PDA

View Full Version : Poor Pi

ktinkel
12-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Do you really want Jack cooking in your kitchen? Lately I would be delighted if anyone would cook in my kitchen (except me). But I should also say that he helps, mainly by cutting onions, ginger, garlic, etc.

Incidentally, who is that kitty?That is our cat Pi who has been in the hospital all week, so I figured I would make her famous to see if it helped her recover.

Must be working; the vet called this morning and said she had begun to eat a little, was walking around, and otherwise showing signs of improvement. Yesterday, she followed us with her eyes, but otherwise just lay there. So this is welcome news. We will go visit her in an hour or so.

She is 17, and until now, always healthy.

Cristen Gillespie
12-22-2007, 11:04 AM
KT: That is our cat Pi who has been in the hospital all week, so I figured I would make her famous to see if it helped her recover.

I'll hope it continues to be good news. She's lovely and I hope you get a few more good years.

terrie
12-22-2007, 11:40 AM
kt: That is our cat Pi who has been in the hospital all weekOh no!!! I hope she will be feeling better soon...

Terrie

ktinkel
12-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Oh no!!! I hope she will be feeling better soon...Me, too.

We just came back from visiting her, and we are encouraged. Two days ago she was inert, barely responsive. Yesterday she responded with her eyes and by wiggling her ears, but she wouldn’t even lift her head. Today she was moving around, stood up, muttered at us, and paid attention to everything around her — really an improvement.

She will be on a feeding tube for a month or more, but we may be able to bring her home tomorrow.

dthomsen8
12-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Me, too.

We just came back from visiting her, and we are encouraged. Two days ago she was inert, barely responsive. Yesterday she responded with her eyes and by wiggling her ears, but she wouldn’t even lift her head. Today she was moving around, stood up, muttered at us, and paid attention to everything around her — really an improvement.

She will be on a feeding tube for a month or more, but we may be able to bring her home tomorrow.

Since I don't know the facts about cats, I looked up the following:

"The average life expectancy for a neutered, well looked after cat is now 15 - 17 years for a male and 17 - 19 years for a female."

Pi has already lived the minimum life expectancy for a female cat, but when you mention a feeding tube and several visits to the vet, I suspect you are spending quite a bit on keeping Pi going.

ktinkel
12-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Since I don't know the facts about cats, I looked up the following:

"The average life expectancy for a neutered, well looked after cat is now 15 - 17 years for a male and 17 - 19 years for a female."

Pi has already lived the minimum life expectancy for a female cat, but when you mention a feeding tube and several visits to the vet, I suspect you are spending quite a bit on keeping Pi going.Well, it’s like this. First it seemed like a little thing, but our vet doesn’t have ultrasound so he sent us to the big vet in another town. Then Pi only seemed a bit ill, but she got worse, and we let them work on her.

It is sort of like gambling, I guess. She has never been ill before, and her heart and lungs are in very good shape. So it may all be worth it. Last time we saved an old cat — after our malamute bit through her abdomen when she was 16 — she went on to live to 20 or 21.

Franca
12-22-2007, 09:46 PM
I'd do the same as you - if Pi's always been healthy till now it could very well be something completely curable and she could be just fine like your other kitty for several more years. I'm so pleased she is continuing to do better and I do hope you'll be able to bring her home tomorrow!

Mike
12-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Poppy, Tess and Timmy send all their best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Tess says that being ill is pretty rotten so she's full of sympathy. A few weeks ago she was very poorly and wouldn't eat or get out of bed for some days. So she says that even if Pi is a cat she wishes her well and hopes she's better soon.

iamback
12-23-2007, 03:50 AM
That is our cat Pi who has been in the hospital all week, so I figured I would make her famous to see if it helped her recover.

Must be working; the vet called this morning and said she had begun to eat a little, was walking around, and otherwise showing signs of improvement. Yesterday, she followed us with her eyes, but otherwise just lay there. So this is welcome news. We will go visit her in an hour or so.

