the colorful semicircles.I think stop and go shopping is definitely the point of the circles, and they have used them for a long time (I found an old bag with what I think is the original logo this morning, so added an image to the original message).

I would hazard the guess that the newest version is meant to be friendly-looking and, despite the reliance on purple, “green.” Maybe we are to think about gardens, fruit, natural things (instead of cans, boxes, and cryovac meat).

Not sure it sells. And since it is being accompanied by changes in the store it may be annoying more of those who even notice it than those who approve.

ktinkel
09-03-2008, 07:32 AM
This is also the new Giant logo (Giant and Stop & Shop are part of Royal Ahold--or as I like to think of them, Royal A**hole for the damage they've done to Giant a longtime Washington, DC homegrown one time family-owned supermarket (I'm sure Izzy Cohen is spinning in his grave)...

I stopped shopping at Giant when they unilaterally closed the one in the shopping center across from my condo complex. The new logo will not tempt me into shopping there again.

The logo has been compared to the old Partridge Family TV show logo by one of the local newspaper columnist...'-}}Cute. I never saw the Partridge Family show, but can imagine!

So many small groceries have been eaten by the behemoths that I can scarcely remember them all. We still have some IGA (independent) groceries. Some of those, including the one near us when we were in Westport, were excellent. There is one here, but way across town, so we rarely go there. The Shop-Rite is locally owned and also very good. It is further away than Stop&Shop, but I go there off and on. There are real butchers, bakers, and fish mongers there.

Shop&Shop originally was paired with Bradlee’s. So far as I know it was a New England business with a few hundred stores. Then the Bradlee’s sort of store declined (only K-Mart remains around here) and was spun off, to die, I guess. (The Bradlee’s space near our local Stop&Shop has only this year been replaced by a BJ’s warehouse store. Until that opened in January, the store sat empty, with faded lettering on the front.)

At this point, Stop&Shop is one of the two largest supermarket chains in the U.S., Shaw’s being the other. I think — that information could be out of date by now.

At some point the Dutch firm bought Stop&Shop; not sure when, but probably 5 to 10 years. But during that same period, there was a lot of consolidation — with many supermarkets closing. That is when we got Shaw’s, which came to this area in 2000 by acquiring the remnants of Grand Union after its bankruptcy. (I always thought of Grand Union as the Milton Glaser store, as that famous designer redid its logo and other image items.)

ktinkel
09-03-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm in Stop&Shop territory once every year or two. The original is the one I remember (not that I particularly liked it). The 1990s revision obviously made no impression on me whatsoever! Apparently the marketing department would like to forget about it, too. The latest is, I think, an improvement over the 90s version but honestly ... complete brand revisions are seldom a good idea, IMO. They probably should have stuck with the original, but it's too late now! The new one will look good on white plastic bags....I agree with you philosophically: Don’t remake brands. Unless, of course, the company is nearly on the skids, and they want customers to forget the old version!

It already is on white plastic bags. Of course, no printing looks good on plastic, but this is a simpler design than #2.

The first (which I found a sample of in a drawer this morning, and added it to the collection in the first message) actually stands out best. They can use it quite large because it is a neat rectangle. And the simple colors are clear and comprehensible.

Franca
09-03-2008, 11:49 AM
The first (which I found a sample of in a drawer this morning, and added it to the collection in the first message) actually stands out best. They can use it quite large because it is a neat rectangle. And the simple colors are clear and comprehensible.Yep. The original was a pretty good logo. I suspect you're right about the intended message of the new one. Cheery, friendly, and "healthy". While it pops out on a white background I can't quite see it on Kraft paper bags ... how does it look on a brown background? Or weren't they thinking about "Paper or plastic?"

Hm. Does Stop&Shop have a "default" bag? The store I go to 99% of the time bags in paper unless plastic is requested. The Safeways I occasionally visit, however, bag in plastic unless the customer asks for paper. None of the stores seem to ask any more. If plastic is the norm at Stop&Shop perhaps it doesn't much matter what the logo looks like on a brown background!

ktinkel
09-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Yep. The original was a pretty good logo. I suspect you're right about the intended message of the new one. Cheery, friendly, and "healthy". While it pops out on a white background I can't quite see it on Kraft paper bags ... how does it look on a brown background? Or weren't they thinking about "Paper or plastic?"

Hm. Does Stop&Shop have a "default" bag? The store I go to 99% of the time bags in paper unless plastic is requested. The Safeways I occasionally visit, however, bag in plastic unless the customer asks for paper. None of the stores seem to ask any more. If plastic is the norm at Stop&Shop perhaps it doesn't much matter what the logo looks like on a brown background!You can ask for brown paper bags; most don’t. The green reusable bags are getting to be popular around here (if by “popular” we mean that perhaps 20 percent of shoppers use them at least sometimes, when they remember to bring them into the store), and you get a nickel credit for each one you use.

I think I saw the new green bags there recently; can’t remember how they made the logo show up — dark purple on forest green is obviously not a good idea, unless they print a block of white beneath it first. Have to watch out next time I am in the store.

terrie
09-03-2008, 02:11 PM
kt: Cute. I never saw the Partridge Family show, but can imagine!The tv ads for Giant using the new logo animated the color sections of the logo making various things--of course the new ads are not captioned so I have no idea what's being said...

>>So many small groceries have been eaten by the behemoths that I can scarcely remember them all.

Giant wasn't really small...it had stores in DC, VA, MD, PA and perhaps other states and was at one time the number one grocery chain in this area...

Terrie

ktinkel
09-03-2008, 02:27 PM
The tv ads for Giant using the new logo animated the color sections of the logo making various things--of course the new ads are not captioned so I have no idea what's being said...If they are like our ads, strings of slogans and other silly stuff, you do not have to regret much.

