PDA

View Full Version : New member

Clark
03-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

I remember lurking the DTP forum on Compuserve years ago but never got around to joining. However, since seeing the posting on the move from Compuserve in the FrameMaker forum over at Adobe I've been lurking here <g>.

After seeing all of you horsey and doggie members, I felt it was time to sign up since I do desktop publishing as part of my technical writing duties, have horses, dogs and a cat.

Although I will be lurking here frequently, don't expect to hear from me very often. I'm just not that verbose.

Clark

Franca
03-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Welcome, Clark! I do hope you speak up now and again. We veer off into equine, feline, and canine discussions frequently in the Corner Pub. As well as food, wine, beer, tea and all sorts of other interesting topics ... can you tell I'm hungry at the moment?

This is not to take away from our primary purpose, of course, as described at the top of every page. :) But hey - the more we find we have in common with each other, the more helpful we are inclined to be, so pretty much anything goes here down 't Pub.

Now tell me about your horses, please!!! And the dogs and the cat, too, as I have all of the above as well. Just one horse, but two each of the dogs and cats.

annc
03-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi all,

I remember lurking the DTP forum on Compuserve years ago but never got around to joining. However, since seeing the posting on the move from Compuserve in the FrameMaker forum over at Adobe I've been lurking here <g>.

After seeing all of you horsey and doggie members, I felt it was time to sign up since I do desktop publishing as part of my technical writing duties, have horses, dogs and a cat.

Although I will be lurking here frequently, don't expect to hear from me very often. I'm just not that verbose.

ClarkHey, welcome, Clark.

Even if you don't want to participate in the business threads, feel free to join in the horse, dog and cat topics.

What breeds of horses and dogs do you have?

Clark
03-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Hi Franca and annc,

Thanks for the welcome. I really did join to take advantage of the DTP resources found here and, if I feel I can contribute, I will respond once in a while <g>

As to animals:

Horses.

We have three. A 20 yr old 16h quarter mare. I don't get to ride her at all due to feet problems (hers, not mine). My wife can ride her a couple of times a month after we butte her up.

A 15 yr old 16.1h geld Tennessee Walker. This is my wife's ride. I've only gotten to ride him a couple of times.

A 10 yr old 16h Walkaloosa mare (Walkaloosa is a cross between a Tennessee Walker and an Appaloosa). This is my horse but, reliantly, we have her for sale. She is a very spirited horse that needs to be ridden several times a week to keep her calmed down. I don't have that time available.

Dogs:

We have three of those also, all are Australian Shepard (apologies annc, the Aussie Shepard seem to be an American breed). Two females and one male. All are "fixed" so we are not into breeding. All are also rescues.

Cat:

One cat - indoors only. She was my mother's cat that I inherited a couple of years ago when my mother passed away.

There you have my animals. Now a bit about me.

My wife and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this fall.

I will celebrate my 25 years with the same company this Friday. In those years I have taught myself how to technical write, do desktop publishing and basic 2d illustrations. I started with Aldus Pagemaker and Windows run-time and now use a combination of the Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe FrameMaker, the Microsoft Office suite and, for good measure, Corel Draw.

BTW, I was off for Good Friday and leave work around 4pm (Pacific) so I didn't see your responses to my posting until this a.m.

Franca
03-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Congratulations on both of your 25-year anniversaries, Clark! I have a little ways to go yet before any 25th anniversaries, but you did get me thinking ... I hadn't counted up lately and didn't realize that I'm in my 19th year in this job. How time does fly....

annc
03-28-2005, 12:39 PM
That's quite a menagerie there, Clark. I'm only in my 16th year in my job, but both my horses are over 25. Does that count? I bred one of them.

My Australian cattle dog (blue heeler) is 14 and has yet to 'grow up'. I hope she never does, because her enthusiasm and joie de vivre are the source of much joy for me.

The Australian Shepherd puzzled me when I first heard of it, but then I just put it down to Americans being Americans. <g>

No cats. Not because I don't like them, but because the climate prohibits keeping them inside all the time, and if let out, they devastate the wildlife here.

It's great to see you.