She is 17, and until now, always healthy.Aaww. :(

I had just been thinking about your latest avatar, and that after trying a whole number of them this "sun" image had been very stable - and next I loaded a page, suddenly here was Pi... yes, I recognized her!

I hope she will fully recover, but 17 is pretty old, isn't it?

dthomsen8
12-23-2007, 05:46 AM
I hope she will fully recover, but 17 is pretty old, isn't it?

My Google results indicate that 17 to 19 is a reasonable life expectancy for a well cared for female cat. Some cats live a lot longer than that, though.

ktinkel
12-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Poppy, Tess and Timmy send all their best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Tess says that being ill is pretty rotten so she's full of sympathy. A few weeks ago she was very poorly and wouldn't eat or get out of bed for some days. So she says that even if Pi is a cat she wishes her well and hopes she's better soon.Thank you, Tess — you are obviously a big-hearted dog!

Pi has pancreatitis. She couldn’t keep food or water down. She became dehydrated, then her kidneys and liver developed problems. The most serious problem was that one of her bile ducts became clogged. The treatment is to use IV medicine to open that up, and it seems to be working. We shall hear this morning if we can bring her home, but she will be on a feeding tube for weeks. And she will have to be kept quiet somehow. She is a cat who likes to do what she wants, so that will be interesting.

ktinkel
12-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Aaww. :(

I had just been thinking about your latest avatar, and that after trying a whole number of them this "sun" image had been very stable - and next I loaded a page, suddenly here was Pi... yes, I recognized her!

I hope she will fully recover, but 17 is pretty old, isn't it?She is, but our last female cat, who had a crisis at 16, lived to 20 or 21.

Our more idiotic malamute bit her through the abdomen; the dog was so shocked that she instantly let go, so it was a clean wound, but still the cat needed surgery and care. Before that, the vet said she seemed to be aging and might not be around too long, but after the trauma she bloomed. Had been a sort of touch-me-not cat; became affectionate, which may have been because we had to handle her a lot whether she liked it or not, to flush her incision and give her oral antibiotics. (Later the vet said her longevity might have been due to the steroids he gave her in her treatment!)

So we are optimists in these matters, though it may be foolish. In all our years together (45 years now), Jack and I have never been without at least one cat.

I will get back to the sun or something else typographic later — but for now Pi has been on my mind.

Franca
12-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm sorry Tess was feeling poorly, Mike - but she it sounds as though she is feeling much better now? We could all use some of Tess's zest for life. As I recall the original prognosis was dire and yet here she still is!

Franca
12-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I know nothing about pancreatitis except that it's Not a Good Thing. Keeping cats quiet is always tricky ... they do choose to nap and laze about quite a bit of the time, but when they choose not to be quiet there's not much one can do about it! On the other hand, cats do a pretty good job of getting themselves well if the ailment is curable and the vet can get them going in the right direction. Thinking good thoughts for Pi.

ktinkel
12-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I know nothing about pancreatitis except that it's Not a Good Thing. True enough. And our last experience with it was when our wonderful old Mal had symptoms of it, and it turned out to be galloping pancreatic cancer. However, Pi just has the garden variety, and continues to respond to medication. Looks as if she won’t be home for another day or two, though — they need to wean her off the IV meds.

Keeping cats quiet is always tricky ... they do choose to nap and laze about quite a bit of the time, but when they choose not to be quiet there's not much one can do about it!Indeed. If she needs to be kept quiet, I am afraid she will have to spend a lot of time in a crate. We’ll see how it goes.

On the other hand, cats do a pretty good job of getting themselves well if the ailment is curable and the vet can get them going in the right direction. Thinking good thoughts for Pi.Hope so. And thanks for the good thoughts.

Mike
12-24-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm sorry Tess was feeling poorly, Mike - but she it sounds as though she is feeling much better now? We could all use some of Tess's zest for life. As I recall the original prognosis was dire and yet here she still is!

