PDA

View Full Version : Mac users, please help

dthomsen8
01-03-2008, 10:43 AM
I have been poking around the Philadelphia Revenue Department web site, and I will be sending some suggestions along to them. For one suggestion, I would like some help from the Mac users here. Please go to the following page:
http://www.phila.gov/revenue/Real_Estate_Tax.html

and use the line “Click here to print payment coupon” and see if you get results. In Firefox and Safari I get the following page:

https://ework.phila.gov/revenue/browser.htm

Of course, I am using Windows XP, so I don’t know what Mac users get. This is one more instance of the general rule, use Microsoft Internet Explorer, or else, don’t bother with our site.

If any forum members want to tell the webmaster otherwise, write to webissues@phila.gov and tell them to allow Safari and Firefox.

annc
01-03-2008, 11:22 AM
I got the redirect page that says they only support IE 5 or higher.

dthomsen8
01-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I got the redirect page that says they only support IE 5 or higher.

So Mac users are unwelcome, as I expected. Yes, I know that Mac users can download and install a version of MS IE, but why should they? Maybe sites like this one make them do it, even though they rarely want to use MS IE.

ktinkel
01-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Like Ann, I get the redirect, with a link to the current version of IE.

It is bad enough when regular citizens elect to shut out a sizable minority of the web-using public — it is outrageous when a government agency does it. Equal access laws, anyone?

I would complain, but doubt they care much about the travails of non-residents. But everyone in Philadelphia ought to tell them.

ktinkel
01-03-2008, 11:32 AM
So Mac users are unwelcome, as I expected. Yes, I know that Mac users can download and install a version of MS IE, but why should they? Maybe sites like this one make them do it, even though they rarely want to use MS IE.Until recently Mac users got MSIE with the OS, but it was not installed on this new machine, so I guess even Microsoft and Apple finally recognize the insanity of supplying customers with a really out-of-date browser. (The highest version for the Mac is 5.2-ish.)

dthomsen8
01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Like Ann, I get the redirect, with a link to the current version of IE.

It is bad enough when regular citizens elect to shut out a sizable minority of the web-using public — it is outrageous when a government agency does it. Equal access laws, anyone?

I would complain, but doubt they care much about the travails of non-residents. But everyone in Philadelphia ought to tell them.

KT, They can't tell you live outside Philadelphia, and even if you live out of state, they won't be bothered to look up whether you own real estate here.

Please go ahead and complain: webissues@phila.gov and revenue@phila.gov and tell them to allow for Mac users.

Ann, are you reading this? They don't know you are in Australia! Feel free to complain.

dthomsen8
01-03-2008, 12:05 PM
MS IE for Mac (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10902) is still available. Microsoft doesn't support it, it is way back at version 5.2.3, but that would work with those web sites that insist on MS IE and nothing else. Firefix once had a place to complain about sites that don't take it, but I don't know if they still do that.

Anyway, I suspect that only real techies like yourself bother to get the old MS IE for the Mac any more, and that is why every Mac user should complain to sites that insist on MS IE and nothing else.

ktinkel
01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
MS IE for Mac (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10902) is still available. Microsoft doesn't support it, it is way back at version 5.2.3, but that would work with those web sites that insist on MS IE and nothing else. Actually, I’m not sure it still runs. I semi-remember setting it aside a few OS updates ago.

… every Mac user should complain to sites that insist on MS IE and nothing else.I sort of agree, and I do do it when I have time and think there is any chance it might help, but it does get discouraging, and the responses, when there are any, are usually hostile.

ktinkel
01-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Okay, okay! :) I complained. Let’s see if I get any sort of response.

Benwiggy
01-04-2008, 05:02 AM
You can set Safari to fool websites into thinking it's a PC running IE, by activating the Debug menu and then setting the appropriate preferences.

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

dthomsen8
01-04-2008, 07:50 AM
You can set Safari to fool websites into thinking it's a PC running IE, by activating the Debug menu and then setting the appropriate preferences.

I will try that out. I believe that Opera and Firefox have such preferences, too. Whether it works on every site blocking everything except MS IE is another issue.

ktinkel
01-04-2008, 08:27 AM

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1Really! That’s interesting.

There used to be a menu option in Opera, but I don’t see it now — you just told it to announce itself as MSIE. Didn’t help in my experience, unfortunately.

iamback
01-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Is it still available? If so, I should add it to Isaac for testing, at least!

iamback
01-05-2008, 12:02 AM
MS IE for Mac (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10902) is still available.Actually, the page says "NO LONGER AVAILABLE, DISCONTINUED" - there is no download link either. :( Since there are presumably some people still using it, I'd like to have a copy...

iamback
01-05-2008, 12:04 AM
There used to be a menu option in Opera, but I don’t see it now — you just told it to announce itself as MSIE. Didn’t help in my experience, unfortunately.It won't work for the cleverer browser sniffers, because no matter what you set the string as in Opera, the text "Opera" will always remain somewhere in the actual user agent string. To really fool websites you need a better tool, like a software proxy that can change HTTP headers.

ktinkel
01-05-2008, 05:46 AM
It won't work for the cleverer browser sniffers, because no matter what you set the string as in Opera, the text "Opera" will always remain somewhere in the actual user agent string. To really fool websites you need a better tool, like a software proxy that can change HTTP headers.I figured it was something like that. I have limited patience with sites that don’t let me in, anyway. It seems so silly.

dthomsen8
01-05-2008, 05:53 AM

Here is a hint about how to start Safari Debug in Windows. (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070611144942562)

I did both of the hints in this article, and they don't work. At least, I cannot find the Debug menu. Any thoughts?

Steve Rindsberg
01-05-2008, 12:37 PM
It's moved in Opera ... in older versions, it was app-wide. In the newer versions, it's one of the per-site options (which makes it harder to find quickly, but makes a great deal more sense)

ktinkel
01-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Actually, the page says "NO LONGER AVAILABLE, DISCONTINUED" - there is no download link either. :( Since there are presumably some people still using it, I'd like to have a copy...Try this site (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Internet-Explorer.shtml). They say they have it available for download.

annc
01-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Actually, I’m not sure it still runs. I semi-remember setting it aside a few OS updates ago.I just tried and it works on my Intel PowerBook Pro running Leopard, but thinks the system memory is low. I did a refresh after it had finished loading and it displayed the graphics.

iamback
01-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Try this site (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Internet-Explorer.shtml). They say they have it available for download.Information says it requires a PowerPC though... might as well try (it does download) but I fear that is not going to work on my Intel-based Isaac.

I guess I'm in the market for PPC-on-Intel virtualization ;)

ktinkel
01-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Information says it requires a PowerPC though... might as well try (it does download) but I fear that is not going to work on my Intel-based Isaac.

I guess I'm in the market for PPC-on-Intel virtualization ;)You are a glutton for punishment! ;)

dthomsen8
01-06-2008, 10:12 AM
It's moved in Opera ... in older versions, it was app-wide. In the newer versions, it's one of the per-site options (which makes it harder to find quickly, but makes a great deal more sense)

Ah, so how do I find it?

Steve Rindsberg
01-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Ah, so how do I find it?
It's not what you'd call intuitive:

Press F12 (or choose Tools, Quick Preferences)
Edit Site Preferences
Network tab
Browser identification: choose yer poison