PDA

View Full Version : Guitars

PeterArnel
01-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Does anyone else play guiitar here - I want to upgrade to a Martin or Taylor - does any one else have any idea what I am talking about
Peter

JohnC
01-28-2005, 03:09 PM
I don't play guitar. But as a keyboard player I've had to put up with guitarists. I've known a few people with Martins. I'm familiar with Taylor, but don't recall if I know any owners.

ktinkel
01-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Does anyone else play guiitar here - I want to upgrade to a Martin or Taylor - does any one else have any idea what I am talking about
My husband does.

What kind of music do you play? Jack doesn’t know about Taylors, but asks whether you are thinking only of flat-tops or either flat or arch-tops. Are you considering used (old) guitars or new ones?

PeterArnel
01-29-2005, 09:39 AM
I play around the folk clubs using a coventional accoustic guitar - would love to find an old Martin but they are just not about - so will have to get a new one . Martins and Taylors battle it out . What sort of guitar does he play?
Peter

Jonathan
01-29-2005, 09:58 AM
I play a Martin from 1941, a 000-18 like Martin Carthy's.

But I'm really more of a fiddler.

The Taylor guitar factory is in El Cajon, California, about five miles from where I live. I know several people that work there, and the fellow that started the company and later sold it to Bob Taylor et al. is a friend of mine.

Used Martin guitars can be had, although they tend to have a price:

http://elderly.com/vintage/cats/10U.html

ktinkel
01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I play around the folk clubs using a coventional accoustic guitar - would love to find an old Martin but they are just not about - so will have to get a new one . Martins and Taylors battle it out . What sort of guitar does he play?
Peter
Jack is mostly a banjo player (5-string, not tenor), and he plays a Gibson Mastertone. Dunno how old it is, but it had some age on it when I met him in 1962. He plays a Japanese 12-string guitar these days.

Not what you need. He knows something about old Martins but nothing at all about the new. Sounds as if JC or Jonathan can offer some advice though.

Steve Rindsberg
01-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Does anyone else play guiitar here - I want to upgrade to a Martin or Taylor - does any one else have any idea what I am talking about]

A few years back I'd saved up enough to buy myself a decent guitar and went off in search of Martins. The nice man at the store let me play bunches of them on condition that I also try the Taylors. A 410 took my fancy and wouldn't give it back.

It doesn't have that Martin sound -there's a sweetness to the Martin highs that nobody else seems to match, but the Taylor's got its own unique and lovely sound, IMO. And the neck is much thinner and, given my small hands/short stubby fingers, easier to play.

Haven't regretted a thing other than not having discovered and bought it years sooner.

Steve Rindsberg
01-29-2005, 01:22 PM
http://www.gruhn.com/

It might be worth a look there. They're in Nashville but if you purchase a Martin (or Gibson or anything else especially nice) I'd be happy to store it for you until you're next in the states. ;-)

They're a very reputable used instrument dealer; if you're anywhere in the area, it's worth a side trip just to go there. Racks and racks of guitars and as long as you seem well-behaved, you can pick up what you like and play.

Heaven, in other words.

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
01-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Peter

At the current time, my knockaround guitar (an Artisano I picked up in a pawn shop in Nawlins for $300 in the early 1990s) has two popped strings. My classical guitar, rosewood, made by luthier William Cumpiano, has been in its case for more than thirty days. I also possess a "presentation" guitar made in the 19th century that I will probably never again attempt to tune.

I need to raise some cash. I have a beautiful, simple, cutaway Froggy Bottom made by Mike Millard in 1979 that comes with a $5,000 appraisal (conservative estimate. 2002). HUGE sound for the size. Neck reset a few years ago. I believe I can promise a transfer of lifetime maintenance (although I would need to double check that with Mike if there is a transfer of ownership). He knows I no longer have the finger strength to do the instrument justice.

I'm going to post this before attempting to read other messages in the thread, or otherwise involve myself in this new venue.

PeterArnel
01-30-2005, 03:01 PM
THnaks for all your replies - it just goes to show what talent (not me) is out there - I have played Lakewood guitars ( made by a Luthier in Germany ) for quite awhile - I have just bought a cut away with a wider neck which plays at the top quite well (great tone ) but shreds my fingers so is being reset. The problem is that it a bit "Prissy" for the clubs (tttttttttoooooooo Posh) -I will just have to come over and look at old Martins
Peter
With out being too "nerdy" what strings do people use

John Spragens
01-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Martins haven't vanished. In fact, there seem to be quite a few in stock at the instrument store just down the street from me.
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/stuff_f.html

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
01-31-2005, 04:31 AM
With out being too "nerdy" what strings do people use[/QUOTE]

I like Savarez for my classical.

PeterArnel
01-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Sorry I meant old ones
Peter

PeterArnel
02-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok so now I am the very proud owner of a J40 (new) I really wanted and old one that looked beat up but couldnt find one :-)
Peter

Sturmella Carol Beaumont
02-04-2005, 03:29 AM
Ok so now I am the very proud owner of a J40 (new) I really wanted and old one that looked beat up but couldnt find one :-)
Peter

What is a J40?

ktinkel
02-04-2005, 05:29 AM
PeterCongratulations! I assume it sounds good (and doesn’t shred your fingers)?

PeterArnel
02-04-2005, 02:25 PM
J40 - Carol its a nerdy thing - J stands for Jumbo as D stand for Dreadnought - its the shape of the body
Peter

PeterArnel
03-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Sara Grey & Kieron Means - has Jack heard of this lady - she played with Doc Watson in Chicago - and comes to my local folk club in Swindon
Peter

PeterArnel
05-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Robin
I dont have a clue - I still think 250 two colour business card are worth £135 ( 1985 price) - I suppose it will be in the region of £150 - just get the order and tell me what u want to pay
Peter

PeterArnel
06-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Sorry Robin - we had a look but dont have it
Have agood weekend
Peter

iamback
06-16-2006, 01:22 PM
GuitarsI don't play (though I did, a little, as a teenager). But I "discovered" something yesterday. I was researching classical Persian music, and found a nice page explaining the most important instruments (http://www.navaensemble.com/navaPages/Instruments.html). (I have some of that music as well.) Reading the page, and seeing descriptions for the tar and setar it suddenly dawned on me that the word "guitar" is probably closely related: tar - setar - guitar ... definitely related instruments.

Any info on the origin of the name "guitar" anyone?