She'd picked up some sort of infection so a course of antibiotics, acupuncture and some additional anti-cancer drugs seem to have done the trick.

djb
12-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Pi has pancreatitis. She couldn’t keep food or water down. She became dehydrated, then her kidneys and liver developed problems. The most serious problem was that one of her bile ducts became clogged. The treatment is to use IV medicine to open that up, and it seems to be working. We shall hear this morning if we can bring her home, but she will be on a feeding tube for weeks. And she will have to be kept quiet somehow. She is a cat who likes to do what she wants, so that will be interesting.

Best wishes for Pi. Unfortunately, kidney problems are almost inevitable in cats. Spooky, our Siamese cross, is drinking a lot more water lately, but her blood work is still okay. She's 15-ish.

I can't imagine having to keep her quiet. I hope that goes well for you and Jack.

dthomsen8
12-31-2007, 12:23 PM
If she needs to be kept quiet, I am afraid she will have to spend a lot of time in a crate. We’ll see how it goes.

You might keep her from running around in a crate, but I have my doubts about quiet.

ktinkel
12-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Best wishes for Pi. Unfortunately, kidney problems are almost inevitable in cats. Spooky, our Siamese cross, is drinking a lot more water lately, but her blood work is still okay. She's 15-ish.We have lost two other cats to kidney problems. And now, I should say, Pi is the third. We had to have her euthanized last week.

I have been meaning to post a note about it, and will try to later.

Cristen Gillespie
01-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Oh Kathleen! I'm so sorry about Pi. That hurts.

ktinkel
01-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh Kathleen! I'm so sorry about Pi. That hurts.Thank you. It sure does.

I updated our cats page (http://broadlyspeaking.com/drafts/personal/cats.html) on my old web site if you or anyone wants to see pictures.

Franca
01-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh ... I'm so sorry to hear that Kathleen. I was hoping for good news. The house must feel pretty empty right now. :(

Mike
01-02-2008, 01:15 AM
So sorry to hear the sad news.

The house must suddenly seem very empty. Are you planning on acquiring another housemate soon?

Cristen Gillespie
01-02-2008, 08:34 AM
It's a wonderful page. Pets are such an important nuisance in our lives. I wonder what the next great personality will be to join your household.

LoisWakeman
01-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Aww - I can imagine how you must feel. A Pi-shaped hole in your word, for sure. Wishes from across the pond for tearful memories to become happy ones.

ktinkel
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
It's a wonderful page. Pets are such an important nuisance in our lives. I wonder what the next great personality will be to join your household.Me, too. We no longer live in a tourist town — Ernie and Pi were probably summer pets, thrown out when their owners went back home in the fall. (There was a school parking lot with a copse of trees next to our house.)

But I have no doubt that we will find some critter, or it will find us.

ktinkel
01-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh ... I'm so sorry to hear that Kathleen. I was hoping for good news. The house must feel pretty empty right now. :(It does. Odd how such a small, basically anti-social cat, can leave such a large mark!

ktinkel
01-02-2008, 10:42 AM
So sorry to hear the sad news.

The house must suddenly seem very empty. Are you planning on acquiring another housemate soon?Not sure planning is quite the right word, but we are certainly thinking about it.

We have had a couple of Manx cats, and Jack would like to find another. So far, none of the vets we know know of any. But we have that in mind, anyway.

Susie
01-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Kathleen - So sorry! Losing an animal is so heartbreaking - to lose one during the holiday season must compound the loss. I'm so sorry. I hope you will find a little solace with your other cats.

ktinkel
01-03-2008, 05:15 AM
Kathleen - So sorry! Losing an animal is so heartbreaking - to lose one during the holiday season must compound the loss. I'm so sorry. I hope you will find a little solace with your other cats.Thank you. Unfortunately, we now have no cats (or dogs) at all — for the first time in 44 years!

But I imagine we will find a solution for that.

