PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Cell developments.

Richard Waller
12-09-2007, 01:16 AM
The latest must-have phones seem to all combine: Filofax, TV, Cinema, text, internet, computer, video camera, photgraph album. I haven't seen one with Satnav but I am sure it is out there too.

But when my wife has a flat tyre in the pouring rain she is in a poor reception area to ring the AA on her plain ordinary cooking handset. Despite being in a busy town area, and with seven different mobile companies putting up aerials at every street corner.

Can't the seven companies get together and provide plain ordinary speech phone coverage, on a handset that my wife can slip in her pocket.

curveto
12-11-2007, 02:18 PM
You're just supposed to press the OnStar button, aren't you?

(smashing the car into a tree works too)

Howard Allen
12-11-2007, 06:22 PM
I feel your (and your wife's) pain. A couple years ago I heard or saw a piece on the news about an Israeli company that was going to produce a "kosher" cell phone for orthodox Jews. It would be plain black, have an on/off switch, a keypad with large, clearly numbered keys and it would send and receive voice calls only. Full stop.

When I heard this, I shouted "YES! I want one!" It's the cell phone I've always dreamed of, and I'm not even Jewish! Trouble is, I'd probably have to become a Jew and move to Israel to get one.

Apparently the reason (I learned from a pundit on the radio) such a phone isn't available to "the rest of us" is because the phone companies make almost no money on air time anymore, and they only profit from selling "add-on" features. Therefore, they'll never sell a voice-only phone that works everywhere.

Kelvyn
12-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Can't the seven companies get together and provide plain ordinary speech phone coverage, on a handset that my wife can slip in her pocket.
You need a Basic Mobile (http://www.basicmobile.co.uk/).

Howard Allen
12-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Looks great. Too bad the only cell phone provider listed on that webpage that operates in Canada (Virgin) doesn't sell them here. Unfortunately, here in North America, we can't buy a phone and use it with any service provider, like you can across the pond. We're stuck with whatever few models the service provider chooses to give you: like it or lump it. And there's no way they're going to sell you a phone that only has voice capability.

Steve Rindsberg
12-12-2007, 06:36 PM
This is supposed to be the answer if "nice and simple" is the question:

http://www.jitterbug.com/

Richard Waller
12-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Actually my complaint is the inefficient use of phone masts and the frequent black-spots. If people want to buy the latest Iphone they are quite welcome. Other people do tend to buy the latest toys, particularly at Christmas.

dthomsen8
12-14-2007, 06:33 AM
A long time ago I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal about a popular phone in Europe which was larger than the usual ones. It said that it was particularly popular with the elderly, who didn't want more than to be able to make and receive calls.

Our cell phone has more capabilities than we need, but we keep this 5 year old phone because upgrading will cost us about $10 more a month, plus requiring a new contract. We are "grandfathered" in an old contract at a lower rate, and I want to stay with it.

ktinkel
12-14-2007, 08:27 AM
A long time ago I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal about a popular phone in Europe which was larger than the usual ones. It said that it was particularly popular with the elderly, who didn't want more than to be able to make and receive calls.

Our cell phone has more capabilities than we need, but we keep this 5 year old phone because upgrading will cost us about $10 more a month, plus requiring a new contract. We are "grandfathered" in an old contract at a lower rate, and I want to stay with it.Jack had one of those deals, but this year that told him he had to switch to a current arrangement and get a new phone, so he canceled.

I have seen ads for a very simple phone, with a funny name that I can’t remember. You sign up with the seller and pay either $10 or $15 a month, depending on plan. The phone is fairly large by today’s standards, and has no camera or other extra features. And I have no idea about its range.

Richard Waller
12-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I asked the shop for the simplest cell phone and they sold me a Sony Erricson T290i but it still has too many options. About £30 including a lot of pre-paid calls. Interestingly they asked me for all my personal details - name address, age, sex (yes please).

dthomsen8
12-14-2007, 11:33 AM

I have seen ads for a very simple phone, with a funny name that I can’t remember. You sign up with the seller and pay either $10 or $15 a month, depending on plan. The phone is fairly large by today’s standards, and has no camera or other extra features. And I have no idea about its range.

That sounds just like Jitterbug, which has already been mentioned. I read part of their web site, and I think I should consider switching.

KT, what did Jack have to pay, and how long a contract for it? I suspect not cheap.

ktinkel
12-14-2007, 12:45 PM
That sounds just like Jitterbug, which has already been mentioned. I read part of their web site, and I think I should consider switching.

KT, what did Jack have to pay, and how long a contract for it? I suspect not cheap.Yes, Jitterbug.

The plan he had dated back to 2001, and cost him $11/month. I believe he signed a one-year contract when he started, then just kept paying the bill. They raised the rate to $12 at some point, kept trying to get him to upgrade, and when they finally said he could not continue with that plan (or maybe with that phone!), he just cancelled. That was earlier this year.

Susie
12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Yes, Jitterbug.

when they finally said he could not continue with that plan (or maybe with that phone!), he just cancelled. That was earlier this year.

That's a fast way to lose customers. It seems like pretty poor business practice to me.:mad:

ktinkel
12-14-2007, 06:10 PM
That's a fast way to lose customers. It seems like pretty poor business practice to me.:mad:Oh, yeah. But Jack was ready to be lost — he never remembered to take the phone, and it was always out of charge.

We are just not ready for the new world, it seems.

I would buy a cell phone if I liked them better. Most are icky. The Apple phone is cool, but not too useful. So we are blissfully without. For now.