PDA

View Full Version : Good News, Bad News

Anne Wright
03-13-2005, 01:11 AM
In the interest of getting the bad stuff over first, mine for this weekend was that my oldest mare died yesterday. She's had some health problems for the last six months, but we did not expect her to go this quickly. We were trying to make arrangements to get her into a local vet clinic but because this is the one week of the big international horse event here in town, they had no openings. While we were trying to set up picking up medications to tide her over until Monday, she laid down and just went quietly. Valentine will be missed.

And now for the GOOD NEWS! Less than two hours ago, I looked out and our youngest mare was delivering her foal. All is well with Smoky and her colt. I named him "Kilmer" for a barn name, since I am not ready for another Val. Kilmer is big and strong and will be red - chesnut for most horse people, sorrel for Quarter Horse people.

Photos attached - and the mare has now delivered the placenta, so those who know what they are looking at don't worry.

annc
03-13-2005, 02:12 AM
In the interest of getting the bad stuff over first, mine for this weekend was that my oldest mare died yesterday. She's had some health problems for the last six months, but we did not expect her to go this quickly. We were trying to make arrangements to get her into a local vet clinic but because this is the one week of the big international horse event here in town, they had no openings. While we were trying to set up picking up medications to tide her over until Monday, she laid down and just went quietly. Valentine will be missed.

And now for the GOOD NEWS! Less than two hours ago, I looked out and our youngest mare was delivering her foal. All is well with Smoky and her colt. I named him "Kilmer" for a barn name, since I am not ready for another Val. Kilmer is big and strong and will be red - chesnut for most horse people, sorrel for Quarter Horse people.

Photos attached - and the mare has now delivered the placenta, so those who know what they are looking at don't worry.So sorry to hear about the old mare, Anne. I lost my oldest a few months ago, and still miss her dreadfully.

Great news about the new arrival, however. Rejoice!

Ann

Franca
03-13-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm so sorry about Valentine, Anne! So hard to lose an old friend even when you know the time is coming.

Kilmer is a cutie! Is that one teeny white sock on the right hind?

ktinkel
03-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Photos attached.Sorry about your bad news.

The baby, however, is charming! Congratulations.

Anne Wright
03-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks, Ann,
With Valentine, at least I did not have to make the "big decision" for her as I have had for so many of my favorite horses over the years. She was such a sweetheart that we will all miss her.
Kilmer started trying to canter and cavort before he had polished the art of standing or lying down - he will probably be a good athelete, or at least enthusiastic! Our other expetant mare is looking more likely to foal. She's three weeks overdue, so it is about time!
Anne

Anne Wright
03-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Is that one teeny white sock on the right hind?
Yep, Kilmer has a little white pastern on the right hind and a minimal star on his forehead. Wish I could figure out why my sorrel/chesnut babies that could use some flash have few marking while the dun foals that have enough color seem to have all the white feet and faces!
Here are shots of our last "color" baby - he's red dun but has four white feet and a blaze, not to mention the almost flaxen mane and tail.

Anne Wright
03-13-2005, 12:54 PM
KT, Thanks! I'm feeling much happier with life this afternoon that I was yesterday - even with almost not sleep for the last two nights!
Anne

terrie
03-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Anne...I'm so sorry to hear about Valentine...

The new colt is GORGEOUS!!!

Terrie

ElyseC
03-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Awwwww! What a cutie!

Hopefully having the little guy around will distract from the pain of losing Valentine.

Anne Wright
03-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks, Terrie. You know, I tried to write a message in the Animals Forum Grieving Section Saturday and just couldn't do it. It wasn't until I had something positive to include that I could write about it.

Kilmer is doing great - he is already tearing around full tilt.
Anne

Anne Wright
03-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Elyse, Thanks! Yes, until Kilmer was born, I was very depressed. Now I am out of that funk.

We have another foal due any minute - that one should have come first. So that will help, too.
Anne

JVegVT
03-13-2005, 06:56 PM
So sorry to hear about Valentine, Anne. I know how much it hurts to lose such a wonderful old friend.

The timing of the colt's arrival couldn't be better. He looks great. He'll bring some joy into your life at a time you really need it.
--Judy M.

marlene
03-13-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Valentine.

I hope the new little one helps to ease the pain.

