PDA

View Full Version : Duck!

dthomsen8
02-23-2007, 02:05 PM
... (Not to mention goose or duck.) Potatoes cooked in their fat are delectable.

My Chinese/Malaysian wife loves roast duck, and we sometimes buy it in Philadelphia's Chinatown or the Vietnamese supermarket, but I have not been able to find frozen duck at a reasonable price. Fresh duck is available, too, in the Italian market, but it is really pricy. The duck is still quacking when you buy it.

ktinkel
02-23-2007, 02:40 PM
My Chinese/Malaysian wife loves roast duck, and we sometimes buy it in Philadelphia's Chinatown or the Vietnamese supermarket, but I have not been able to find frozen duck at a reasonable price. Fresh duck is available, too, in the Italian market, but it is really pricy. The duck is still quacking when you buy it.I find duck breast (frozen and sometimes fresh) in supermarkets.

I often buy roasted duck halves at Costco — since Jack doesn’t like duck, I heat them for myself and he eats pasta.

For geese and fresh duck, I usually have to get them from a local farmer (around the holidays), or order them from a specialty butcher in NYC. (Up here we just look for a farmer.) Fresh ones like these are expensive (sort of like really good beef roasts), but we don’t eat them every day.

Of course, around here, people go out and shoot the ducks in the river. I hate that — I am attached to my duckies, and watch the new babies arrive and their water training.

terrie
02-25-2007, 02:55 PM
kt: I often buy roasted duck halves at CostcoReally?! Where do you find them--are they in the hot food area or ???

Terrie

ktinkel
02-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Really?! Where do you find them--are they in the hot food area or ???In the refrigerator cases. They used to be with the salami stuff, but I think last time I found them amid the semi-prepared meats (the marinated pork tenderloins, etc.).

You get two duck halves, separately cryo-packed so you can throw one in the freezer for later. One half duck makes two dinners and a lunch for me (Jack won't touch duck!), so it is really quite a deal. The package is $8 or so.

terrie
02-26-2007, 03:41 PM
kt: In the refrigerator cases. They used to be with the salami stuff, but I think last time I found them amid the semi-prepared meats (the marinated pork tenderloins, etc.).This is very exciting...I'll check it out the next time I go...I love duck but would never cook one just for me...it sounds like the packaging would be perfect with the 2 halves...

It's already cooked correct--you just have to heat it up???

Thanks!

Terrie

ktinkel
02-26-2007, 06:06 PM
This is very exciting...I'll check it out the next time I go...I love duck but would never cook one just for me...it sounds like the packaging would be perfect with the 2 halves...

It's already cooked correct--you just have to heat it up???Yep. I usually put it in the oven for a few minutes.

dthomsen8
02-27-2007, 09:19 AM
You get two duck halves, separately cryo-packed so you can throw one in the freezer for later. One half duck makes two dinners and a lunch for me (Jack won't touch duck!), so it is really quite a deal. The package is $8 or so.

Inspired by the discussion here, I checked out the SuperFresh meat department for any duck. $9.99 for one duck leg! A frozen duckling is $2.49 per pound, or about $15 to $16. Two duck halves at $8 seems like half the price of the frozen duckling. At the Asian supermarket, my wife bought half a duck for $6, already cooked. They must get those ducks cheap somewhere.

ktinkel
02-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Inspired by the discussion here, I checked out the SuperFresh meat department for any duck. $9.99 for one duck leg! A frozen duckling is $2.49 per pound, or about $15 to $16. Two duck halves at $8 seems like half the price of the frozen duckling. At the Asian supermarket, my wife bought half a duck for $6, already cooked. They must get those ducks cheap somewhere.I suspect Costco could outbid a local Asian market. But these are also not seasoned and cooked like the Chinese ducks I have bought in Asian markets, either, so that could have an effect.

terrie
02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
kt: Yep. I usually put it in the oven for a few minutes.Excellent...I should be going to Costco in the next week or so...will let you know if I find it...

Terrie

ktinkel
02-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Excellent...I should be going to Costco in the next week or so...will let you know if I find it...

TerrieOkay. I think we may be going tomorrow. I’ll let you know if it has suddenly disappeared (things do, there).

terrie
03-01-2007, 02:36 PM
kt: I’ll let you know if it has suddenly disappeared (things do, there).Yeah...they do and it's very annoying when it's something I like...

Terrie

ktinkel
03-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Have no fears — they had a nice big pile of roasted ducks. But not among the salamis, as I said before. I found it next to the slightly prepared meats (marinated tenderloin, that stuff).

And the really good Kirkland olive oil is back. The 2005 batch ran out around Fourth of July last year, so I bought a bunch of the 2006. This is the best all-round olive oil I have found. Yes, there are more spectacular ones, but this is $12/bottle, not $25. And there are lots more poor specimens. So I am very happy with our trip.

I also got a new microwave there. Ours has been dying for months, and now has a failed display, which makes it hard to use. And it is hard to control. The new one actually reduces the power when you ask for less than 100% (instead of turning the thing on and off).

Very successful trip, it was.

terrie
03-01-2007, 02:58 PM
kt: Have no fears — they had a nice big pile of roasted ducks. But not among the salamis, as I said before. I found it next to the slightly prepared meats (marinated tenderloin, that stuff).Cool...will look when I go...

>>And the really good Kirkland olive oil is back.

I've never tried their olive oil...will pick up some of that too...

>>I also got a new microwave there.

Very exciting!

>>Very successful trip, it was.

I'd say so...'-}}

Terrie

ktinkel
03-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Cool...will look when I go...

>>And the really good Kirkland olive oil is back.

I've never tried their olive oil...will pick up some of that too...

>>I also got a new microwave there.

Very exciting!

>>Very successful trip, it was.

I'd say so...'-}}

TerrieYeah, especially as Jack got 12 pairs of his favorite socks!

terrie
03-02-2007, 02:45 PM
kt: especially as Jack got 12 pairs of his favorite socks!ROFL!!!

Terrie