PDA

View Full Version : InDesign CS3 Changing Styles

BobRoosth
07-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I am working on a 200 page document (ID CS3 Windows) with something like 80 linked documents. At least twice in the past day I have found paragraphs whose styles have been changed to that of an adjacent paragraph.

Has anyone else seen this?

ktinkel
07-11-2008, 08:39 AM
I am working on a 200 page document (ID CS3 Windows) with something like 80 linked documents. At least twice in the past day I have found paragraphs whose styles have been changed to that of an adjacent paragraph.

Has anyone else seen this?Had you inadvertently backed up and connected the two paragraphs? I do that occasionally, and then discover one set of styles had overwritten another.

It is common enough a bit of foolishness (for me, I hasten to add) that if I see a paragraph in the wrong style, I just assume I did it. So no good advice here. I’ll try to pay more attention in the future, though. Maybe it is ID CS3.

BobRoosth
07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Had you inadvertently backed up and connected the two paragraphs?
Not likely. I was paging through before sending a pdf to the editor and saw 30-40 graphs in the wrong format. It is real obvious when I see white text not in its headline frame. I know it was tagged correctly before I moved on to the next article.

I have not explored how linked text files are handled. In Ventura, I could ensure the linked document was updated on every save, but I don't know what ID does.

ktinkel
07-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Not likely. I was paging through before sending a pdf to the editor and saw 30-40 graphs in the wrong format. It is real obvious when I see white text not in its headline frame. I know it was tagged correctly before I moved on to the next article.

I have not explored how linked text files are handled. In Ventura, I could ensure the linked document was updated on every save, but I don't know what ID does.Sorry. I don’t know enough about ID. Now if you were asking about PageMaker … :(

BobRoosth
07-22-2009, 09:14 AM
One year later, I am doing the same job again, with the same problem. I posted the question in the Adobe forum and found the solution.

My workflow is not consistent. I generally do s&r in Word to replace ^w^p with ^p, along with a lot of other cleanups. Sometimes I forget, notice the extra space in ID, and run the same s&r there. Not a good idea. The Replace step combines two 'graphs, then splits them, making the second the same style as the first!

The better is a GREP replace: [\t ]+$ (replaced with nothing).

Michael Rowley
07-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Bob:
I generally do s&r in Word to replace ^w^p with ^pThat error is generally the result of typing (as usual) a space after a full point and then type a paragraph mark, so you can just find all paragraph marks that follow a space (not a 'white space'—^w) and repace it by a paragraph mark; that, as you say, is harmless. But if all versions of ID do it differently, then thanks for the warning!

BobRoosth
07-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I use ^w because some files have tabs before the return. Don't ask me why people type the way they do. I gave up expecting good keyboarding from my clients a long time ago. The worst may be tabs in the middle of a paragraph to force text to a new line!

Michael Rowley
07-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Bob:
I use ^w because some files have tabs before the return. Don't ask me why people type the way they doOh yes: people use tabs, non-breaking spaces, apparently at random.

Benwiggy
07-23-2009, 02:55 AM
The better is a GREP replace: [\t ]+$ (replaced with nothing).
The ability to do grep searching in CS3 is a godsend. Once you get the hang of regular expression syntax, you can do extremely powerful search and replaces.

BobRoosth
07-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Agreed. I can often figure out a search, but sometimes can't figure out the replace, one where part of the found string needs to be preserved, part deleted. I suspect I really need to spend more time RTFM.

Eric Ladner
07-26-2009, 10:44 PM
>>I gave up expecting good keyboarding from my clients a long time ago.<<

I've been getting text - fortunately short! - from a client who still double-spaces after every period, even though she's young enough never to have used a typewriter. I wonder where she learned it.

Benwiggy
07-27-2009, 02:58 AM
Agreed. I can often figure out a search, but sometimes can't figure out the replace, one where part of the found string needs to be preserved, part deleted. I suspect I really need to spend more time RTFM.
Put the bit that you want to keep in brackets. Then put \1 in the replace box. Obviously, if you have more than one sub-group in brackets, then use \2, \3, .... as appropriate.

Michael Rowley
07-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Eric:
I wonder where she learned itIt's fairly common, even in Britain, where the practice of typing two spaces has never been taught anywhere.

ktinkel
07-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I've been getting text - fortunately short! - from a client who still double-spaces after every period, even though she's young enough never to have used a typewriter. I wonder where she learned it.She wants to be sure the reader knows that the sentence has ended and a new thought is about to appear.