PDA

View Full Version : The lonely sock guide

ElyseC
04-12-2005, 01:42 PM
If only it would be the socks with holes that go missing, but it's usually brand new or otherwise very serviceable pairs of which one succumbs to wanderlust.

Robin Springall
04-12-2005, 02:18 PM
My wife recently produced two special pairs of socks for me: the left one was black and the right one grey. I put on clean socks every month or so whether or not I need to, and last time you just wouldn't believe it: a similar pair appeared in the drawer as if by magic, but this time the black sock was for the right foot and the grey for the left. <gg!>

annc
04-12-2005, 02:33 PM
If only it would be the socks with holes that go missing, but it's usually brand new or otherwise very serviceable pairs of which one succumbs to wanderlust.I always buy at least two pairs of identical socks whenever I go sock shopping.

ElyseC
04-12-2005, 04:53 PM
My wife recently produced two special pairs of socks for me: the left one was black and the right one grey. I put on clean socks every month or so whether or not I need to, and last time you just wouldn't believe it: a similar pair appeared in the drawer as if by magic, but this time the black sock was for the right foot and the grey for the left. <gg!><GG> Thankfully I've not had to pair them up that way, but my hubby did once goof up the navy and black, putting on one of each when it was a bit too dark in the early morn. He got teased all day. <gg>

ElyseC
04-12-2005, 04:55 PM
I always buy at least two pairs of identical socks whenever I go sock shopping.Kids socks don't always come that way in the multi packs (one pair red, one navy, one black, one khaki, one green, one grey). My socks I buy that way, however, and somehow it's never mine that go missing -- it's always the son's or the husband's.

ktinkel
04-12-2005, 04:55 PM
If only it would be the socks with holes that go missing, but it's usually brand new or otherwise very serviceable pairs of which one succumbs to wanderlust.Or my very, very favorite pair, of which there is only one!

ktinkel
04-12-2005, 04:57 PM
My wife recently produced two special pairs of socks for me: the left one was black and the right one grey. I put on clean socks every month or so whether or not I need to, and last time you just wouldn't believe it: a similar pair appeared in the drawer as if by magic, but this time the black sock was for the right foot and the grey for the left. <gg!>Jack does the same thing for me. These laundering spouses are very devious!

ktinkel
04-12-2005, 05:00 PM
I always buy at least two pairs of identical socks whenever I go sock shopping.I try to. But sometimes I am not sure how they will work out so buy a pair, intending to get another two or three if they survive a wear-to-laundry cycle.

Then something intervenes, and I end up with a single pair of really, really, really favorite socks. So sad.

Jack lost one of such a pair recently, so I tied the one I found to the headboard so it dangled right above his pillow. Amazingly, he found the other within two days!

ElyseC
04-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Gotta get some of those plastic doohickeys that you push both of a pair through before tossing into the wash. It sure does keep them together, but can make drying time a little longer, because the mushed together sections stay damp longer.

annc
04-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Kids socks don't always come that way in the multi packs (one pair red, one navy, one black, one khaki, one green, one grey). My socks I buy that way, however, and somehow it's never mine that go missing -- it's always the son's or the husband's.Oh, well, there's not much you can do about the children's socks, but what about the husband's? half a dozen pairs of black socks should last quite a long time, unless your washing machine is extra-hungry.

annc
04-12-2005, 05:10 PM
I try to. But sometimes I am not sure how they will work out so buy a pair, intending to get another two or three if they survive a wear-to-laundry cycle.

Then something intervenes, and I end up with a single pair of really, really, really favorite socks. So sad.

Jack lost one of such a pair recently, so I tied the one I found to the headboard so it dangled right above his pillow. Amazingly, he found the other within two days!I've got to the stage where I buy any I find that don't have that horrid ridged seam right across the tops of the toes. Then I wear them until they wear out. It's almost impossible to find good socks here any more, although amazingly the last lot I found were in one of those discount department stores. I bought about six pairs, but have been loath to wear them in case I never find any with the correctly-turned toe seam, ever again.

annc
04-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Gotta get some of those plastic doohickeys that you push both of a pair through before tossing into the wash. It sure does keep them together, but can make drying time a little longer, because the mushed together sections stay damp longer.You could always put them in the stocking bags, then take them out to hang them on the line to dry. If hung up in pairs, they're less likely to lose each other.

ktinkel
04-12-2005, 05:49 PM
I've got to the stage where I buy any I find that don't have that horrid ridged seam right across the tops of the toes. Then I wear them until they wear out. It's almost impossible to find good socks here any more, although amazingly the last lot I found were in one of those discount department stores. I bought about six pairs, but have been loath to wear them in case I never find any with the correctly-turned toe seam, ever again.Oh, yes! That terrible toe seam.

