PDA

View Full Version : Apple’s Leopard presentation

ktinkel
10-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Just in case you are interested, Apple has a sort of movie/presentation to show off the new features (300+, they say) in Leopard.

I just watched it. Many of the features strike me as more entertaining than valuable, but some of the enhancements to the Finder look really useful.

Anyway, if you have a few minutes, take a look at the Leopard Guided Tour (http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/large.html). That takes you to the Large format (about 8 X 5 inches on my screen). You can click on Small or Medium instead if you prefer.

grEEnLighter
10-23-2007, 10:55 PM
I saw it and better on the end of this month we will be upgraded with new MAC`s with this OS on it.
I find verry interesting that large preview thumbnails, and that itunes browse like (Quick Look), i do not know if that will work with PSD, AI, EPS, INDD files. They should, but you never know.
Stack was just needed, i will use this feature for temporary files that now are on the descktop.
On spaces.... i do not know what to say. The design is not quite as in mac style. I have seen "spaces" on an linux based PC, it is a 3D cube and on each side you have desktops much better design.
Time machine... never had a need for such an feature, i`m quite organized, an where did they came up with "delete by accident" as long as you need to drag and drop or apple+backspace to delete a file. How much can you do wrong.
The spotlight.... i can not say that the spotlight on previous versions was bad. I always worked on the server and searched the documets on the network, and the network has some limits as well as the server. When you query the same server with multiple requests from 10-20 users at the time and on the same HDD eventualy (copy from it, copy to it, search on it,etc) it is normal for him to delay the response and i can not see how spotlight can improve that.
I think that the many features are in bling bling stuff applyed to the old features and few of them are new ones. Like in finder... on the right you have most visited places, c`mon if i need a place to be I KNOW HOW TO MAKE A SHORTCUT i do not need an OS to see how often did i go there and place a shortcut for me.

Of course the above came from an old mac user. I think this presentation is more marketing than functionality. A WIN user will be atracted by this presentation, and he will say how cool. A mac user will see just 2-3 new features and a lot of bling

I will work on it and discover all this new features, and see how much they will or will not help me do do my job.

ktinkel
10-24-2007, 07:32 AM
A mac user will see just 2-3 new features and a lot of bling.Sounds about right to me. I am already feeling dubious about the new look, and wonder if the new features will be all that useful. (I often neglect to use — or even find — new features with an upgrade. I never did work through all the “treasures” in System 7, which was introduced with an amazing amount of ballyhoo.)

It will be good if they fix the search function (Spotlight); it doesn’t work right most of the time, and I find myself yearning for good old Sherlock (OS 9). The new feature in Leopard that gives full paths for files will be useful too.

But the rest of it? Like you, guess I will wait and see.

dthomsen8
10-24-2007, 09:07 AM
For the benefit of those Windows users who don't know (and I didn't), Leopard is Mac OS X.

It has nothing to do with the Leopards of Lafayette College's various sports teams.

GO LEOPARDS!

grEEnLighter
10-24-2007, 11:41 AM
It will be good if they fix the search function (Spotlight); it doesn’t work right most of the time, and I find myself yearning for good old Sherlock (OS 9)

Thats exactly why i keep all my files well organized.
I have 2 volumes one is for OS and ongoing projects and one for archive and "useful stuff" such as img database, packages from indd. I always make sure that the name of the project is the same as the folder. Fr example if i work on an 19 issue of the MG catalog i make sure that the folder will be named 19 MG Cata Regular. I Always at the end of the day or the dtp session i recollect the entire document on my hdd, thats because sometimes i need to change the color of some products, to put another image on an TV screen. Also there is a rule that you modify something you either save it as PSD WITH LAYERS (to be reverted if needed) or save it with different name.
If you do some rules and you stick to them no matter what it should not be to hard to keep the files well organized. An then you do not need the spotlight... or stuff on your local machine. On the server is a different story.
I have a quite "bad" experience with organizing files on the server. I was working for a daily newspaper 32 pages tabloid, a lot of text, images, adv listings etc. Now some editors did not have the common sense to put the data on the right folder. Like the article was for today, lets say 29-10-2007. He/She is saving the article on a different way that was supposed to. At 10-11 PM i called him to ask him where the article is. The answer was: "ON THE SERVER". At 11.30 the PDF`s where supposed to be in the press. You can imagine then what a Sherlock Agatha Colombo i was. And this story was repeating day after day after day. Also the rules for saving the data where printed on an 50x70 sheet with 100 pt RED font hanged on the walls. The result?? ZERO, NULL, NADA, NOTHING.
The basic idea of all above is that if you do not have a well organized document workflow you will spend more time for searching the files than actually working on the project. If you work alone the organizing files system is up to you in a most simple and easy way that you can understand. If you work in a team you must set up a set of rules and then follow them strictly, with no exceptions.
This is my philosophy on organizing the documents, and why not the entire life.

iamback
10-24-2007, 12:34 PM
A WIN user will be atracted by this presentation, and he will say how cool. A mac user will see just 2-3 new features and a lot of blingFrom your description, this Windows user would shudder since she doesn't like bling anyway: an OS is a tool for me, not something to look at. I'm interested in functionality and usability, not fancy graphics. Win XP is "Fischer Price" (I don't use it); I'm using Win2000 and I'm not even using the "Internet Explorer" look in that because it hides too much from me. ;) I fear having to go to Vista and having to move even more (lots more!) bling out of the way to get a usable system!

ktinkel
10-24-2007, 01:27 PM
From your description, this Windows user would shudder since she doesn't like bling anyway: an OS is a tool for me, not something to look at. I'm interested in functionality and usability, not fancy graphics. Win XP is "Fischer Price" (I don't use it); I'm using Win2000 and I'm not even using the "Internet Explorer" look in that because it hides too much from me. ;) I fear having to go to Vista and having to move even more (lots more!) bling out of the way to get a usable system!I think plenty of Mac users would agree with you.

The Apple “look” I most admire is Safari’s — almost no extraneous stuff at all. Sure hope they aren’t wrecking that in Leopard!

Howard Allen
10-24-2007, 05:07 PM
I watched that presentation the other day, and had mixed feelings. I'm looking forward to the automatic backup feature (whose name escapes me). I've lately fallen into a bad backup habit (manually copying my important files to an external drive on an occasional basis; I know, I know!) I got sick and tired of sending $100 to Dantz everytime Apple made a 10.x OS update and broke Retrospect, so an OS-friendly backup scheme should brighten my outlook. I'd better get shopping for a bigger hard-drive, though!

Some of the other stuff that the presentation dwelt upon seemed just plain goofy, like the "background sharing" feature in the new version of iChat (which I've never used anyway): why on earth would anybody want to share the background picture I use on my desktop? Why would I want to share someone else's? Most of the other features seem to be window-dressing (pun not intended), or neutral at best.

ktinkel
10-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Some of the other stuff that the presentation dwelt upon seemed just plain goofy, like the "background sharing" feature in the new version of iChat (which I've never used anyway): why on earth would anybody want to share the background picture I use on my desktop? Why would I want to share someone else's? Most of the other features seem to be window-dressing (pun not intended), or neutral at best.I know — seems very silly. I guess it would enable you to have a video chat without revealing the state of your office. That’s about it.