PDA

View Full Version : My new phone

Mike
02-07-2007, 12:01 AM
I needed a new cordless phone for the workshop so I looked on eBay and got seduced by this one (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270083641997&rd=1&rd=1). It hasn't arrived yet.

I imagine the claims of its range are somewhat exaggerated but I assume it will at least further than a standard cordless phone.

Does anyone have any experience of this technology?

Kelvyn
02-07-2007, 01:18 AM
I didn't know that these phones were already licensed for use in the UK. Many home cordless phones now use the 900MHz band, which has four times the range of earlier types, but 2.45GHz potentially has a longer range, especially with an elevated booster antenna. This frequency is used by microwave ovens, bluetooth and wireless LANs, as well as amateur radio, military radio and amateur radio satellite. So I guess the range will really depend on local interference as well as topography - would be no use here as we live in a valley. There was quite a lot of fuss when these phones first became available in the US - see http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2001/05/30/3/

Mike
02-07-2007, 01:58 AM
That's interesting. I had read something about Part 15 licensing on an amateur radio website. That suggested that Part 15 regs allow a pretty much free for all in certain radio bands where manufacturers can certify their own equipment and radio hams can't do much about any interference the devices cause.

We live in a valley so I imagine the range won't be all that great. However, even if it only operates within the valley it will be useful. We don't have any mobile phone signal around here and I always worry when Audrey goes out horseriding. Since she seldom rides outside the valley the phone may prove useful.

I imagine such short wavelengths are pretty much restricted to line of sight so I suspect the 120km range can only be achieved in East Anglia or Holland.

Kelvyn
02-07-2007, 02:57 AM
Let me know how good it is. I know of quite a few people who may be interested in having a greater range.

Mike
02-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Let me know how good it is. I know of quite a few people who may be interested in having a greater range.

It arrived yesterday. It works but I've not had time to test it properly. It has an external antenna that should be mounted at least 3 metres from the ground or any buiding and I've not been able to set that up yet. However, with the antenna lying on the floor in an upstairs room I was able to get a good signal in our field. That's further than our digital cordless phone will reach.

When the snow has gone I'll set up the antenna somewhere and let you know how I get on.