PDA

View Full Version : Ta Da!!!

terrie
06-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Little did I know when I started in late December that it would take me this long to say that I think I've finished redoing my office/den--6 months!

Who knew that the tables I wanted were such a pita and a half to get?

Who knew that Office Depot is such a terrible place to do business with?

Who knew that Staples was such a pleasant company to work with even if I did need to return the table I ordered from them?

Who knew to even think about how the edge of a table is finished or should I say unfinished so that it's uncomfortable when typing at one's keyboard?

See: my new office/den (http://tlbtlb.com/tlbimages/house.html)

Terrie

ktinkel
06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
All I can say is “Whew!!” Nice job, but what a lot of work. Congratulations.

Um, do you hire out? I could use someone with your talent!

terrie
06-15-2007, 03:23 PM
kt:All I can say is “Whew!!” Nice job, but what a lot of work. Congratulations.Thanks...I forgot to mention that:

1. I totally farkled my very expensive firewire cable by not realizing it was being crimped when moving my old dining room table with my Epson 4000 to make room for the new table...

2. Blew my firewire port not only on my Epson 4000 but also my 2450 scanner by plugging in the bad cable--fortunately both devices have a usb port. Doing this finally forced me to install the USB2 card that had been sitting as floorware for about 3 months...

3. The condo complex annual dumpster diving (they provide a dumpster once a year which is really nice) produced a way-too-nice-to-leave-sitting-there printer stand that I hauled home, cleaned up, spent 3 hours moving stuff around in my den only to determine that it didn't buy me anything and then hauled back up to the dumpster...

4. Wrote a letter to the company that makes the last table I ordered (McCourt Manufacturing (http://www.mccourtmfg.com/Activity_Tables.html)) outlining a few quality control issues like someone taking 2 minutes to check the box of table legs to make sure that they aren't damaged (one of mine had damaged welds making the leg useless) and that they need to check the finishing on the table edge (it's very uncomfortable to type for any length of time as the edge isn't beveled). They promised me some sort of refund check but after touching based with them that they'd received the invoice info they requested, I've not heard back from them--going on 3 weeks now...

>>Um, do you hire out? I could use someone with your talent!

LOL!!! I'm not sure talent is involved...'-}}

Terrie

George
06-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Terrie,

That an interesting concept -- "the office is done." I've never thought of that as a possibility. Where I work on the computer, I call it a computer room. It's never done -- never, never. Today, I stumbled on a bookcase that I thought would work better in the room, so I bought it, but that will change how I hang the Remingtons (or are they Russels -- I don't know -- wild horses and buffaloes, but just what this computer needs). But no matter how many times I have finished this room, it always changes a few months later, so now I realize it is never done, but always evolving. But that's nice actually, and it keeps everything real fresh and it reminds me that I'm the one really evolving.

That was funny about the dining room. But believe me, you can have a dining room. It's a matter of determination. I speak from experience.

At any rate, the office looks like a place where work can be done. Good job.

I put a computer in the library, because I thought the different environment might change how the work flows. I still haven't used it once. Hmm-- it still might work. We'll see.

George

terrie
06-15-2007, 03:43 PM
george: That an interesting concept -- "the office is done." I've never thought of that as a possibility. LOL!!! I know exactly what you mean...'-}}

By "done" I think I meant both for the foreseeable future--2 weeks tops!--and as far as large pieces of furniture is concerned. That open wallspace shown in photo 6 has already been partially taken and I'm considering getting some sort of large bulletin board type something to hang up my test prints...

>>Today, I stumbled on a bookcase that I thought would work better in the room, so I bought it, but that will change how I hang the Remingtons (or are they Russels -- I don't know -- wild horses and buffaloes, but just what this computer needs).

LOL!!! I also need at least one additional bookcase as I couldn't unpack the last of 6 boxes of books--does one ever have enought bookcases???

>>But that's nice actually, and it keeps everything real fresh and it reminds me that I'm the one really evolving.

'-}}

>>That was funny about the dining room. But believe me, you can have a dining room. It's a matter of determination. I speak from experience.

I don't really want a dining room...what I really want is to get a very comfortable reading chair and a nice reading lamp and basically make my dining room into a library...

>>At any rate, the office looks like a place where work can be done. Good job.

Thank you very much...

Terrie

ElyseC
06-16-2007, 02:51 PM
In your dining room I see you have the mission style media cabinet I've been eyeing for a couple of years (although in walnut or whatever the dark wood option is).

It all looks great!

iamback
06-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Gosh, you guys (gals and guys) make me envious. Mostly I have dreams about how I would like to have things, but I'm having trouble just getting started. The screen and what I see through it and work on, nearly always seems to be more important that what it's sitting on and where.

Want to have ago at it, Terrie? Just getting me going woudl be a major improvement here. ;)

JVegVT
06-16-2007, 09:46 PM
The new office is great! You must really enjoy being there. I blanch to think of all the planning, time, and hard work that you went through to get to this point.

I feel I'm doing well if I can keep junk off the floor.<g>
--Judy M.

iamback
06-17-2007, 05:01 AM
I feel I'm doing well if I can keep junk off the floor.<g>Sounds like me (and i'm not always successful, but I compromise by gathering floor junk in plastic boxes ... many of which then sit on the floor. :D

terrie
06-17-2007, 03:05 PM
elysec: In your dining room I see you have the mission style media cabinet I've been eyeing for a couple of years (although in walnut or whatever the dark wood option is).I first saw this cabinet in an Ikea ad and it was under $100 but you couldn't order it online and there was no way I was going to drive to the "local" Ikea store so I went out online to see if I could find it someplace else and I found it a storehouserock.com (http://www.storehouserock.com/store/M-371.html) for $143.95--free shipping and no tax! It was very easy to put together and appears to be pretty sturdy...

There's also this one (http://www.storehouserock.com/store/MS1074.html) but it's a bit more expensive at $159.99 and according to the specs, didn't hold quite as much stuff but it's very nice looking I think...

>>It all looks great!

Thanks...

Terrie

terrie
06-17-2007, 03:08 PM
marjolein: The screen and what I see through it and work on, nearly always seems to be more important that what it's sitting on and where.LOL!!! I know exactly what you mean! It took me about 2 years after I did a bit a research on adjustable height tables to finally decide I was going to actually do this. I just couldn't stand my old desk setup anymore...

I think the trick is envisioning what you might like to have and then just deciding to take the plunge and do it...

Terrie

terrie
06-17-2007, 03:12 PM
judy: The new office is great! You must really enjoy being there.Thanks...while the actual layout hasn't changed all the much, I do find that I like my new desk...

>>I blanch to think of all the planning, time, and hard work that you went through to get to this point.

I think if I knew what a pita and a half getting these stupid adjustable height tables was going to be, I probably wouldn't have started. I'm still pissed at Office Depot for their incredibly lousy service.

>>I feel I'm doing well if I can keep junk off the floor.<g>

LOL!!! My floorware has migrated to bookcaseware and tableware and I don't guarantee that things will be as tidy as they appear in the photos...'-}}

Terrie