If you get old-lady catalogs (as I do), you can find socks for diabetics without any toe seams. It may get you on some wretched mail lists, but the socks are much better!

I only shop for socks otherwise in discount places, and I also buy a bunch when I find some likely prospects. If they have seams, I wear them inside-out. After all, what’s the point of being an old lady if you’re not going to be eccentric?

You, of course, are a bit too young. But in another decade or two, give it a try! <g>

annc
04-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Oh, yes! That terrible toe seam.

If you get old-lady catalogs (as I do), you can find socks for diabetics without any toe seams. It may get you on some wretched mail lists, but the socks are much better!

I only shop for socks otherwise in discount places, and I also buy a bunch when I find some likely prospects. If they have seams, I wear them inside-out. After all, what’s the point of being an old lady if you’re not going to be eccentric?

You, of course, are a bit too young. But in another decade or two, give it a try! <g>Actually, I asked in one of those shoe shops that cater for old ladies, and they showed me the socks they had for diabetics. They had the seam on the toe! Maybe I'll have to get you to find me some and post them to me. But I'll wear these six pairs first! By then I'll be old enough to be accepted as an eccentric. My mother thinks I'm too eccentric already.

groucho
04-12-2005, 07:27 PM
As any Norseman could tell you, the universe is supposed to end in a great battle between the Gods, and the Giants (who gave birth to the Gods). Obviously, the washing machine can't really EAT socks. But washers are first cousins of reFRIGerators, and the giants Frig (male) and Freya (female) are the first of all the Giants. You see the conection? From a Norse Giant, to a kitchen appliance named for him, to its first cousin, the washing machine?

Those socks are actually being stolen by the Giants, who plan to use them in the great final battle.

You've probably forgotten all about it, but I'm sure you knew the name of that final battle:

RAGnorak.

Socks obviously will play a vital role. Be very very careful how you treat them, their turn is coming.

ElyseC
04-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Oh, well, there's not much you can do about the children's socks, but what about the husband's? half a dozen pairs of black socks should last quite a long time, unless your washing machine is extra-hungry.Yes, but the husband's office attire includes slacks in khaki, navy, and charcoal. Black works for the charcoal, but not well with the khaki or navy. <g>

ElyseC
04-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Socks obviously will play a vital role. Be very very careful how you treat them, their turn is coming.Hey, they're treated very well around here and still turn on their ungrateful heels and sneak away, although not like they did before we moved. See, I think the old washer (typical low end agitator-in-tub) actually did eat them, luring them over the edge of the tub during a spin, then down to the deep insides somewhere. We left that old washer/dryer set in CA and bought nice, new Bosch monsters here. This new washer is a front-loader and is built to a faretheewell, with no gaps that I can see for anything but maybe lint to escape and hide. Here the missing sock issue is due to socks wishing to go AWOL clinging to other 'host' laundry where I can't spot them and getting folded up and put away inside their 'hosts'.

marlene
04-13-2005, 10:17 PM
At last! An underwear thread! I knew it was just a matter of time.

mxh

marlene
04-13-2005, 10:21 PM
that horrid ridged seam right across the tops of the toes

I hate that seam! Especially when it's all bunchy at the ends, so there's a lump at each end of the seam.

My current favorite socks are made of polar fleece. Very comfy but it's getting too warm to wear them.

mxh
The Sock Queen

Franca
04-13-2005, 10:21 PM
A gender-nonspecific underwear thread. So far. ;-)

groucho
04-14-2005, 07:10 AM
I think all five human genders wear "socks" from time to time. But, are socks underwear? I thought they were "hosiery", which is something else entirely.

And why do we say "Put your shoes and socks on" when the correct sequence is just the opposite? A trick instruction to confuse Martians passing amongst us??<G>

ElyseC
04-14-2005, 09:04 AM
And why do we say "Put your shoes and socks on" when the correct sequence is just the opposite? A trick instruction to confuse Martians passing amongst us??<G>And preschoolers trying to master getting dressed by themselves. My preschooler corrects us if we say "...shoes and socks on" instead of the correct sequence. <g>

Franca
04-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I think of "hosiery" as a subset of underwear. It all goes "under" the basic clothing required (once upon a time, anyway) for appearing in public - except at the beach, where even Victorians presumably didn't wear stockings and shoes into the water.

annc
04-14-2005, 01:15 PM
I hate that seam! Especially when it's all bunchy at the ends, so there's a lump at each end of the seam.Maybe we should get a petition up and demand that they do the seams properly on all socks.

I certainly refuse to buy socks with the seam, and will go through every rack in a shop looking and feeling for socks without it. And I tell the owner/shop assistant why I won't buy their socks.

My current favorite socks are made of polar fleece. Very comfy but it's getting too warm to wear them.They sound wonderful, but are probably impractical here even in the depths of winter.