PDA

View Full Version : Print Usage in Business Sectors

Cyndi
05-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi

For my research paper at uni, I need to find out which business sectors use commercial printing the most.

I figured since all of you are in DTP, you'll be able to tell which business sector you do the most work for, and therefore that'll be the sector getting the most print. Make sense?

If anyone has any info, like which industry sector do you do the most work for, can you let me know, plus say which country you are from?

Thanks so much in advance

Cyn

LoisWakeman
05-23-2008, 01:32 AM
Hi Cyndi,
I'm in the UK, and the very small amount of printing (rather than electronic delivery) that I do nowadays has been stationery and flyers for small local businesses: e.g builders, holiday cottage owners.
That's only a very few percent of my output though!

ktinkel
05-23-2008, 06:53 AM
For my research paper at uni, I need to find out which business sectors use commercial printing the most.

I figured since all of you are in DTP, you'll be able to tell which business sector you do the most work for, and therefore that'll be the sector getting the most print. Make sense?

If anyone has any info, like which industry sector do you do the most work for, can you let me know, plus say which country you are from?I’ll try. I retired three years ago after 35 years as a graphic designer in the NYC area. However, the past dozen years (or so) have involved so much change that my answers might well be behind the times.

The advertising industry consumes a lot of print; the percentage of all advertising may be dropping (though the web’s advantage is often over-stated). But advertising involves print advertising, brochures, flyers, all sorts of direct mail, etc. And a lot of it is “better” printing — lots of color, use of illustrations and images, etc.

Book publishing, of course. They say print is dead, but book publishing in North America at least (and I believe also in Europe) is at an all-time high. That is just conventional publishing, but the print-on-demand segment (in which a digital document is stored, often as a PDF, and a book produced quickly as an order comes in) is also doing pretty well. Don’t know the numbers.

Magazines seem to be on the decline, though new ones pop up increasingly fast. But when I run across an old copy of almost any magazine still published, I am surprised at how many fewer pages there are today. So there may be more magazines but smaller ones; not sure how circulation or newsstand sales compare today.

Newspapers — daily, weekly; national, regional, local. From the sound of many articles, you would think they are all dying. May be, but the NY Times, Washington Post, other newspapers including those owned by Rupert Murdoch (Wall Street Journal, New York Post, Times of London, etc.) continue to publish not only regular editions but special advertising sections.

Nonprofit agencies do a lot of printing. That was my specialty for many years. Most publish reports and surveys, actual books, annual reports, and magazines (perhaps quarterly rather than monthly). Professional organizations that conduct meetings may publish journals and monographs. These are likely to have only moderate to low circulation, and not too many pages, but there are lots of such entities.

Have you contacted organizations that represent facets of the publishing industry: prepress people, graphic designers, editors, print industry, etc? Or the magazines that follow these trades? That might be a better way to get the broad picture.

Cyndi
05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanx ladies, you've been a great hep!

Cyn xxx