He really is beautiful.

mxh

ElyseC
03-14-2005, 07:35 AM
We have another foal due any minute - that one should have come first. So that will help, too.You will post pics of that one, too, won't you? With Kilmer being so beautiful, I'm waiting with bated breath for the next gorgeous baby!

terrie
03-14-2005, 01:51 PM
>>annew: Thanks, Terrie. You know, I tried to write a message in the Animals Forum Grieving Section Saturday and just couldn't do it. It wasn't until I had something positive to include that I could write about it.

I know exactly how you feel...we lost a horse at Zo's barn week before last...he'd been ill--gone down in the field and then gone down in his stall--and Sandy (barn owner) had been looking for something like a foaling stall for him (he was a draft) and then he was getting better so that was put on the back burner...

As I got to the barn friday before last, I saw his human's car and expected to see Zack out but when I walked into the barn he was down in his stall and couldn't get up...it was just awful...I had to fight off tears as I didn't want to upset Amy (his human) any more than she probably was...they were waiting for the vet in hopes of getting him up...

I gave him some carrots which he eagerly ate and that made me feel better but rather than going and getting Zo, I left after a short time...I kept feeling as I ran some errands that I should go back but I just couldn't...

When I got home, I emailed Equine-l asking for their famous vibes for Zack and someone emailed me about an Anderson sling...I emailed Sandy to pass on this info and she emailed me back that he was gone...

It still brings me to tears just thinking about it...he was such a lovely sweet horse...

I happened to catch a couple of pics of him while I was taking pics of one of the other horses ( http://tlbtlb.com/tlbimages/jo.html ) and did some cards for Amy for Christmas so as therapy that night, I decided to create a portrait for Amy...put up a quick page with it http://tlbtlb.com/tlbimages/zack.html

>> Kilmer is doing great - he is already tearing around full tilt.

I'm so glad to hear that...

Terrie

Anne Wright
03-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Terrie, Give my condolences to Zack's owner - I know exactly how she feels.

Kilmer checked out perfectly with the vet - no health problems with that boy! Nlow to get him sold <g>

Anne

Anne Wright
03-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Elyse, Oh yes - I will post pics as soon as I can. Ziggy, the other mare, is being very slow about producing her foal. I expected here to foal first since she was bred a month earlier. But I checked on her last pregnancy - she carried a year and eight days! If she carries that long this time, I've got two MORE weeks before she'll have her baby. I don't know if I will last that long....
Anne

Anne Wright
03-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Judy, Thanks and I agree. If Kilmer had not come along so quick, I would have been in a funk for days. Now I just go out and watch him play when I am feeling blue.
Anne

Anne Wright
03-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Thank you, Marlene. It is getting a little better and Kilmer does help - he is so full of energy!
Anne

Molly/CA
03-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Quick is lucky, and you do miss them just the same. I still have to keep telling myself "if Jinni hadn't run into the tree..." at 26 nothing better could have happened.

terrie
03-16-2005, 01:19 PM
>>annew: Give my condolences to Zack's owner - I know exactly how she feels.

I will...

>>Kilmer checked out perfectly with the vet - no health problems with that boy! Nlow to get him sold <g>

YAY!!!

Terrie

ElyseC
03-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Good gravy! What's the normal gestation period?? As you can tell, I'm not a horsey person, having been a city girl all my life. <g>

terrie
03-16-2005, 02:26 PM
>>elysec: Good gravy! What's the normal gestation period?? As you can tell, I'm not a horsey person, having been a city girl all my life. <g>

335-340 days...basically...about 11 months...

Terrie

ElyseC
03-16-2005, 02:31 PM
335-340 days...basically...about 11 months...Wow. If a woman was overdue by the equivalent amount of time, they'd induce labor, but I guess with animals you don't do that.

terrie
03-16-2005, 02:38 PM
>>elysec: If a woman was overdue by the equivalent amount of time, they'd induce labor, but I guess with animals you don't do that.

No...while I've never bred Zo so I don't have much experience in equine breeding, I think that it's not all that unusual for a mare deliver "late"...

