PDA

View Full Version : InDesign: Pagemaker doc damaged

Anna
08-14-2008, 07:28 AM
"The Pagemaker document is damaged and cannot be recovered."

This is the message I'm suddenly getting from InDesign when trying to open any Pagemaker file in InDesign. I cannot believe that every single Pagemaker doc, including the ones I just created (pretty simple text docs, no graphics) are damaged. The documents open just dandy in Pagemaker.

I'm working on an annual membership directory and, with the people I have helping me, it's easier to index in Pagemaker and then bring those text files into InDesign. Actually, I've been doing the directory in Pagemaker and I'm making my first attempt to finish it off in InDesign this year.

I've been to the Adobe knowledge base and have tried almost all the suggestions listed there: All the updates are in for CS2, all the docs are on a local disk, file formats are not a problem, I've tried opening a copy of several of the docs, re-created the InDesign preference files, startup space is not a problem, deleted temporary files, and I'm sure I have no viruses. I did not adjust the virtual memory settings or disable items that load during startup.

I've even uninstalled/reinstalled both Pagemaker and InDesign. I really don't want to uninstall the whole CS2 if I can find another way.

I know I tried this last year and found that I could bring the Pagemaker files into InDesign without much problem. A little cleanup, I can handle that. I could just do the directory in Pagemaker again, but I was hoping to finally do my largest project in InDesign.

I'm on a PC, Windows XP (SP 3), Pagemaker 7, Creative Suite 2 (with all updates current).

Any suggestions? I'm rather stumped!

Anna

ktinkel
08-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Sounds weird. Want to attach one of your small PageMaker files here (zip it) to see if I or someone else can get ID to like it?

Assume PM opens its own files without difficult?

Anna
08-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Sounds weird. Want to attach one of your small PageMaker files here (zip it) to see if I or someone else can get ID to like it?

Assume PM opens its own files without difficult?
Attached (I hope! :D) is a report generated by PM from long ago. I opened it in PM with no problem, but InDesign gave me the same "document damaged" error.

It is very strange. As I said, I tested this out some time ago with no problems. I made the mental note that it worked and then didn't do anything until I needed it. Which would be, of course, now. :)

ktinkel
08-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Attached (I hope! :D) is a report generated by PM from long ago. I opened it in PM with no problem, but InDesign gave me the same "document damaged" error.

It is very strange. As I said, I tested this out some time ago with no problems. I made the mental note that it worked and then didn't do anything until I needed it. Which would be, of course, now. :)It opened instantly in InDesign CS3, Macintosh (I didn’t retain CS2, but others here may have it). The popup reported it uses Times New Roman, which happened not to be available on my system, and that the tracking had changed.

Bottom line: The file is okay. I was going to offer to send it back to you in CS2 format but see there is no way to save back to an older version. (Tsk!)

Appears this problem has to do with ID or CS2. It would help to have someone else with ID CS2 check that for you. At least find out if the problem is version-related (if no other CS2 user could open the file either).

Anna
08-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Bottom line: The file is okay. I was going to offer to send it back to you in CS2 format but see there is no way to save back to an older version. (Tsk!)

Appears this problem has to do with ID or CS2. It would help to have someone else with ID CS2 check that for you. At least find out if the problem is version-related (if no other CS2 user could open the file either).
And it used to work on my computer, too. :) I'm thinking some setting somewhere has changed that has confuzzled InDesign. Think it's possible that WinXP Service Pack 3 might have done it? That's the only major change to my system that I can think of. Maybe I oughta' head back to the Adobe Knowledge base and see if they have anything to say about that...

Thanks, Kathleen!

Anna
08-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Aha!!

InDesign CS2 always fails to open Pagemaker 7 files
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b4a5e0

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Breaks InDesign CS2 Pagemaker Conversion Capability
http://indesignsecrets.com/windows-xp-service-pack-3-breaks-indesign-cs2-pagemaker-conversion-capability.php

Now to figure out how to roll back Service Pack 3. I really don't want to upgrade to CS3. I haven't even come close to making CS2 breathe hard... :D

terrie
08-14-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm using ID 3.01 on an XP/SP2 system and your file opened just fine in ID...