ElyseC
01-03-2008, 08:09 PM
So very sorry to hear about Pi, KT. I could swear I remember when she arrived in your household and you announcing her name in the forum.

ktinkel
01-04-2008, 08:06 AM
So very sorry to hear about Pi, KT. I could swear I remember when she arrived in your household and you announcing her name in the forum.I imagine so.

I don’t suppose you can recall roughly when that was? We have a conflict about her age; the vet said she was 17, and we accepted that (though I have no idea on what it was based). I have one note that says she came to us in 1993; 17 would have meant 1991, the same year we got Ernie.

Anyway, don’t really suppose you do, and it isn’t earth-shatteringly important, but if you remember . . .

iamback
01-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Kathleen,

I'm very sorry to hear your Pi had to depart to find another of her lives elsewhere. Personalities cannot be replaced but I do hope another critter will soon find and adopt you!

ktinkel
01-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Kathleen,

I'm very sorry to hear your Pi had to depart to find another of her lives elsewhere. Personalities cannot be replaced but I do hope another critter will soon find and adopt you!Thanks. And I hope so too!

ElyseC
01-05-2008, 11:57 AM
I imagine so.

I don’t suppose you can recall roughly when that was? We have a conflict about her age; the vet said she was 17, and we accepted that (though I have no idea on what it was based). I have one note that says she came to us in 1993; 17 would have meant 1991, the same year we got Ernie.

Anyway, don’t really suppose you do, and it isn’t earth-shatteringly important, but if you remember . . .I don't really know and have just had TextWrangler search all my MacNav archives, but those messages must not have been saved. 1991 feels too early, but 1993 feels right and I seem to recall you talking about Ernie's reactions to the addition of Pi to his world he'd been ruling for a while.

ktinkel
01-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't really know and have just had TextWrangler search all my MacNav archives, but those messages must not have been saved. 1991 feels too early, but 1993 feels right and I seem to recall you talking about Ernie's reactions to the addition of Pi to his world he'd been ruling for a while.Thanks. Ernie was definitely here when Pi came, and we got him in the fall of 1991 (the dogs found him in the autumn leaves).

Pi wasn’t much later; could have 1992 or 1993. May never know.

terrie
01-12-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear about Pi...

Terrie

ktinkel
01-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear about Pi...Thanks, Terrie. I just said to Jack that I missed her — keep looking to see if she has done some mischief, or has shed fur on my pillow, or something. Oh, well.

terrie
01-14-2008, 02:12 PM
kt: I just said to Jack that I missed her — keep looking to see if she has done some mischief, or has shed fur on my pillow, or something. Oh, well.Takes a while to stop doing that...Isis has been gone since 1999 and I still sometimes catch myself looking for her...

Terrie

JVegVT
01-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Very belated sympathy on the loss of Pi. I haven't been here for about 6 weeks due to getting very far behind during the holiday season. I'm still not caught up but I'm getting there.

I'm sorry she had a hard way out. At least you tried to save her and it sounds as if she did have some improvement.

Our dog and two cats are all quite old now (dog is 14, cats are 17+ and 14 or 15) and I know time is catching up with them. I dread the day when they'll leave us.

I actually shed some tears reading about Pi. I can only imagine how bad you must feel.
--Judy M.

ktinkel
01-20-2008, 05:35 AM
I can only imagine how bad you must feel.Thanks. Our response is complicated by the fact that we have no animals at all now, for the first time since 1963. Feels strange.

After a week or so, I realized I could leave the door to my office open — no cat to go mess with my mess. For now.

Sounds like you had good holidays!

JVegVT
01-20-2008, 09:14 PM
We've been without animals for brief periods since we got married in 1965, but have had at least one dog and cat since 1979. We've pretty much decided that after 14-year-old dog Cady leaves us, we won't get another dog. A dog is too confining. We don't live near people we'd feel comfortable about asking to look after the dog and you can't make an overnight trip unless you have a caretaker for the dog.

