PDA

View Full Version : Peignot

Paul
03-10-2005, 03:14 PM
People may remember that among the few fonts I genuinely dislike is Peignot. For a while it seemed to pursue me: every new font collection that arrived contained either Peignot or a knock-off of it.

I have never had to use Peignot for anything, but today I received an advertisement that has to be set in it. Including faux italics.

ktinkel
03-10-2005, 04:12 PM
People may remember that among the few fonts I genuinely dislike is Peignot. For a while it seemed to pursue me: every new font collection that arrived contained either Peignot or a knock-off of it.

I have never had to use Peignot for anything, but today I received an advertisement that has to be set in it. Including faux italics.Oh, gee. I love Peignot (though rarely its knockoffs — in fact, the Adobe/Lino version doesn’t exactly please me).

Yes, it is often abused. But you have to admit it is original!

donmcc
03-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Oh, gee. I love Peignot (though rarely its knockoffs — in fact, the Adobe/Lino version doesn’t exactly please me).

Yes, it is often abused. But you have to admit it is original!

I like Peignot too, but my God ... faux italic!?

Don McCahill

ktinkel
03-10-2005, 04:39 PM
I like Peignot too, but my God ... faux italic!?Clearly outrageous!

But I still admire the way the French use Peignot — for text. Sophie Brissaud send me scans of an incredibly beautiful book, set all in Peignot. With ornaments.

Since then, I got the specimen book from the foundry. What an incredible face.

But obliques! Mais non!

Paul
03-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Well, I've set one version of the advertisment - without obliques.

I needed to install it from a disk of Bitstream fonts and it took me a long time to remember what Bitstream calls it.

ktinkel
03-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Well, I've set one version of the advertisment - without obliques.

I needed to install it from a disk of Bitstream fonts and it took me a long time to remember what Bitstream calls it.Exotic something-or-other? Oh, here it is in one of my lists: Exotic 350.

URW++ has released its Peignot (http://www.urwpp.de/english/schrift/schrdatba-set.htm), with an extra font of display initials. Not sure what I think of those (do not think they were ever in the original fonts). I have a nice Deberny Peignot specimen book, and it doesn’t have them.

ElyseC
03-12-2005, 02:43 PM
I just knew you'd respond in this thread. <g>