Terrie

ktinkel
08-14-2008, 12:50 PM
And it used to work on my computer, too. :) I'm thinking some setting somewhere has changed that has confuzzled InDesign. Think it's possible that WinXP Service Pack 3 might have done it? That's the only major change to my system that I can think of. Maybe I oughta' head back to the Adobe Knowledge base and see if they have anything to say about that...Dunno. I see that Terrie (like you, on Windows, unlike me) also had not problem.

Could it be that Bridge thingy Adobe has (I pay no attention to it, so cannot even guess, but maybe it has its little finger in this).

Anna
08-14-2008, 01:33 PM
WinXP Service Pack 3 seems to be the problem, according to the link I found in Adobe forums. Now I need to figure out how to roll back Service Pack 3. I'm working on that now...

ktinkel
08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
WinXP Service Pack 3 seems to be the problem, according to the link I found in Adobe forums. Now I need to figure out how to roll back Service Pack 3. I'm working on that now...Don’t you love being “helped” like that? :rolleyes:

Anna
08-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Don’t you love being “helped” like that? :rolleyes:
Oh, yeahhhhhh... :)

I should have known. A Windows update hosed ZoneAlarm a couple of weeks ago. Luckily Zone Labs is more responsive than Microsoft.

It's just never easy, is it? Sometimes I just wanna be a park ranger. :D

terrie
08-14-2008, 04:45 PM
anna: A Windows update hosed ZoneAlarm a couple of weeks ago. Luckily Zone Labs is more responsive than Microsoft.That's why I never let Windows Update do anything on my system...I had given a passing thought to installing SP3 but I think I'll let it pass me by...'-}}

There should be some entries in the Add/Remove Programs for the SP3 install which should allow you to get rid of it???

Terrie
Terrie

ktinkel
08-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh, yeahhhhhh... :)

I should have known. A Windows update hosed ZoneAlarm a couple of weeks ago. Luckily Zone Labs is more responsive than Microsoft.

It's just never easy, is it? Sometimes I just wanna be a park ranger. :DI don’t use Windows, but think I have seen many complaints about Zone Alarm. Could that be the source of your problem?

Park rangers have pretty tough lives. How about being a cross-country truck driver? <g>

Mike
08-15-2008, 12:57 AM
Well InDesign CS opens it as well with the same messages that Kathleen reported. Not sure if CS files from a Mac will open in CS2 on a PC but here's the file I saved so you can check it's all there.

Michael Rowley
08-15-2008, 06:45 AM
KT:

I don’t use Windows, but think I have seen many complaints about Zone AlarmThere was interference recently between ZA & SP3 for Windows recently, which was promptly reported by Microsoft and quickly put right by a patch from ZA, but ZA has not interfered with any other upgrade to Windows for years.

Anna
08-15-2008, 06:48 AM
That's why I never let Windows Update do anything on my system...I had given a passing thought to installing SP3 but I think I'll let it pass me by...'-}}

There should be some entries in the Add/Remove Programs for the SP3 install which should allow you to get rid of it???
I don't have Windows on automatic updates, I have it set to tell me when there are updates available and then I go pick and choose which updates to install. And the Service Pack 3 was invisible as far as how it affected my system. Until now. I installed it 2-3 months ago with no other problems.

There isn't anything I can positively identify as Service Pack 3 in the Add/Remove. However, someone on another forum tracked down a Microsoft "how to" document, so I'll be working on that today... Let's hope it works. I really need to get going on this membership directory!

Anna
08-15-2008, 06:53 AM
There was interference recently between ZA & SP3 for Windows recently, which was promptly reported by Microsoft and quickly put right by a patch from ZA, but ZA has not interfered with any other upgrade to Windows for years.
What Michael said. :D There are those who have trouble with ZA and those who have had trouble with Norton. I've discovered it all depends on your system and how careful you are about taking care of said system. Zone Alarm worked flawlessly for me until that Windows update. And within a day they had a patch out to fix the problem. I'd call that pretty good service.

terrie
08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
anna: I don't have Windows on automatic updates, I have it set to tell me when there are updates available and then I go pick and choose which updates to install. Sounds like a very sensible approach...'-}}

>>And the Service Pack 3 was invisible as far as how it affected my system. Until now. I installed it 2-3 months ago with no other problems.