The dog's not the only thing keeping us home, though. Our 17-year-old Tandy gets a heart pill twice a day and *nobody* else could get a pill into her. And my 89-year-old mother is increasingly forgetful and while she's successfully living alone, we're 400 feet away and she *needs* to have us nearby. Crises constantly arise, like her TV remote not working or her satellite TV going out. We don't know if her memory loss is normal for an 89-year-old. She's going to the Memory Center at the teaching hospital on Tuesday for an evaluation.

At some point we may decide to move to some sort of elder community so we won't be at risk if we can't drive or maintain the property. A dog would complicate that.

Cats, though, we plan to have as long as we're able to. Our two old cats are wonderful companions and provide as much unconditional love as a dog. When you get a new animal when you're old, though, you need to consider who will take the animal if you drop dead (to put it bluntly). I'm 65, my husband is 70. We can't be sure we'd outlive a pet, though I certainly hope we're good for another 20 years or so.

>> Sounds like you had good holidays! >>

Yes indeed! Seeing our children and grandchildren is a rare treat, especially since we can no longer travel. I had to do more cooking than I like to do (I'm not really an enthusiastic cook) and I had to make Christmas cookies, a job I loathe. I've decided I'll never roll out another cookie. That's the part I hate most. I'll just make little balls and smash them thin with the bottom of a glass.

I was particularly busy with our Christmas newsletter for family and close friends, including photos of grandchildren, Bill, my mother. I do family directories every year for all our children, mother, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, first cousins, others who've asked to be listed. I have five different editions and update everything yearly. It's a LOT of work but the people love them and it does keep the family in touch.

I was also very busy with beta testing my Linux distribution, which went Gold right before Christmas. I couldn't install the final version until several days after Christmas.

I got so far behind with e-mail and forums that I'm catching up just now.

I'm so sorry your holidays were marred by Pi's passing. I hope you did find some joy amidst the pain of loss.
--Judy M.

annc
01-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Our dog and two cats are all quite old now (dog is 14, cats are 17+ and 14 or 15) and I know time is catching up with them. I dread the day when they'll leave us.I know how you feel. My dog is 17 and my horses are 28 and 30. I stopped breeding horses in the early eighties because I added their probable years to my age then and decided that it wouldn't be fair to ask a non-horsey family to look after horses after I died.

But I will get another dog when Caddie goes, which will probably be in the next few months, as she has a thyroid tumour that's growing quite quickly and will start to affect her oesophagus and airways soon.

JVegVT
01-23-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your Caddie. It must be hard to watch her, knowing you'll have to make a decision someday soon.

She's a fairly good-sized dog, isn't she? 17 is phenomenally old for anything but a small dog. I'm sure she's had wonderful care as long as you've had her.
--Judy M.

annc
01-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your Caddie. It must be hard to watch her, knowing you'll have to make a decision someday soon.

She's a fairly good-sized dog, isn't she? 17 is phenomenally old for anything but a small dog. I'm sure she's had wonderful care as long as you've had her.Thanks, Judy. She's a cattle dog – a medium sized dog. And the breed is still basically a working dog, so they don't have the problems of breeds that have been bred for show for many generations.

Yes, it's tough, but as long as she's enthusiastic and can eat and breathe comfortably, I'll hold off. She doesn't seem to have much pain, but with tough working dogs you can't always be sure how much they're suffering.

curveto
01-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Is Pi the same cat that I keep seeing with its tail hanging out from under the tablecloth?

Inquiring minds need to know,
JR

ktinkel
01-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Is Pi the same cat that I keep seeing with its tail hanging out from under the tablecloth?

Inquiring minds need to know,No, if only because we don’t use a tablecloth.

Mostly one saw her from the rear, because she usually left if a person approached wherever she was.

George
01-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Kathleen,

I don't relate well to cats, but I am sorry to hear that you lost your old dear friend.

George

ktinkel
01-30-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't relate well to cats, but I am sorry to hear that you lost your old dear friend.Thanks, George.