PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX (10.3) System fonts

Adrian
04-07-2005, 02:22 AM
Hi!
I've just read through "OS X & fonts: Grrrrrrr!" and now want to give up and go home! I thought my problem was simple and it was just me, but maybe not. Forgive me if I take this one step at a time.

Which of the "system" fonts do I have to leave as is, and which can I safely move into a folder elsewhere?

My aim is to use Suitcase (10.2.1) and InDesign CS, but I'm having a problem trying to persuade Suitcase to accept a PS version of Dingbats over the system's TT one.

Best wishes, Adrian

Cristen Gillespie
04-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi!

My aim is to use Suitcase (10.2.1) and InDesign CS, but I'm having a problem trying to persuade Suitcase to accept a PS version of Dingbats over the system's TT one.

Best wishes, Adrian

I haven't tried out how this works, but have you checked in Suitcase Prefs to prefer PS to TT when there's a font conflict? There are only a few fonts that must remain in the OS library--I think Pogue lists them, and I'm pretty sure the documentation with Suitcase does as well. I just can't remember exactly where I saw it, but I noticed it was far fewer than the OS ships with.

Adrian
04-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Cristen,

Thanks for the message. Yes, I have told Suitcase to prefer PS to TT, and I've told it to over-ride the system fonts!

And thanks for the Pogue tip. I got this free with a magazine subscription a couple of years ago, but as we weren't using OSX at the time, it got put away and forgotten about.

Best wishes, Adrian

danakay
04-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi!
I've just read through "OS X & fonts: Grrrrrrr!" and now want to give up and go home! I thought my problem was simple and it was just me, but maybe not. Forgive me if I take this one step at a time.

Which of the "system" fonts do I have to leave as is, and which can I safely move into a folder elsewhere?

Best wishes, Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I can totally relate to your angst. I, too, just switched over to OSX and it's been challenging.

A friend shared this PDF link that helped me quite a bit. In it they claim the bare minimum to be Geneva, Keyboard, Last Resort, Lucida Grande and Monaco. They also recommend keeping Helvetica (but a non-dfont rendition) in there since it's used with so many applications.
http://tinyurl.com/48yqx

Dana

Adrian
04-08-2005, 02:32 AM
Dana,

"Challenging" is nicely put! Thanks for the link -- it looks helpful. Perhaps with that and Pogue we might make some progress.

Best wishes, Adrian

ktinkel
04-08-2005, 07:03 AM
A friend shared this PDF link that helped me quite a bit. In it they claim the bare minimum to be Geneva, Keyboard, Last Resort, Lucida Grande and Monaco. They also recommend keeping Helvetica (but a non-dfont rendition) in there since it's used with so many applications.Thanks for that link — the article looks useful.

I am sure we will learn how to tame these dratted fonts eventually! <g>

djb
04-08-2005, 05:21 PM

Read the PDF I wrote for our IT department to use when configuring production Macs with 10.3...

Fonts in Panther (http://balderstone.ca/FontsInPanther.pdf)

djb

Adrian
04-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks djb, that's really helpful (but I might be back with more questions later!).

Best wishes, Adrian

JohnC
04-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Extensis has a new PDF about fonts in OSX, too:
http://www.extensis.com/en/downloads/document_download.jsp?docId=5600039&ref=ABPG

John

Adrian
04-18-2005, 05:39 AM
John,

Thanks for that, it's another useful document.

I'm just about to use the three suggested documents to try to bring some order to my "system" fonts. I'll let you all know how I get on!

Best wishes, Adrian