OHHH!! I hate that sort of problem because it can be sooo hard to track down...

>> There isn't anything I can positively identify as Service Pack 3 in the Add/Remove.

Bummer...glad you found the "how to"...hope it' turns out to be fairly straightforward to fix...

>>Zone Alarm worked flawlessly for me until that Windows update.

I think I hate updating ZA almost as much as I hate updating Windows software because installing a new version of ZA is such a pita and so I rarely update a working version...

Terrie

Anna
08-15-2008, 10:34 AM
>> There isn't anything I can positively identify as Service Pack 3 in the Add/Remove.

Bummer...glad you found the "how to"...hope it' turns out to be fairly straightforward to fix...

It was very straightforward. Better yet, it worked! I can now open my Pagemaker docs in InDesign! Yippee!

It also turns out that I have never noticed a checkbox in Add/Remove that says "Show updates." It was on the directions to remove SP3. And once I clicked, "Windows XP Service Pack 3" was right there in the list! Wow. The things that you can miss when you don't need them! :o

Terrie:
>>Zone Alarm worked flawlessly for me until that Windows update.

I think I hate updating ZA almost as much as I hate updating Windows software because installing a new version of ZA is such a pita and so I rarely update a working version...Hmmm. I've never had a real problem with ZA. And I think the problems I have had have been of my own making. I start clicking on some things that I don't completely understand what they do. I don't do that any more. :D

In case anyone needs the SP3 removal directions from Microsoft, you can find it here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Michael Rowley
08-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Anna:

It also turns out that I have never noticed a checkbox in Add/Remove that says "Show updates".It's very easy to overlook that checkbox in Windows XP, especially as you have to check it very soon after Add/Remove Programs is opened (it works next time you open that program, but then that might be months later!). But Vista doesn't even have the checkbox: there's a separate window for installed updates.

terrie
08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
anna: It was very straightforward. Better yet, it worked! I can now open my Pagemaker docs in InDesign! Yippee!YAY!!!

>>It also turns out that I have never noticed a checkbox in Add/Remove that says "Show updates." It was on the directions to remove SP3. And once I clicked, "Windows XP Service Pack 3" was right there in the list! Wow. The things that you can miss when you don't need them! :o

LOL!!! I think I must have that checkmarked because I can see any Win updates in the Add/Remove list...

>>Hmmm. I've never had a real problem with ZA.

I've had some real oddities with ZA--more on my sister's laptop (I'm the family tech...'-}}) than on my own machines so that's made me leery...

>>And I think the problems I have had have been of my own making. I start clicking on some things that I don't completely understand what they do. I don't do that any more. :D

LOL!!! I've been down that path myself...'-}}

Thanks for the KB link...

Terrie

ktinkel
08-15-2008, 03:05 PM
It was very straightforward. Better yet, it worked! I can now open my Pagemaker docs in InDesign! Yippee!That is very good news.

There should be an alert when weird stuff happens — something that says you have a software conflict, go to this place, do this thing, and all will be well!

That’ll be the day. :rolleyes:

Anna
08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
That is very good news.

There should be an alert when weird stuff happens — something that says you have a software conflict, go to this place, do this thing, and all will be well!

That’ll be the day. :rolleyes:
Oh, how I wish. I could have hours and hours, possibly days, of my life back...

Cristen Gillespie
08-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Anna: possibly days, of my life back..

Definitely days. I know I've spent days trying to track down problems. Fortunately, I still get more days not troubleshooting than I have to spend troubleshooting, or we'd all be shooting our computers. <G>

> "In the end, to cook is a humble act. To cook and serve people." Alton Brown

I enjoy Alton Brown, but I must admit I prefer to cook and serve fish rather than people. '-}

Anna
08-16-2008, 07:11 AM
> "In the end, to cook is a humble act. To cook and serve people." Alton Brown

I enjoy Alton Brown, but I must admit I prefer to cook and serve fish rather than people. '-}

When you put it like that, it sounds like a Twilight Zone episode! :D

Cristen Gillespie
08-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Anna: a Twilight Zone episode!

LOL. Alton sometimes does seem to belong in one.