PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got Century Gothic Bold (PS)?

marlene
03-14-2005, 04:10 PM
If anyone's got a PS version of Century Gothic Bold, could you please set these two words in a drawing program (AI, FH or CorelDraw), convert to curves/paths and e-mail it me?

PLANET News

About 65 point type would be good.

I've got a TT version of Century Gothic Bold, but it does not appear to be a close match for what I'm trying to duplicate. I'm trying to determine if the original designer did something funny to the text, like stretch it out or add a stroke.

TIA,

mxh

annc
03-14-2005, 05:37 PM
If anyone's got a PS version of Century Gothic Bold, could you please set these two words in a drawing program (AI, FH or CorelDraw), convert to curves/paths and e-mail it me?

PLANET News

I've got a TT version of Century Gothic Bold, but it does not appear to be a close match for what I'm trying to duplicate. I'm trying to determine if the original designer did something funny to the text, like stretch it out or add a stroke.Sorry, I've only got the Microsoft version, which I assum is a TrueType.

Stephen Owades
03-14-2005, 05:56 PM

PLANET News

I've got a TT version of Century Gothic Bold, but it does not appear to be a close match for what I'm trying to duplicate. I'm trying to determine if the original designer did something funny to the text, like stretch it out or add a stroke.

TIA,

mxh
Century Gothic is a "metrically-equivalent" knockoff of AvantGarde, created by Monotype in TrueType format for Microsoft to include with Windows as a substitute for AvantGarde, which was one of the "PostScript 35" fonts. I've never seen it in Type 1 format, and suspect that it has never been released that way.

I've got an OpenType/TrueType version of Century Gothic Bold, and I set your words in that face and in AvantGarde DemiBold. I'm attaching a PDF with both (Century Gothic Bold above, AvantGarde DemiBold below), converted to outlines. If you don't have a drawing program that can open and edit PDFs (like recent versions of Illustrator), let me know and I'll send you an EPS via email (I don't have your email address).

ktinkel
03-14-2005, 06:07 PM

PLANET News

About 65 point type would be good.Let’s see. My fonts are in such a mess at this point that I am in despair.

But I do have the Monotype Type1 version of this font (which they licensed to Microsoft, which released it as a TT).

I made an EPS with the font converted to outlines, no fussing involved. Oh, never mind: no EPS need apply.

I will go make a high-res JPEG. BRB …

Okay, here goes.

Stephen Owades
03-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Let’s see. My fonts are in such a mess at this point that I am in despair.

But I do have the Monotype Type1 version of this font (which they licensed to Microsoft, which released it as a TT).

I made an EPS with the font converted to outlines, no fussing involved. Oh, never mind: no EPS need apply.

I will go make a high-res JPEG. BRB …

Okay, here goes.
You can use PDFs as attachments to forum messages, and modern versions of Illustrator can open and work with PDFs. I've already attached a PDF made with my OpenType/TrueType Century Gothic Bold, which looks identical to your JPEG version made from the Type 1; my PDF also includes the same text in AvantGarde DemiBold, to which Century Gothic Bold is a "metric clone." It's interesting to see the differences between the Century Gothic and AvantGarde letter-forms--most obviously, AvantGarde has a bigger loop on the "P," a lower middle stroke on the "E," and horizontal rather than perpendicular stroke endings on the "e" and the "s." But from what Marlene said in her original message, it's unlikely that either typeface will replicate what she's trying to match.

DickM
03-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Marlene,

Yup. Monotype released a Type 1 format "Value Pack" in 1992 (on 3 floppies) that included 4 weights of Century Gothic as well as all the other 35 PS TrueType equivalents, plus a few others.

marlene
03-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks to you and Kathleen. I can see from the files y'all uploaded that Century Gothic Bold is not going to do the job (glad I didn't run right out and buy it!).

Although the logo designer's "brand identity guide" tells me the logo typeface is Century Gothic Bold, I can see it's obviously been doctored up in Illustrator. The logo text is much heavier, and has also been expanded horizontally.

The PDF worked really well, since I was able to open it, copy it into my logo file, and compare the type closely.

Anyway, this gets me off the hook. I don't need to buy a font to use for two words since they won't match the logo anyway.

FWIW, I did find the font in PS format at Phil's Fonts:

http://www.philsfonts.com/showing.html?sku=AG71115403P2&start=1

Unless it's not the same font ... I didn't look that closely.

mxh

marlene
03-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Oh, never mind: no EPS need apply.

Can EPS files not be uploaded here? An EPS would have been fine for my purposes, although it's all moot now, since the font is not an exact match for the logo typeface.

mxh

marlene
03-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Dick,

Wow, I might have that font after all (although I no longer need it, since it didn't match my client's logo).

I bought some of those Monotype font packs way back when, but didn't install all the fonts, just the ones I needed at the time. Somewhere I've got all the floppies, and the lists of fonts that were on them.

I'll have to look for them, just for the heck of it.

mxh

ktinkel
03-15-2005, 07:12 AM
Century Gothic is a "metrically-equivalent" knockoff of AvantGarde, created by Monotype in TrueType format for Microsoft to include with Windows as a substitute for AvantGarde, which was one of the "PostScript 35" fonts. I've never seen it in Type 1 format, and suspect that it has never been released that way.Actually, this design has a long history. Monotype adapted its 20th Century to fit (and somewhat look) like Avant Garde. I suspect the original was designed to compete with Futura.

20th Century is a nice sans, actually. Has quite a bit of personality. But it probably wasn’t distinctive enough to compete head-on with the many sans serif faces that came out during the century.

I have what may be the last specimen book from Monotype to include its original library as it was at the dawn of the desktop typography market. It was published in 1990, using QuarkXPress, and includes fonts in PostScript Type 1 format as well as film and metal fonts. Abadi and the original Arial are also both in there.

marlene
03-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Dick,

Hmmm, I thought I replied to this, but don't see my message ...

Monotype released a Type 1 format "Value Pack" in 1992

I've got some Monotype font packs (I think one was a Value Pack, and others were smaller collections of "theme" fonts) somewhere. I'll have to see if I can dig up the diskettes and see if I have the one with Century Gothic Bold, although I don't need it any more.

mxh