PDA

View Full Version : Snowball can BOOGIE!

ElyseC
10-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Dave deBronkart just sent me to go see Snowball the Cockatoo:

May I Have This Dance? (http://birdloversonly.blogspot.com/2007/09/may-i-have-this-dance.html)

terrie
10-22-2007, 10:17 AM
That is just fabulous!!!

Terrie

annc
10-25-2007, 02:16 AM
Dave deBronkart just sent me to go see Snowball the Cockatoo:

May I Have This Dance? (http://birdloversonly.blogspot.com/2007/09/may-i-have-this-dance.html)Are you telling me that he doesn't ever screech at dawn or sunset?

I live in sulphur crested cockatoo country and can tell you that the noise is deafening at sunrise and sunset. I love hearing them squabble and watching them do the nightly perch shuffle in the gum trees. It is so sad to see a domesticated bird...

ktinkel
10-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Are you telling me that he doesn't ever screech at dawn or sunset?

I live in sulphur crested cockatoo country and can tell you that the noise is deafening at sunrise and sunset. I love hearing them squabble and watching them do the nightly perch shuffle in the gum trees. It is so sad to see a domesticated bird...We have green monk parakeets around here, and they too make a huge racket. Their nests are huge constructions, with large collections of birds. People are ambivalent about the parakeets — for one thing, they are pretty, and very unusual for New England. But those who are near nests get pretty cranky about the noise.

The birds favor electricity transformers because of the warmth, and the power company caused a furor last year by going around, killing the birds and wrecking their nests. All of a sudden people loved the birds (probably mostly people who weren’t being awakened by them on a regular basis) and a public campaign forced United Illuminating to stop killing the birds. Now they get them to move instead (may be about the same thing — I don’t know about that).

I like the way they look, but they are large and aggressive, and when they are around, we rarely see cardinals, bluebirds, and other more charming birds. (About the only predators they fear are the occasional osprey or turkey vulture.) When the parakeets hit a bird-feeder they can strip it in an hour — voracious as well as pushy.

But that’s nature for you!

ElyseC
10-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Are you telling me that he doesn't ever screech at dawn or sunset?I'd bet he does. In fact I bet that rescue operation is one noisy place morning and night.

I live in sulphur crested cockatoo country and can tell you that the noise is deafening at sunrise and sunset. I love hearing them squabble and watching them do the nightly perch shuffle in the gum trees.For years there's been an ever growing flock of assorted parrot-family birds living in and around the cities immediately east of Pasadena, Calfornia. Residents don't like their noise and mess when they pick their neighborhood to roost for the night, but they are quite a sight. Flock started eons ago with escaped pets who apparently found each other and banded together.

The area also has peacocks roaming wild, also descended from escaped pets, I believe. (They certainly can't be an indiginous species!)

It is so sad to see a domesticated bird...I'd bet that most of the birds that group rescues were born in captivity and originally purchased by people who discovered they weren't suited to bird tending.

annc
10-25-2007, 11:58 AM
They sound like our rainbow lorikeets which are also noisy and voracious feeders. But they're protected, so even power companies couldn't kill or interfere with them in any way.

At dusk we also get the silent waves of fruit bats flying out to feed for the night. For some reason, they seem to cause terror in New Zealanders! A kiwi friend who moved here recently is planning to tell his relatives when they visit that the bats are night-feeding crows. Not sure how he will explain the silence...

annc
10-25-2007, 12:02 PM
I'd bet that most of the birds that group rescues were born in captivity and originally purchased by people who discovered they weren't suited to bird tending.No doubt. And birds live for so long, too...

Steve Rindsberg
10-25-2007, 12:03 PM
They sound like our rainbow lorikeets which are also noisy and voracious feeders. But they're protected, so even power companies couldn't kill or interfere with them in any way.

At dusk we also get the silent waves of fruit bats flying out to feed for the night. For some reason, they seem to cause terror in New Zealanders! A kiwi friend who moved here recently is planning to tell his relatives when they visit that the bats are night-feeding crows. Not sure how he will explain the silence...
They're the *stealth* versions.

annc
10-25-2007, 12:04 PM
They're the *stealth* versions.Ah! I'll suggest that to him. :)