Norman Hathaway
09-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I think they should get the guy in who did Piggly Wiggly

annc
09-05-2008, 02:43 AM
The store I go to 99% of the time bags in paper unless plastic is requested. The Safeways I occasionally visit, however, bag in plastic unless the customer asks for paper. Half your luck to have the option of paper. Here it's plastic unless you supply your own 'green' bag, most of which are synthetic but at least reusable.

dacoyle
09-05-2008, 06:18 AM

I feel your pain. I have a Giant across from my condo and I love the convenience.

When I first saw the logo, I thought it was a tad cartoony but it grew on me.

ktinkel
09-05-2008, 06:43 AM
I think they should get the guy in who did Piggly WigglyI grew up with Piggly Wiggly but haven’t seen one — or its logo — in decades. I do hear that they are still in business, but haven’t run across them.

Used to be a cartoony pink pig, no?

terrie
09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
dennis: I feel your pain. I have a Giant across from my condo and I love the convenience. I know exactly what you mean--one of the reasons I bought my condo was because of the shopping center. Our Giant had gone pretty far downhill over the last few years (since Royal Ahold took over) so on one level, the loss wasn't that big but it annoyed me that they never invested in improving things.

We do have a new grocery store now (Fresh World) and it's very interesting. I went in on opening day and could barely move because there were soooo many people in the store and it took me a couple of seconds to realize that many, many of them were Korean.

It turned out that the store is owned by Koreans and this is the only store stocking many Korean delicacies that is so close to Ashburn and other "outlying" VA areas. I've not actually been back into the store since opening day but one of my neighbor's shops there quite regularly and is very happy with the store--I've gotten into shopping at the Harris Teeter nearby and keep meaning to shop at the new store but never quite getting around to it...'-}}

>>When I first saw the logo, I thought it was a tad cartoony but it grew on me.

Yeah...it is cartoony...I like the colors...

Terrie

Franca
09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
We picked up some reusable plastic shopping bags in France and brought them home. They live in the back seat of the car. My husband has gotten pretty good at remembering to bring them into the store. So far I am failing miserably.... But I use the paper bags to collect recycling and for packing material, and of course they can be recycled. When I do get plastic I use some of those for disposing of used kitty litter and the rest are - finally - recyclable here. Hardware stores seem to have gone all for plastic. Plus the supermarkets have plastic produce baggies.

annc
09-05-2008, 03:13 PM
We picked up some reusable plastic shopping bags in France and brought them home. They live in the back seat of the car. My husband has gotten pretty good at remembering to bring them into the store. So far I am failing miserably.... But I use the paper bags to collect recycling and for packing material, and of course they can be recycled. When I do get plastic I use some of those for disposing of used kitty litter and the rest are - finally - recyclable here. Hardware stores seem to have gone all for plastic. Plus the supermarkets have plastic produce baggies.I have heaps of the reusable bags because when I get to the supermarket I discover that they're all in the house, so I buy more. Another trap is ducking into the supermarket near where I work while walking home. I invariably don't have a bag on me, of course. I started keeping a couple of bags at work, but they ended up in the car or the house too. :(

ktinkel
09-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Our markers have been selling reuseable bags for half a year or more, and we bought a few. And our local job lot place sold them even more cheaply (50¢ instead of a buck). Then the stores have promotions and give you one for some sort of behavior.

One way or another, we have half a dozen or more. In the car. So if we remember to take them into the store, we use them. Sometimes Jack leaves them because he wants brown paper bags — our newspaper recycling system requires them.

But plastic bag use is declining. Of course, we line all our wastebaskets with them; not sure what we will do when they go poof. Buy plastic bags, I guess. :(

I saw in the paper today that our old town (Westport) has outlawed plastic bags. Merchants who continue to supply them after the deadline will be fined $150 per occurrence. One thing for the big chains; quite another for a ma-and-pa store, of course. But Westport long ago ran out of landfill space; they have had a “transfer station” for 20 years or so, and trash costs them. So it makes sense.

Franca
09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
No plastic bag recycling there?

ktinkel
09-06-2008, 08:03 AM
No plastic bag recycling there?Merchants have recycling receptacles for plastic bags.

We use many of them. Jack stores mysterious stuff in the garage wrapped in used plastic bags. And we use them for some trash, which is probably not a great thing for the landfill. But it is encouraged by the town. It has miserable recycling anyway.

As often as we can, though, assuming Jack doesn’t need plastic or paper bags for some purpose, we use the green recycling bags that are available all over for 99¢ or for free if you are in the right place at the right time. They are sturdy, have a broad flat bottom so they tend to remain upright when full, and I prefer them to plastic bags. We keep them in the car, and take them into the store when shopping.

marlene
09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Yeah, the Giant has really gone downhill. How the mighty have fallen.

It's the closest grocery store to us, but we avoid it. I've been disgruntled ever since they stopped making their marble sugar cookies (which must have been 30 years ago). And when they closed down their own bakeries and started contracting out their baking, the quality really went downhill.

You know how some of the older Giants have neon signs that are really tall, so you can see them from a distance? For a long time, there was one near me that had two burned-out letters, so it read

ANT
FOOD

I shoulda taken a picture ...

I just did a quick google and someone did snap a photo of a similar thing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bohdabinket/2256394940/

mxh

Bo Aakerstrom
09-11-2008, 09:20 AM
It might grow on you, but if I had not read this thread I would not have know what kind of store they were. Interbrand designed this logo and when a big agency like that gets involve you expect something with a bit more to it than a fruit basket.

terrie
09-11-2008, 11:49 AM
ANT
FOODROFL!!!

Terrie