PDA

View Full Version : Convert Opentype to truetype?

Alastair Bruce
04-01-2005, 01:25 AM
Can anyone tell me if it possible to convert an opentype font to truetype?

I have a client who supplies a big customer and labels his products with barcoded and product coded labels that he prints in house using a special labelling application. His customer uses a specially drawn font as part of their corporate ID. This is an open type font.

The problem arises because the labelling app can only use Truetype unless you spend over £400 on an upgrade.

I've thought of using an ai or eps for each of the code numbers but as there are 30 labels to a sheet and a mix of codes from over 60 kinds (some being fractions) it would be a logistical nightmare and I'm also dubious whether the labelling app could even place image files successfully.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

A

Update - found a font conversion engine works OK. Thx

Michael Rowley
04-01-2005, 07:19 AM
Alastair:

'Can anyone tell me if it possible to convert an opentype font to truetype?'

It shouldn't be necessary to convert an open-type font to TrueType, if the information given by TransType Pro (a font converter) is anything to go by:

'For the end user there is little difference between OpenType and TrueTypefonts: both are stored in a single font file, both are Unicode-encoded andWindows and Mac OS directly support both.'

Unless you know definitely that it the application doesn't work with open-type fonts, conversion, although possible, may be unnecessary. (Perhaps a bit like working out a method for straightening that spire.)

Alastair Bruce
04-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Michael - thanks but the app definitely doesn't support Opentype.

It's difficult as my customer (who is in Holland) used the labelling system on a win98 box that he kept for the purpose, then because his customer developed the new identity with the custom font which wouldn't run on the app, he re-installed it on an XP box (requiring dongle upgrade) then app still won't support opentype without £400+ upgrade!

He is most displeased . . . Came to me for help, I found Transtype and converted the font, now waiting to see if it's successful.

(Chesterfield is like Pisa - nobody would come if the spire was straight)

A

Michael Rowley
04-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Alastair:

'the app definitely doesn't support Opentype'

Possibly the new font is an OTF font, which wouldn't work in Windows 98 without ATM; but if it doesn't work in Windows XL either, the application would seem to be trouble.

donmcc
04-01-2005, 07:28 PM
if it doesn't work in Windows XL either, the application would seem to be trouble.

Not really. Now, if it doesn't work in Windows XP, that would be different.

Don McCahill (an old editor who just can't quit.)

John Spragens
04-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Considering the eXtra Layer of jelly-bean coating in XP, I think the typo was apt.