Terrie

ElyseC
03-17-2005, 08:08 AM
No...while I've never bred Zo so I don't have much experience in equine breeding, I think that it's not all that unusual for a mare deliver "late"...I guess if they need more time to "cook," they need more time to "cook." :-)

terrie
03-17-2005, 12:50 PM
>>elysec: I guess if they need more time to "cook," they need more time to "cook." :-)

LOL!!! Indeed...

Terrie

Anne Wright
03-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Our other mare had her foal tonight. While this filly is not quite as vigorous as the colt, she is doing just fine. Plus she is the color (dun or grulla) and sex I like. She may be a keeper!

I haven't decided on a name. For now, I'm calling her "Glitz" as her dam Ziggy's registered name is Milagro's Smoky Glitz. My husband wants to call her "Goldy" which could give me a good registered name: Milagro's Golden Glitz. But if she's a silver grulla like her dam, that would not fit.

annc
03-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Our other mare had her foal tonight. While this filly is not quite as vigorous as the colt, she is doing just fine. Plus she is the color (dun or grulla) and sex I like. She may be a keeper!

I haven't decided on a name. For now, I'm calling her "Glitz" as her dam Ziggy's registered name is Milagro's Smoky Glitz. My husband wants to call her "Goldy" which could give me a good registered name: Milagro's Golden Glitz. But if she's a silver grulla like her dam, that would not fit.I'm sure she'll be fine, Anne. I remember being worried about a colt that was very crooked in the legs and down on his bumpers when born, Then we had an uncharacteristically cold and wet day so I had to lock him and his mother up. Then he got diarrhoea, and I had to shove pig medicine down his neck. The legs stayed crooked for weeks afterwards, and I was worried enough to get the vet to look at him with the idea of even putting him down.

At the age of 14, he was seventh in the Quilty 100 mile ride, our equivalent of the Tevis Cup.

Ann

ElyseC
03-19-2005, 07:59 AM

I haven't decided on a name. For now, I'm calling her "Glitz" as her dam Ziggy's registered name is Milagro's Smoky Glitz. My husband wants to call her "Goldy" which could give me a good registered name: Milagro's Golden Glitz. But if she's a silver grulla like her dam, that would not fit.How about Sparkle? Milagro's Sparkling Glitz? Both gold and silver sparkle... Oh, and Shimmer might fit, too.

In any case, what a pretty little thing she is! Congratulations!

Anne Wright
03-19-2005, 08:23 AM
Ann, I am not at all worried about this filly having any problem. We've had problem foals. One of Ziggy's great-great-aunts was born with severely contracted tendons and could not stand. We had to bottle feed her for several days and get check ligament surgery on her at two weeks. She made it to a healthy mare that we sold.
The mare that foaled last week was the only foal I ever helped deliver. Her dam had trouble standing and when Smoky was halfway out wanted to stand - she would have crushed the baby when she rocked to get up. In addition, Smoky was in great distress, there was a placental infection and Smoky had contracted tendons.
Once Smoky was out, she couldn't stand, but refused a bottle. So we had to help her stand enough to nurse, then had to put braces on her legs for several months.
As you can see from the other set of foaling pictures, Smoky has matured into a lovely eight year old mare with good legs.
Glitz (or maybe Goldy) only suffers in comparison to Kilmer. Kilmer has been an exceptionally vigorous foal from the first minutes, so that is an unfair comparison. Glitz is plenty healthy, getting around good and doing just fine.
And since dun is my favorite color, AND she's a girl, I may keep her to replace Valentine in my breeding program. She has every bloodline I ever wanted to incorporate in my breeding program - all in one nicely colored package. I just hope she grows up as pretty as her dam!
Anne

Franca
03-19-2005, 10:46 AM
What a sweet, tired little face! Can't help it - I love the fillies, too. :-) Congratulations to you and 'happy birthday' to the little one!

annc
03-19-2005, 12:27 PM
And since dun is my favorite color, AND she's a girl, I may keep her to replace Valentine in my breeding program. She has every bloodline I ever wanted to incorporate in my breeding program - all in one nicely colored package. I just hope she grows up as pretty as her dam!
AnneSound ideal, Anne. Good luck with her.

terrie
03-19-2005, 01:40 PM
>>annew: Our other mare had her foal tonight.

What a cutie!!!

Terrie

JVegVT
03-21-2005, 05:36 PM
What long legs! She's a real beauty. Mama looks very proud, too.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.
--Judy M.