PDA

View Full Version : Customizable world clocks

iamback
07-01-2007, 11:45 AM
There is a five hour plus difference for the time in London compared to New York. It's that easy.I have a world clock on my desktop - what's not easy is the names of the time zones.

ktinkel
07-01-2007, 11:50 AM
I have a world clock on my desktop - what's not easy is the names of the time zones.There is always the customizable world clock (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?cities=136,195,240,22,105,64,98,224) that someone here recommended. I keep a link to that in my toolbar so I can keep time zones straight.

(That link probably takes you to my chosen cities, but it is easy to change.)

iamback
07-01-2007, 12:01 PM
There is always the customizable world clock (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?cities=136,195,240,22,105,64,98,224) that someone here recommended. I keep a link to that in my toolbar so I can keep time zones straight. Mine is fully customizable, but like the link you provided, I enter place names, not time zone names - I'd have to look them up to enter them and look them up again to know what's what!

My time zones currently are: Fairbanks, Fresno, Boston, Fredericton, A'dam, Jogja, Pyongyang, Wellington. Which gives me a decent spread. And it shows the times 24-hour format. :D

Edit: Screenshot attached now!

ktinkel
07-01-2007, 12:31 PM
And it shows the times 24-hour format. :DSo will this one. There are almost two many tweaks to take in.

Mike
07-02-2007, 01:55 AM
For Mac owners the dashboard has a clock. It can be set to any city in its list and caan be cloned. Therefore it can be configured to display the time in any number of cities as soon as the dashboard is launched.

Quite convenient.

I tried uploading a screen shot but the upload failed both for a png and jpeg version. Is this a glitch in the new home?

iamback
07-02-2007, 05:48 AM
I tried uploading a screen shot but the upload failed both for a png and jpeg version. Is this a glitch in the new home?I had the same idea and have the same problem:hsnap325.png:
Upload of file failed.Definitely not a file format issue (you get a different error message then) or a file size one (same). Possibly incorrect or missing configuration of an upload directory to receive the files?

ktinkel
07-02-2007, 06:31 AM
I tried uploading a screen shot but the upload failed both for a png and jpeg version. Is this a glitch in the new home?Uh oh! Have to check that out.

Thanks.

ktinkel
07-02-2007, 06:56 AM
I had the same idea and have the same problem:Definitely not a file format issue (you get a different error message then) or a file size one (same). Possibly incorrect or missing configuration of an upload directory to receive the files?Inadequate permissions. Fixed now.

iamback
07-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Inadequate permissions. Fixed now.I should have thought of permissions as well...

Not fixed now, though. :( I just tried again and got the very same error message... Something else, too then?

ktinkel
07-02-2007, 09:53 AM
I should have thought of permissions as well...

Not fixed now, though. :( I just tried again and got the very same error message... Something else, too then?It may be that I need to increase permissions for some directory other than the ones for attachments. Doing a little head-scratching, and will go ask in vB forums if need be.

The error message I got earlier said File system directory is not writable. Are you still seeing that error?

iamback
07-02-2007, 10:51 AM
The error message I got earlier said �File system directory is not writable.� Are you still seeing that error?No - I got exactly the same error I quoted earlier! Here it is again:hsnap325.png:
Upload of file failed.

Can you try to log in as ordinary user and see if you can upload then?

ktinkel
07-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Can you try to log in as ordinary user and see if you can upload then?No dice. Same error.

Wonder why? The earlier error I saw referred to permissions. This one gives no hint of why. Grump.

I will check it out.

iamback
07-02-2007, 12:27 PM
No dice. Same error.

Wonder why? The earlier error I saw referred to permissions. This one gives no hint of why. Grump.That does suggest there's a difference for admins and ordinary users... (a good system wouldn't say anything about "permissions" to ordinary users,that's what gave me the idea).

ktinkel
07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
That does suggest there's a difference for admins and ordinary users... (a good system wouldn't say anything about "permissions" to ordinary users,that's what gave me the idea).Well, it said the directory is not writable, and that may not be such a clue. Further, I have checked access permissions for registered members, and see no obvious changes.

I googled on “upload of file failed” and found numerous references; the most plausible-sounding suggestion was to “define the ‘upload_tmp_dir’ in php.ini” — but while I find ‘upload_tmp_dir’ and see it has “no value,” that does not lead me ineluctably toward the solution, especially as the way we are configured, we are not supposed to need the temp_dir.

Plodding along. . .

iamback
07-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I googled on “upload of file failed” and found numerous references; the most plausible-sounding suggestion was to “define the ‘upload_tmp_dir’ in php.ini” — but while I find ‘upload_tmp_dir’ and see it has “no value,” that does not lead me ineluctably toward the solution, especially as the way we are configured, we are not supposed to need the temp_dir.That's the generic situation of file upload problems in PHP.

Try this instead: [vBulletin "Upload of file failed"] (without the [] but with the quotes. Looks like there some ideas there.

iamback
07-08-2007, 01:36 AM
Edit: Screenshot attached now!Just in case the edited version doesn't show up as "new" this reply should properly "bump" the thread. :twisted:

Barrie Greed
07-08-2007, 03:05 AM
The KDE desktop in Linux offers a World Clock which pops up as you hover over the time in the bottom right corner of the screen. This is highly configurable with hundreds of places (not time zones) to choose from as far apart as Adak, Pago Pago, New York or Aukland.

Or if you want the full picture just run the KDE World Clock on a spare desktop.

Barrie Greed

iamback
07-08-2007, 06:29 AM
The KDE desktop in Linux offers a World Clock which pops up as you hover over the time in the bottom right corner of the screen. This is highly configurable with hundreds of places (not time zones) to choose from as far apart as Adak, Pago Pago, New York or Aukland.

Or if you want the full picture just run the KDE World Clock on a spare desktop.Not bad! I especially like the desktop version.

But mine (Horas from Basta Computing) has the advantage I only need to glance at the corner of the desktop where I have parked it - no action like switching desktops or even moving the mouse necessary (unless I have hidden it with a window, which tend to avoid!). And I can set my own places/zones and name them whatever I like (I could name them after people instead of places, for instance), and put them in whatever order I like. Size of display text is also configurable, simply by growing or shrinking the window. And it can function as a time client (though I use something else for that now).