PDA

View Full Version : Recabling

Mervyn Long
01-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Right. Now then. I have this huge pile of hardware and cables over *there* and the compuer working fine without them over *here* (other than the fact that even with that few cables around the computer, it'is already knotted up and all over the place.

Next time I do it I'll ask your advice first - in fact lemme ask it now for when I *do* get it all sorted out. How do you all keep the damn cables tidy? Does anyone use conduit piping or make up a harness, a loom?

Mervyn

marlene
01-29-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm also interesting in hearing about how other people deal with the tangled spaghetti of computer cables. It's gotten a lot worse with the advent of all those external Firewire and USB devices.

I'd like to find a method that keeps the cables organized, but still makes it easy to trace a cable from its device to whatever port or socket it's plugged into.

mxh

ElyseC
01-30-2005, 01:46 PM
I'd like to find a method that keeps the cables organized, but still makes it easy to trace a cable from its device to whatever port or socket it's plugged into.
Head to an electrical supply store and you should be able to find the nifty numbered labels electricians use just for that purpose. It's a sheet of tiny labels, two per number (or letter? can't remember for sure) and before you disconnect a cable from its port, you put one sticker by the port and the companion sticker on the cable plug. When you reassemble, it's just a matter of matching the numbers.

Piece o' proverbial cake (which, I read elsewhere, you're a great fan of <g>)!

John Spragens
01-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Given what the top of my desk looks like, up where I can see it, I'd be a fool to worry about the snarl of cables hidden underneath.

Franca
01-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Given what the top of my desk looks like, up where I can see it, I'd be a fool to worry about the snarl of cables hidden underneath.Hah - an office like mine!

Mervyn Long
02-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Take my advice - don't even look!

Mervyn

ktinkel
02-01-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm also interesting in hearing about how other people deal with the tangled spaghetti of computer cables. It's gotten a lot worse with the advent of all those external Firewire and USB devices.

I'd like to find a method that keeps the cables organized, but still makes it easy to trace a cable from its device to whatever port or socket it's plugged into.Before I got my nice Anthrocart desk with built-in cord channels, Jack used to bundle up the unneeded lengths of cables (and bundle several together) using cute Velcro-fastened straps.

The bundles do hang (or lie on the floor sometimes), but at least they do not get tangled, and it is very easy to see what goes where (usually — I favor odd colors for cables when I have the option, which helps).

JVegVT
02-01-2005, 08:24 PM
How do you all keep the damn cables tidy? Does anyone use conduit piping or make up a harness, a loom?
All my attempts to keep my cables tidy have failed. One thing I do with one of my desktop computers is to position the tower so that the back is on one side of the desk rather than against the wall. That way I can get at things easily. The cables seem to be a bit neater, too.

But we're doomed. You'd think there would be fewer cables with a laptop, but it's just as bad! I have USB cables, power cables, and all the cables just lying around for when I need them (PDA, digital camera, etc.).
--Judy M.

marlene
02-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Mr. Excitement, who handles the cabling (which is why it's all so unkempt) does label the connector doohickeys and ports, but he uses masking tape.

Regarding the unkemptness, for months he had a too-short cable going from my router to "his" computer in the dining room. He has it pinned up along the ceiling, around the door frames, etc., but it wasn't quite long enough to be pinned down everywhere, and I had to duck under it to walk around the side of my desk. A couple of times I forgot to duck, or didn't duck low enough, and got garrotted by the cable (and the router would fall off the top of my PC tower).

I finally bought a longer cable and made him restring it, but it still isn't long enough. I still have to duck, although not so much.

cake

Ah yes, I had my minimum daily requirement of cake today. 4-layer chocolate mousse cake from the Safeway. Yum.

mxh

marlene
02-01-2005, 09:08 PM
cute Velcro-fastened straps

Interesting. Where does one get such things? Sometimes Mr. E coils up those unneeded cable lengths and uses twist ties to secure them, but I hate having all those twist ties sticking up.

And I find that all these cables, and the coils, are magnets for dust and grime. Then again, my whole house is a magnet for dust and grime.

None of my cables are purty colors. Just black, gray, white ...

When I had to buy a longer cable for the router, I had many color options, but Mr. E insisted on white so it would not be so obvious that he had done a crappy job of running the wire along the white ceilings, etc. And he was very perturbed to find that we could not buy a cable that didn't have the specs printed on it. He was actually talking about painting over the specs with white paint, but I talked him out of it.

I may have told that story before. <g>

mxh

marlene
02-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Given what the top of my desk looks like, up where I can see it, I'd be a fool to worry about the snarl of cables hidden underneath.

ROFL! I really ought to post a photo of my desk. It's a disgrace. As is the rest of my office. I need a forklift.

mxh

ElyseC
02-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Interesting. Where does one get such things? Sometimes Mr. E coils up those unneeded cable lengths and uses twist ties to secure them, but I hate having all those twist ties sticking up.
I'm pretty sure I've seen them at the usual electronics places -- CompUSA, OfficeMac, Office Depot, Staples,...

Hey! Look at what I just googled up -- a whole site just for controlling cable clutter! http://www.cableorganizer.com/cableties-wrap-clips/

ktinkel
02-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Hey! Look at what I just googled up -- a whole site just for controlling cable clutter! http://www.cableorganizer.com/cableties-wrap-clips/That’s a neat site. And I would bet I know which ones will appeal to Marlene: the frog or fish clip! <g>

ElyseC
02-02-2005, 09:06 AM
That’s a neat site. And I would bet I know which ones will appeal to Marlene: the frog or fish clip! <g>
<gg>

It is a nifty site! I'm glad to find it!

And here are some cable labels on the order of what I mentioned getting from an electrical supply house:
http://www.cableorganizer.com/wire-marker/index.html

Norman Hathaway
02-02-2005, 11:15 AM
I use differently colored releaseable cable ties. And like Kathleen, get colored cables whenever possible.

I hate cables. Isn't this the 21st century??? Damn.

N

ElyseC
02-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I hate cables. Isn't this the 21st century??? Damn.
Supposedly.

If I thought Bluetooth to be reliable enough (don't like the thought of device batteries dying during something critical) I would've ordered Bluetooth keyboards and mice for our two desktop computers. I did get Bluetooth factory-installed in all three machines in anticipation of getting new Palms.

PeterArnel
02-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Mervyn
for home i went down the garden centre and got some very nice little plastic ties that they use for tieing plants back
they are about 4 inches longn and one end is serated and fits into a slot in the other
U can conqueror the world woth them :-)
Peter

Mervyn Long
02-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Hi Peter - I took the advice of the wise person who posted the URL of cableorganizer.com and got things similar to those you decribe except they're Velcro. Now instead of an unsightly mess I have a rather good looking mess - but mess it is, just the same <g>. Roll on the day of wireless everything!

Mervyn