PDA

View Full Version : 60s Rock & Roll on PBS

ktinkel
03-05-2005, 04:32 PM
For all you Americans with access to PBS TV, they have finally come to addressing the 60s. After years of doo-wop (which I must confess I did enjoy) and disco (not enjoyed), they are finally addressing the 60s, which even more than the 50s spoke to my soul.

Tonight we are seeing the Birds, the Mamas & the Papas, Percy Sledge, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison (of the Doors), Canned Heat, Jefferson Airplane, and (right this minute, Eric Burden, he of The Animals, not a favorite!; and quite the grandfather type, let me say). There have been glimpses of Janis Joplin (my personal fave), the Beatles, and more. (I am still waiting to see Country Joe & the Fish, a group in which we had friends.)

It all makes me very happy. If you have PBS, I suggest you find out when you can see this show. If you are too young to understand it, give it a try. If you have a few years on you, enjoy!!

Jonathan
03-05-2005, 06:38 PM
\If you have PBS, I suggest you find out when you can see this show.\And the name of this program is???

JVegVT
03-05-2005, 07:36 PM
And the name of this program is???

My Music Number 104: The 60s Experience.

It's one of those specials they have during fundraising.
--Judy M.

JVegVT
03-05-2005, 07:43 PM
It's on our TV as we speak.

I always enjoy seeing the performers of our young adulthood. They look so old! But then, so do I compared to how I looked in the '60s.

A true nostalgia week. On Thursday night I watched the new Law and Order: Trial by Jury. One of the characters was played by Tony Bill, whom I knew slightly in college. We were in a play together. He was a lead, I was in the chorus (a musical). He looked a lot older, too, but was still sort of recognizable.

And of course, it was Dennis Franz's last NYPD Blue on Tuesday. I knew him slightly in high school. We were both in the school choir, but he was two years behind me. I wonder if he'd like to give me a million dollars for old times' sake?<g> I'm sure he'd never miss it.
--Judy M.

ElyseC
03-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Haven't seen it listed, but maybe I missed it already. Hope not.

A couple of years ago I bought the long, complete Woodstock video for Bruce. He especially would love to see this PBS program. This is pledge week for our local station, so their regular schedule is temporarily out the window.

ElyseC
03-06-2005, 01:50 PM
My Music Number 104: The 60s Experience.

It's one of those specials they have during fundraising.Aha!! This is pledge week for PBS here, so maybe they'll have it! Today they had lots of self-help programs along with Kid Concoctions (which we pledged to KCET for and got when we lived in CA).

Jonathan
03-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Haven't seen it listed, but maybe I missed it already. Hope not.It's showing Wednesday night in the San Diego area.

ktinkel
03-07-2005, 06:06 AM
It's showing Wednesday night in the San Diego area.And last night they had a special on the Mamas and the Papas, with the two survivors (Michelle Philips and Denny ?) commenting.

It was a bit of a puff piece, and not too substantial, but it was nice to hear some of the music and see their young faces.

Maybe that too is coming your way.

Franca
03-07-2005, 11:44 AM
I think I've seen that Mamas and Papas special before but it wasn't on here last night. Last night we had Rod Stewart singing his own oldies and even older oldies from his "American Songbook" series.

ElyseC
03-07-2005, 02:12 PM
It's showing Wednesday night in the San Diego area.Wasn't on yesterday here (Iowa Public Television), but I've not had a chance to check tonight's listings or later in the week. Gotta remember to this evening.

ElyseC
03-07-2005, 02:14 PM
I think I've seen that Mamas and Papas special before but it wasn't on here last night. Last night we had Rod Stewart singing his own oldies and even older oldies from his "American Songbook" series.Had that one here last night, too. Didn't watch (not RS fans), but remember seeing it listed.

Jonathan
03-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Well tonight (Monday) in the KPBS (San Diego PBS affiliate) viewer's guide it just says TBA...

Franca
03-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Well, I was never much of a RS fan, either, but I peeked in about 10 minutes into it and ended up recording it so I could watch it without pledge breaks. It was kind of hokey but entertaining, and he actually sang some songs I like - two of his own and a couple of American classics. His voice which I never cared much for in the first place is pretty trashed, but somehow fits some of the songs he's singing now. I didn't watch any of the interview segments with him yet so I don't know if those were any good.

JohnC
03-12-2005, 08:43 PM
It is on right now in Seattle. I just ran across it in the middle. Just saw the end of a Janis Joplin clip that was interesting. Then "live" performances from The Association and the Grass Roots. It seemed like the musicians were live, but the vocals were prerecorded and the lip synching was really off. Rob Grill (bass/vocals w/grassroots) gave out one of those "you sing it..." to the audience and stepped away from the microphone for the audience to sing "I love you", but his vocal line still played. Oops!

Sounds like the next segment is historic clips (Doors, Credence, Steppenwolf). Hope those go well.

JC

ktinkel
03-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Then "live" performances from The Association and the Grass Roots. It seemed like the musicians were live, but the vocals were prerecorded and the lip synching was really off. Rob Grill (bass/vocals w/grassroots) gave out one of those "you sing it..." to the audience and stepped away from the microphone for the audience to sing "I love you", but his vocal line still played. Oops!Ooops, indeed. Guess I wasn’t really watching.

Sounds like the next segment is historic clips (Doors, Credence, Steppenwolf). Hope those go well.And did it? (I don’t remember being particularly impressed, but I still have strong memories of those times and performances (and a decent rock & roll collection that we actually play from time to time). We are clearly spoiled.

donmcc
03-13-2005, 09:40 AM
I saw bits of this. I preferred the archival footage to the new stuff. Janis at her best, compared to 60+ rockers singing their hits from 40 years ago. Somehow watching old men play the music of my youth makes me feel old. Watching the original stuff makes me feel young.

Don McCahill

JohnC
03-13-2005, 09:57 AM
The Doors clip was there "controversial" one from the Ed Sullivan show where Morrison sang "couldn't get much higher" after promising not to. They never played the Ed Sullivan show again. I would have preferred to see some of the European performances that are available. John Kay (singer from Steppenwolf) really sang his songs. Good video of Hendrix doing Purple Haze. And I don't recall seeing a Joan Baez performance before (they had a short video of We Shall Overcome to end the show).

Afterwards they reprised the 2nd segment, so I got to see Procol Harem do Whiter Shade of Pale. It was a recent performance, but Gary Brooker's voice sounds just like it did back in the 60s (he is also on the George Harrison tribute that often plays in PBS). There was a really bad 60s video of The Moody Blues doing Knights in White Satin. Scott McKenzie seemed to be singing live for If You're Going to San Francisco.

Never got to see the first segment.

Contrary to Don, I'm often surprised at how young some of the 60s performers seem to me now. They seemed so much older than me back in the 60s (I was 10 in 1967). Now they seem to be not much older than I am now. And I'm doing more now than I was in my teens (playing in a band, working with a fire circus, photography, local arts events like parades and celebrations, etc., etc.)

John

ktinkel
03-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Contrary to Don, I'm often surprised at how young some of the 60s performers seem to me now. They seemed so much older than me back in the 60s (I was 10 in 1967). Now they seem to be not much older than I am now. And I'm doing more now than I was in my teens (playing in a band, working with a fire circus, photography, local arts events like parades and celebrations, etc., etc.)I don’t notice their age much, either. Most of them are my contemporaries, so if they didn’t show some age, it would be shocking. And a few look older than they ought to.

A surprising proportion of the musicians actually look better today than they did in the 60s (probably a lifestyle issue!) <g>