PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Connections

dthomsen8
09-20-2007, 04:31 AM
Is it possible that some web site connections will be made, and not others?

This morning I can come in here just fine, and do postings, but connections to some other sites are refused. For example, the home page of my Internet Service Provider, Comcast (http://www.comcast.net) does not connect, nor do some other web sites. Yes, I cleared the browser, tried a different browser and a different computer, same results. Curious, www.comcast.COM connects, but www.comcast.NET (with my email) does not connect.

I suspect some domain name server problem.

Kelvyn
09-20-2007, 05:49 AM
Yes, DNS lookup or router issues are pretty common.

iamback
09-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Another possibility is network problems along the route from you to there.

To test DNS (on a windows box), open a command-line window and type ping [domainname] where [domainname] is to be replaced with the full domain name (without http://) of the target site.

If it tells you the IP address, it resolves. Then try tracert [domainname] to see whether you can get there from here (where you're at).

Steve Rindsberg
09-20-2007, 07:15 AM
IIRC, the same thing works on a Mac (unix) from a terminal window, except you use traceroute instead of tracert

iamback
09-20-2007, 09:34 AM
IIRC, the same thing works on a Mac (unix) from a terminal window, except you use traceroute instead of tracertAnd the same on Linux - and other *nixes. ;)

terrie
09-20-2007, 12:36 PM
dthomsen8: Is it possible that some web site connections will be made, and not others?Oh yeah...had this happen the other day for a couple of hours with my mail.com access...basically, the site was down as I could get to pretty much any other site...

Terrie

iamback
09-20-2007, 02:20 PM
And I just had occasion to use my own recipe (see above) with the fontlab site - could not connect: ping showed it resolves, and the tracert is normal, which means either the webserver is down or it's overloaded...

iamback
09-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah...had this happen the other day for a couple of hours with my mail.com access...basically, the site was down as I could get to pretty much any other site...Not necessarily - unless you do a traceroute you can't tell whether it's that server or a node on the route between you and the server that's causing the problem.