PDA

View Full Version : HS Sports Program

Mom
09-17-2007, 07:08 PM
:rolleyes: Hello! I'm a newbie to this site. I currently use Quark Xpress 7 after many years of using MS Publisher. I'm not a "professional" however I've done many flyers, DTP projects, etc.

One of the largest projects I tackled last year was our HS Basketball program, a 52 page program w/ player profiles, schedules, ads, etc. I used MS Pub last year and nearly pulled all my hair out -- which is the reason I purchased Quark for this years'. I'm getting the hang of the new software as I start to format the program draft, which leads me up to my question...
Is there a resource to view different types of "themes" for a sports program? Either a font/formatting/theme, etc. to really spice it up and give it a special touch? And is there a clip art resource or software anyone could recommend with lots of basketball type graphics that aren't "cheap looking"?

I'm a mom of 3 boys who play basketball so I'll be doing this program for many years most likely. I'll take any advice any of you "pros" could offer!!!

thanks very much!

terrie
09-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not a Quark person but hopefully one of them will pop in and help you with your questions...

Can you tell me why you bought Quark instead of InDesign??? Just curious...

Terrie

Mom
09-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi Terrie,

I started using Quark because the printer who printed our program has an in-house DTP'er who uses Quark and he had told me that if I used this software it would make their job and mine (over MS Publisher) much easier. I guess I didn't know enough to compare InDesign, etc. to Quark, but I knew I needed a heavier duty software over MSPublisher. I hope I don't regret this decision!

It did seem, based on what I researched, like Quark would work for me in a project like this Sports program.

Although I have much to learn I seem to be getting around in Quark okay and I believe it will work well for my use. If I have questions I'm able to usually find answers through books or Googling.

The clip art I spoke of in an earlier message I had gotten primarily from MS Online when I was using Publisher last year. I could still use some of these graphics but was hoping to either purchase a reasonable software (I'm doing this project on a strictly volunteer basis so I don't want to spend too much) or find another on-line source.

Thanks for any information!

ktinkel
09-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Is there a resource to view different types of "themes" for a sports program? Either a font/formatting/theme, etc. to really spice it up and give it a special touch? And is there a clip art resource or software anyone could recommend with lots of basketball type graphics that aren't "cheap looking"? I do not know of any sample layouts for a sports program. However, if you get to see any programs in print, you can try to copy aspects of those in yours.

I would suggest, however, that less is more; do something simple and straightforward, something easy for readers to understand, and then see how it evolves. Then you will have a design that works for your team, and for you.

And ask questions here. And welcome to the forum!

Andrew B.
09-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Mom. Welcome to the forum. I wish I knew of a great source for basketball clip art. What I used to do is search with Google, which would lead me to samples from many companies. Then I would compare styles and see if I had something useful without clashing styles.

BTW, have you considered using photos from the games as accents, instead of clip art. And perhaps use only one clip art very sparingly as a unifying watermark or logo.

Mom
09-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks Andrew, for your suggestions! I certainly will think of a clip art as a "unifying watermark/logo" I love that idea! I also love the idea of using photographs! Speaking of photographs, I just got permission from a local newspaper to use a photo of our student section that was printed in their paper last season for a cover picture. Since the cover is the only color print this will be a nice touch I think with all of the school colors the kids wear to the games!

Thanks for your ideas! I love them!

MOM

terrie
09-19-2007, 03:42 PM
mom: I started using Quark because the printer who printed our program has an in-house DTP'er who uses Quark and he had told me that if I used this software it would make their job and mine (over MS Publisher) much easier.I've never used MS Pub but from what I've read, I'm sure moving to Quark will indeed make things easier for them...

>>I hope I don't regret this decision!

I'm sure you won't even with Quark's (and InDesign for that matter) steep learning curve...'-}}

>>Although I have much to learn I seem to be getting around in Quark okay

Good!

>>I could still use some of these graphics but was hoping to either purchase a reasonable software (I'm doing this project on a strictly volunteer basis so I don't want to spend too much) or find another on-line source.

It's always hard to find decent clipart that isn't too pricey...generally, my experience has been that when it's free (or very inexpensive), it's not very good/useable...'-}}

Terrie

Mom
09-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks all for your input. I love this forum. I may not be very helpful to all of you, but you have been very helpful to me!!!

I could, though, help y'all out with a Dutch Apple Pie recipe! I make some pretty mean BBQ ribs too, my kids tell me.

ktinkel
09-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Thanks all for your input. I love this forum. I may not be very helpful to all of you, but you have been very helpful to me!!!

I could, though, help y'all out with a Dutch Apple Pie recipe! I make some pretty mean BBQ ribs too, my kids tell me.Very glad you are enjoying the forum. Do stick around.

We often have discussions of food in The Corner Pub. I posted a recipe for caponata recently, in fact. The ensuing discussion meandered a bit, and we ended up also talking about ratatouille and the differences between them, but it was all interesting.

So I am sure some would very much enjoy your Dutch apple pie recipe!