PDA

View Full Version : Using TT, OT, and T1: Can I Mix 'n Match Now?

Clayton
03-18-2005, 08:59 AM
So what's the latest in font usage, now that PDF appears to be the standard output to press? When I output to PDF, can I use whatever TT, OT, and T1 fonts I want in one document? I remember 'way back in the dark ages of DTP that using a TT font and a T1 font in the same document would cause the sky to start falling.

terrie
03-18-2005, 11:40 AM
I've used all flavors with no problems...

Terrie

annc
03-18-2005, 04:40 PM
So what's the latest in font usage, now that PDF appears to be the standard output to press? When I output to PDF, can I use whatever TT, OT, and T1 fonts I want in one document? I remember 'way back in the dark ages of DTP that using a TT font and a T1 font in the same document would cause the sky to start falling.I've had no problems mixing them lately. Not only that, I actually mix OpenType, Mac Type 1 and Windows TrueType in InDesign Mac.

None of the printers I use complain, and they prefer native InDesign files rather than PDFs.

tphinney
03-23-2005, 05:47 PM
The only caveat is you don't want any name collisions between two different fonts with the same name. For example, Mac OS X comes with a bunch of TrueType dfont versions of fonts which have existed for a long time more commonly in Type 1 - with the same names.

But the format alone is a non-issue. That's been true for many many years now. I routinely use all major formats, and sometimes one of each in the same document, with no problems.

Cheers,

T

Cyranetta
03-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Is there any reason to keep both a TrueType and Type 1 version of the same font?

-rje-

ktinkel
03-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Is there any reason to keep both a TrueType and Type 1 version of the same font?It depends to some extent on the font. That is, you might want a Type 1 or OT version of a basic print font (Times [New] Roman, say) yet still prefer the Microsoft TT version for use on the web.

And sometimes an OS or an app dumps a bunch of TT fonts into your fonts collection but you really want to use the one you purchased (probably Type 1 or OT) for print work.

In any event, you may have problems if they have exactly the same name and are both open at the same time. They often have slightly different names, however.

—Kathleen

Clayton
03-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Similar fonts, yes. Same fonts, no.

For example, I use Zurich T1 in most of my publications that go to press, but Arial for all the internal memos, PowerPoint shows, and other stuff that is printed on a desktop printer or meant for screen viewing. That way, folks who use MS Office can open my docs and edit them with no problems, and without having to install T1 typefaces on their systems.

ktinkel
03-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Similar fonts, yes. Same fonts, no.

For example, I use Zurich T1 in most of my publications that go to press, but Arial for all the internal memos, PowerPoint shows, and other stuff that is printed on a desktop printer or meant for screen viewing. That way, folks who use MS Office can open my docs and edit them with no problems, and without having to install T1 typefaces on their systems.I don’t see a problem with that — I do something similar myself (though not with Arial!), and seem to be getting away with it.