PDA

View Full Version : auto numbering in text frame...how?

FlipSide
05-20-2008, 02:31 AM
I have a price list for a hair salon that I am currently working on.

I have a single text frame per price section. in this format
|number |description...............price|

(nb: the "|" represents tabs)

I've automated page numbers before in the master pages. but how would I go about numbering in this situation? (so that if I re-order the list, the numbers are dynamic so that if i add a new item, the following number changes to compensate ie. 5 changes to 6, etc)

thanks for any feedback

LoisWakeman
05-20-2008, 05:57 AM
What application?

FlipSide
05-20-2008, 06:00 AM
LOL that might help!! sorry!

I'm using InDesign CS3

Howard Allen
05-20-2008, 09:04 AM
With the text tool active, select the paragraphs (lines) you want to number. Go to the control panel (top of the screen) and make sure the paragraph mode is active. Just to the left of the Hyphenate check box is a button with horizontal lines and microscopic numbers (it's no wonder you didn't see it). Click it and your lines will auto-number. If you hold down Option/Alt when you click, you'll get the numbering dialog and can set your numbers up the way you like.
Adobe has a short video (http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/) on the topic, called "Create bullets and numbering".

Cheers,

FlipSide
05-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks howard, that was just what I was looking for!

Howard Allen
05-20-2008, 07:52 PM
You're welcome. I'm not an ID expert--you just lucked out on the timing, as I upgraded to CS3 two days ago and had just watched the Adobe video on line numbering last night! :p

FlipSide
05-20-2008, 08:15 PM
oh I love when that happens! (especially this time! lol)