PDA

View Full Version : Print web page to PDF

Andrew B.
05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Using Windows XP with Opera 9.20 Acrobat Professional 8.

I can get Opera to give me a print preview that is driven by the nature of the web page, not the size of a piece of paper or a computer screen. But I can't figure out how to get Acrobat to cooperate with this. It insists on me telling it the size of the PDF.

Is there any way to get Acrobat (or another program) to print PDFs from a browser and simply make it the same size a browser would render the page.

Kelvyn
05-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Print preview will show a page using the style sheet that page uses for printing (assuming the designer has chosen to specify CSS for print). The only way that I know to get a "browser size image" is a screen capture program such as SnagIt. That would show the page as rendered by your particular browser set at your window size and resolution. Not necessarily how it would appear to everyone else.

Or am I missing the point of the question?

Michael Rowley
05-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Andrew:

Is there any way to get Acrobat (or another program) to print PDFs from a browser and simply make it the same size a browser would render the page.

I've used Acrobat Pro 8 to print Web pages from Internet Explorer 7 (Acrobat only puts its icon in IE) extensively, but I didn't know browsers rendered the page to any particular size, so I just let Acrobat get on with it. I do know Acrobat has to be watched, otherwise it does default to US letter size, but that probably doesn't disturb you.

Bo Aakerstrom
05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
I haven't needed to use pdfonline (http://www.pdfonline.com/), but it looks like a handy service if it lives up to what it promises.

Andrew B.
05-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Michael,

I ran a test by using the icon on IE (instead of printing to PDF with Opera). Using the IE icon method solves the problem. I would like it to work in Opera, but maybe this is the best I can do for now.

JVegVT
05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
I have always found printing to be a weak point for Opera. In Linux it's truly dreadful. When I need to print a Web page in Linux I use Firefox. It pains me to say this because Opera is far and away my favorite browser, but its ability to print Web pages decently needs a lot of work.

In Windows I've found IE to be the best for printing (alas, as I don't like to use it). Opera in Windows isn't as bad for printing as Opera in Linux, but it's not nearly as reliable as IE.
--Judy M.

Steve Rindsberg
05-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I wonder if it's to do with the mix of sites you/I visit/print from? I generally have better luck with it than with IE, especially with pages that don't quite fit horizontally (Opera will fit to page, IE doesn't seem to want to).

Or maybe I'm just accustomed enough to its quirks that I don't pay them any mind?

JVegVT
05-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Opera has done badly for me at ALL sites, at least as far as printing in Linux is concerned.

I found IE 6 pretty good for printing. I no longer have IE 6 on any computer. My three XP computers are all using IE 7, which I like a lot better than IE 6 and which has done okay with printing.

My experience is quite limited, though, because I don't use Windows much and use IE even less.
--Judy M.

Andrew B.
05-11-2007, 07:31 PM
I think the icon in IE might be bypassing the normal print mechanism.

Steve Rindsberg
05-12-2007, 10:10 AM
You mentioned Linux before and I neglected to mention that my reply was specific to the Windows version of Opera. Sorry for the confusion.

Steve Rindsberg
05-12-2007, 10:11 AM
The icon supplied by Acrobat? Probably so.